R59 Recall - left rear axle shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Received the R59 recall in the mail today. It states that the left rear axle shaft may not have been heat treated properly. This could cause the bearing to create a grinding noise during operation, illuminate the Anti-Lock Brake System warning lamp and eventually an axle shaft fracture. This could cause the wheel to separate from the vehicle. Just wanted to let everyone know since this seems to be a major safety risk.

OP
OP
Ram75

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I forgot to mention, it stated this recall was only for 2015 and 2016 (1500) models.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer did mine Fri. when I had it in for a noisy wiper motor.Wasn't the dealer I purchased from so I guess they ran my VIN.I'm guessing they needed the work.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer did mine Fri. when I had it in for a noisy wiper motor.Wasn't the dealer I purchased from so I guess they ran my VIN.I'm guessing they needed the work.

Recall or warranty work can be done by any dealer you choose. All vehicles are checked for recalls any time they come in the shop to make sure they get done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got this in today as well if I take it to a different dealer will they put down that my trucks been lowered and has a exhaust cutout on?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maple, The truck being lowered and modified exhaust has nothing to do with the recall. Should be performed either way. As far as I know, there is no place to note that the vehicle has been modified. Most people won't care.

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool thanks jwheeler for the reply Im going to set up an appointment soon, I don't want anything to happen when I'm flying low at 106 mph trying to race any sports cars on the freeway, lol

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha for sure. If you get your truck to any kind of speed like that a broken axle will really ruin your day.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recall or warranty work can be done by any dealer you choose. All vehicles are checked for recalls any time they come in the shop to make sure they get done.

True but you'll normally get better treatment from the dealer you bought it from.The dealer that did it is a stones throw from work,compared to about 45 mins. to where I bought it.Would've bought there probably,but they had no product at the time.

DocCasualty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All vehicles are checked for recalls any time they come in the shop to make sure they get done.
I would have thought so but not necessarily. I bought this 2015 Ram this past November from a local dealer who I feel is quite reputable. They did whatever service they do @ 19,500 miles in prep for selling it. Then I brought it in a couple of times for minor warranty things and nothing was ever said.

I brought it in for a CEL which they determined was a fuel sensor and scheduled that repair. In the mean time I discovered the “My Ram” app and that told me about this axle recall, and that my vehicle was possibly affected by it. I wasn’t sure if that was accurate so when I went in to pick up the vehicle after the sensor repair I asked if there were any outstanding recalls, they ran my VIN which confirmed this had never been addressed.

Took it in yesterday and my axle was from the questionable lot and replaced. I have no idea how the former owner didn’t have this taken care of but I’m really surprised the dealer didn’t catch this themselves.