question on increasing rev limiter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so I just installed a cam and was wondering what a safe rev limiter would be and if I need togive the cam some time to break in

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Need a bit more info to answer that question.

What cam?

What are the specs?

Did you do lifters as well?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm really curious as to what you did since it says you have a 2003...

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm really curious as to what you did since it says you have a 2003...
ive posted a few videos but have yet to really try out the cam ill let you know how well it does. it got a little more expensive than I thought though but so far its worth it. I only put jay greene's cam, pushrods, custom locators, 190* thermostat, pac 1218 valve springs, felpro Teflon valve seals, timing cover gasket, 6.1 oil pump(melling one it was cheaper and they make the mopar ones im pretty sure), valve cover gaskets, water pump a few months ago, and exhaust work but not long tubes yet(ill have to wait a month till I get off work) and soon to be ac compressor cause I started prying on it before I got the dreaded hidden third bolt out and It leaked a little Freon(I know im going to hell for destroying the atmosphere haha). but it runs perfectly with the superchip 91 tune and sounds pretty mean.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Your doing great the cam sounds good and running great. 03's are a bit fickle and usually the SC will not reset higher than 6100-6200 rpm. Maybe you will be the exception. Let us know how high it'll allow you to go.

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your doing great the cam sounds good and running great. 03's are a bit fickle and usually the SC will not reset higher than 6100-6200 rpm. Maybe you will be the exception. Let us know how high it'll allow you to go.
hell ill go try 6,500 right now not sure if I have to shift manually or not may have to make a couple passes haha

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well after almost getting pulled over racing a mustang(he got the mustang thank god cause something flew out my window and my truck is the loudest pretty much stock truck ive ever heard at 6,100 rpms I beat him though thank god the blue lights flipped on cause he was catching me haha that's the highest rpm I got before I left off ill wait till headers and quieter muffler cause my truck sounds like its about to blow any second at that high of rpm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD07J3wtUZg&feature=youtu.be
heres one to 6000 rpms though to bad I cant leave it in drive and still hit the superchips rev limiter

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Haha good show, you need a floor shifter and shift light in a 03 since they don't have trans tuning..
Of course you have OD turned off whenever you are playing... converter and gears will give you a whole new world with acceleration and you will really need the shift light as you won't beable to keep up with the tach, well done..

ugdk.jpg

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haha good show, you need a floor shifter and shift light in a 03 since they don't have trans tuning..
Of course you have OD turned off whenever you are playing... converter and gears will give you a whole new world with acceleration and you will really need the shift light as you won't beable to keep up with the tach, well done..

ugdk.jpg
thanks man and just wondering I put my wideband on today same one you got I think and hooked it into trailor brake plug wires very easy. but when idling it goes from rich to lean and back and forth till it finally settles in at 14.7 or 8 is that normal with a cam and no custom tuning? I have it pretty far back(like 2.5 foot past where it y's into a single pipe) and have a couple of really small exhaust leaks so that could be the problem or is that part of what your high idle mod fixes

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
thanks man and just wondering I put my wideband on today same one you got I think and hooked it into trailor brake plug wires very easy. but when idling it goes from rich to lean and back and forth till it finally settles in at 14.7 or 8 is that normal with a cam and no custom tuning? I have it pretty far back(like 2.5 foot past where it y's into a single pipe) and have a couple of really small exhaust leaks so that could be the problem or is that part of what your high idle mod fixes

They are very sensitive and If it is reading around 14.7 then it is doing good. Exhaust leaks will affect it's reading and closer to the engine the better. I have mine plugged into the driver side **** on the header, The O2s is plugged into the passenger side **** were the original wires could reach it. The w/band is most beneficial at wot so you can check your AFR. Which should be reading 12.3- 12.6 at wot.

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are very sensitive and If it is reading around 14.7 then it is doing good. Exhaust leaks will affect it's reading and closer to the engine the better. I have mine plugged into the driver side **** on the header, The O2s is plugged into the passenger side **** were the original wires could reach it. The w/band is most beneficial at wot so you can check your AFR. Which should be reading 12.3- 12.6 at wot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0gfTbeoic&feature=youtu.be
here it is at idle right after pulling into advance auto, but wot is perfect and everything but idle stays below or at 14.7

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That looks normal enough at idle. Just make sure you are running rich enough at wot to protect the engine.

Hemi8073

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll get use to it with time buddy, I hit 6400 rpms on the regular with the same tune. And with gears and headers that thing with start running through those rpms a lot faster so it won't have that feeling of blowing up lololol. Manual shift is your only option on a 03 but like said, with time and practice it actually gets fun

Hemi8073

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12.3-12.8!!!!! I like mine where it's at! 13.0-13.4 and it screams like a bat out of hell Lol. Lean is mean!