Question on noise..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02RAM1500nWNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Guys I hate to ask a stupid question but here goes.. I have a 2002 Ram with the 5.9 in it.. It has had a little chirp for the last 10 months like a bearing going bad.. Well it finally got bad and I replaced the tensioner pulley on it.. Worked like a charm untill I drove it 5 miles and went through a carwash.. I spun all my other pullys while I had my belt off and they seemed fine.. Now a chirp is back.. Not as loud as before but it bothers me because it TOTALLY stopped untill the carwash.. Any suggestions?? Thanks :33:

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Question did you replace the belts.Something may have not realize if you washed the engine and the belt are wet they will slip also if those are old belts they dry out and start churping get you a squirt bottle and spray the belt while its running and see if it churps the belt is starting to dry out.There use to be some stuff called rudeglide I use to put it on peoples car when Philip 66 was around I think they made the stuff.You can use soapy water just don't last.

OP
OP
02RAM1500nWNC

02RAM1500nWNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I didn't replace my belt.. I checked it really well and it appeared to be in good condition.. I'm sure an older belt could chirp. It just puzzles me how it was totally quiet after my pulley repair and then started chirping when some water sprayed on the truck. Im just suspecting that is why it started back.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
There is a lot to take in mind like alternator bearing and fan clutch my 03 Dakota when the weather got cold it would churp until it got hot.You have a serpentine belt it sometime in its life the belt may have slipped and there is a spot when the engine is running.I have seen belts churp or squeal when the weather changes like humidity and cold weather take in mind when you start the engine up when it is cold the belt warms up also.I had to replace my pulleys on my truck this year doing the same thing as you but I also replaced the belt too to be safe all this is ideas that I hope will help you i have experienced over the years .

OP
OP
02RAM1500nWNC

02RAM1500nWNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I appreciate the info guys.. I'm going to change the belt out.. A little preventive maintenance if nothing else.. :favorites37: