Questions you should know the answers to but don't... Post here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In between the buttons for 4wd low, 4wd lock and 2wd there is a letter "N" with a tiny lil button be t to it... WTF is that for?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
?? buttons ??? or dial ?? or lever position ???

on most t-cases, you have neutral between the high & low ranges....but per what you say, you wouldn't have a high range.

Have you checked your owners manual to see what it says ??

edit: OK...look at page 412 of your owners manual.....that button is for neutral. 4WD lock is your high range......

Four-Position Electronically Shifted Transfer Case
(Eight Speed Transmission Only) — If Equipped
This is an electronic shift transfer case and is operated by the 4WD Control Switch Transfer Case Switch), which is located on the instrument panel. This electronically shifted transfer case provides four mode positions:
• Two-Wheel Drive High Range (2WD)
• Four-Wheel Drive Lock High Range (4WD LOCK)
• Four-Wheel Drive Low Range (4WD LOW)
• Neutral (NEUTRAL)
For additional information on the appropriate use of each transfer case mode position, see the information below:
2WD
Rear-Wheel Drive High Range — This range is for normal street and highway driving on dry hard surfaced roads.
4WD LOCK
Four-Wheel Drive Lock High Range — This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Additional traction
for loose, slippery road surfaces only.
4WD LOW
Four-Wheel Drive Low Range — This range provides low speed four-wheel drive. It maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the
same speed. This range provides additional traction and maximum pulling power for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).
NEUTRAL (N)
Neutral — This range disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain. To be used for flat towing behind another vehicle. Refer to “Recreational Towing” in
“Starting And Operating” for further information.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
;) NOS02001.jpg
NITROUS BABY YEAH!

Seriously though, and this should be stickied, "TRANSFER CASE NEUTRAL" if memory serves correctly. For either flat towing (behind an RV) or in the case of other needs where the truck needs towing.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! Good job guys. Now... Why wouldn't you just turn the ******** dial to Neutral instead?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup...it's the Neutral button. It unlocks everything so you can flat tow the truck.

You can also coast really really fast down long grades using it but I don't recommend it. :D

Tried it eh ???.............................

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! Good job guys. Now... Why wouldn't you just turn the ******** dial to Neutral instead?

If you are talking about transmission neutral, most transmission oil pumps are not driven by the prop shaft, the engine must be running. Oil won't get to the moving parts and things burn up. Now you could flat tow with the engine running :) If you are talking about why they just don't put transfer case neutral on the mode dial, the safety guys want to make it difficult to do.... see the post above about going real fast down hill :) I think the fact that transfer cases don't have synchros on the neutral disconnect makes shifting at speed undesirable from a wear point of view.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
factory sport wheel offset for the 20" wheels. is it -19 or +19

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are talking about transmission neutral, most transmission oil pumps are not driven by the prop shaft, the engine must be running. Oil won't get to the moving parts and things burn up. Now you could flat tow with the engine running :) If you are talking about why they just don't put transfer case neutral on the mode dial, the safety guys want to make it difficult to do.... see the post above about going real fast down hill :) I think the fact that transfer cases don't have synchros on the neutral disconnect makes shifting at speed undesirable from a wear point of view.

Most modern transfer cases have an oil pump too......but at least on the NP231-J I took apart, the oil pump was driven by the output gear, not the input.

The older NP-203 & NP205 t-cases I've had apart didn't have oil pumps that I remember, just splash lubrication.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whats that fold out part that comes from under the rear seats to make a solid floor? whats it called so I could try to find it

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whats that fold out part that comes from under the rear seats to make a solid floor? whats it called so I could try to find it

It's called the load floor. I think.
So things I should know but don't.... why is my wife pissed at me.:33:

pullin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Exhaust brake question (Cummins newbie).

It has two settings, one is apparently ON and the other is ?

What is the right way to use this? Do you leave it on one of the settings the entire time you're towing in mountains? Or is it only used in specific instances where you need extra engine braking? The manual has very little to say about using it.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exhaust brake question (Cummins newbie).

It has two settings, one is apparently ON and the other is ?

What is the right way to use this? Do you leave it on one of the settings the entire time you're towing in mountains? Or is it only used in specific instances where you need extra engine braking? The manual has very little to say about using it.

This should answer you question