quick question about foam cannons....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2700 psi power washer I bought at Home Depot a few years back. I have been contemplating getting a foam cannon to do quick washes to my truck in between hand washes. Will my power washer work with a foam cannon? (worried about it generating too much psi) Does the cannon itself regulate the psi coming from the power washer? I know that the different tips control the psi when I clean my driveway. I have a chemical guys storefront in my area and have been thinking about picking this up. Thank you in advance for any info...

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That shouldn't be too much psi as long as you don't get some rinky dink POS cannon. They work great. For some reason, I always forget to use mine. Probably cuz I don't feel like breaking out the power washer anymore to wash my truck lol.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Will it do a sufficient job of cleaning the truck? I know a lot of guys hand wash afterwords and that seems like overkill to me, maybe I'm wrong. I plan to hand wash once a week or so, but this is for the in between.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will it do a sufficient job of cleaning the truck? I know a lot of guys hand wash afterwords and that seems like overkill to me, maybe I'm wrong. I plan to hand wash once a week or so, but this is for the in between.

It's going to really depend what you use in the cannon. If your are hand washing once a week, you should only be getting a light layer of dust/pollen. I'd hit up Adam's polishes for a recommendation for something that will stick to these particles best to allow for rinsing off. May be good with regular stuff and a foam cannon.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I usually go over it with my scrub brush after I hit it with the foam cannon. If my truck is just dusty, I just hit it with water first, then foam cannon it and let it sit and soak, then finish it off with a good rinsing.

OP
OP
TexNorseman

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I usually go over it with my scrub brush after I hit it with the foam cannon. If my truck is just dusty, I just hit it with water first, then foam cannon it and let it sit and soak, then finish it off with a good rinsing.
I heard brushes are horrible on paint, especially black trucks, which mine is

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a foam cannon I got off Amazon with my pressure washer and it works great. It has a air/water mixture control along with a spray pattern control.

Here's a link to the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX2X2T5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How long have you had that cannon for? When I was looking for one I was seeing a lot of complaints about fittings/longevity/spray patterns/coverage with the cheaper ones so I gave up and figured I'll fork out the bigger bucks at some point, but I really hate to spend 100 bucks for a plastic bottle.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long have you had that cannon for? When I was looking for one I was seeing a lot of complaints about fittings/longevity/spray patterns/coverage with the cheaper ones so I gave up and figured I'll fork out the bigger bucks at some point, but I really hate to spend 100 bucks for a plastic bottle.

I've had it for almost 2 years now, and it works just like the first day I got it. It's really solid and has some weight to it. I couldn't see spending a $100 bucks on something that should only cost $20.

I'll post some pics of what the coverage looks like after I wash my truck this weekend. It has a wide range of spray patterns, from a straight stream to almost a 180 degree fan pattern.

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I heard brushes are horrible on paint, especially black trucks, which mine is

IDK, mine a really soft nylon bristle one, and it seems to work well and I haven't ever noticed any ill effects from using it. I always make sure I blast off all the chunky stuff so that nothing big gets in it and can cause a scratch.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had it for almost 2 years now, and it works just like the first day I got it. It's really solid and has some weight to it. I couldn't see spending a $100 bucks on something that should only cost $20.

I'll post some pics of what the coverage looks like after I wash my truck this weekend. It has a wide range of spray patterns, from a straight stream to almost a 180 degree fan pattern.

Thanks stimpy, I would definitely like to see that. I.dont want spend a Benjamin on it either!

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm questioning how much a foam cannon and pressure rinse really does. In the time it takes to hook up everything I could do a two bucket wash that actually gets the dirt off. I want to like and incorporate a quick foam cannon wash into my routine, don't get me wrong, but I question the effectiveness of it.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Better late then never, if it wouldn’t of rain everyday for the last 2 weeks!!! This is after it sat for awhile soaking and i found my phone to take the pictures.

0D78CE2D-B457-4FB2-83A6-2AC2284AC29C.jpeg

E9F1A8D7-9B88-4526-B047-77351640E322.jpeg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
there is a big misconception about foam cannons. They are not a miracle spray on, let it sit, and then rinse car wash. The foam helps loosen dirt and helps prevent fine scratches. To get the vehicle clean you still have to go over it with a soapy sponge. I use a microfiber mitt.

Reactions: JB1

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there is a big misconception about foam cannons. They are not a miracle spray on, let it sit, and then rinse car wash. The foam helps loosen dirt and helps prevent fine scratches. To get the vehicle clean you still have to go over it with a soapy sponge. I use a microfiber mitt.

This is true, but I do like the ability to easily cover and then let it soak before I start scrubbing the grime away. I also use a microfiber mitt.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
This is true, but I do like the ability to easily cover and then let it soak before I start scrubbing the grime away. I also use a microfiber mitt.

I think he was pointing out that it seems like others are using the foam cannon only as a means to clean the vehicle. It should be used with a wash mitt or towel of some sort to actually remove the dirt layer.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think he was pointing out that it seems like others are using the foam cannon only as a means to clean the vehicle. It should be used with a wash mitt or towel of some sort to actually remove the dirt layer.

Yeah, I was agreeing with him that you can't just foam cannon and your truck is spotless clean... still have to scrub it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
and don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying they are a waste of time or a gimmick at all. I love having a foam cannon. I was just saying I have seen(especially on Facebook) where people buy a foam cannon and real cheap walmart soap then spray foam on car, let it soak, rinse it off and expect the car to be clean. Only time that would work is if the car had only dust on it.