RA3 8.4 Tailgate Camera While in Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys, last year I purchased a used RA3 out of a 2017 1500 and the harness from a member on here. After a great install and no issues, I discovered a friends 2500 series truck which came with the RA3/4 to have a "Rear Camera" icon. When you press it, it turns the tailgate camera on while in drive. Looking closely at my radio I do not have this option. Is there any way to get it?

Mike Merzke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Cargo Camera on order from Infotainment.com and also ordering the OBD Genie to program it. I was told that Flash that comes with that will unlock that option to view both the tailgate and cargo camera while driving.... guess we will see for sure as soon as it all gets here.

7WrencH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the Cargo Camera on order from Infotainment.com and also ordering the OBD Genie to program it. I was told that Flash that comes with that will unlock that option to view both the tailgate and cargo camera while driving.... guess we will see for sure as soon as it all gets here.
Did your upgrade flash kit come in ? Did it work ? What was the cost on it and where did you order it from ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, last year I purchased a used RA3 out of a 2017 1500 and the harness from a member on here. After a great install and no issues, I discovered a friends 2500 series truck which came with the RA3/4 to have a "Rear Camera" icon. When you press it, it turns the tailgate camera on while in drive. Looking closely at my radio I do not have this option. Is there any way to get it?
The backup camera in motion option is only available on the 2016 and newer trucks. Unfortunately if your truck.is a 13 to 15 the option is not even in your BCM so you cannot buy an OBD Genie to turn it on. The cargo camera from OBD Genie the other member is speaking about is basically a camera that's integrated into your third brake light and shows an image inside your truck bed which you can access while driving.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mike Merzke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your upgrade flash kit come in ? Did it work ? What was the cost on it and where did you order it from ?

I am out of town traveling for the day job but I do believe that it has been delivered. I ordered it from OBDGenie.com and it is $200 for the OBD Genie and if you have them add additional flashes for other upgrades its just an additional $100. I ordered the Cargo Camera and MTC to ATC Flashes.

Mike Merzke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The backup camera in motion option is only available on the 2016 and newer trucks. Unfortunately if your truck.is a 13 to 15 the option is not even in your BCM so you cannot buy an OBD Genie to turn it on. The cargo camera from OBD Genie the other member is speaking about is basically a camera that's integrated into your third brake light and shows an image inside your truck bed which you can access while driving.

This is the cargo camera I ordered. https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/ram-chmsl-third-brake-light-cargo-camera-kit and according to the website when you get your BCM flashed it also unlocks the backup camera while driving.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the cargo camera I ordered. https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/ram-chmsl-third-brake-light-cargo-camera-kit and according to the website when you get your BCM flashed it also unlocks the backup camera while driving.
I am very familiar with the OBD Genie and what it does. Similar to the AE tool (which I own) it is able to enable certain codes that are already stored in the BCM that in some cases the dealer cannot access. It does not add codes to the BCM. The backup camera in motion option was not added to the Ram until 2016. We have looked with the AE tool and it does not appear to be available in the BCM of the 2013,14 or 15 trucks. That being said I'm hoping that infotainment figured something out that I'm not aware of and is actually able to get The Back-up camera in motion to function on the older Ram trucks by possibly integrating it with the cargo camera or by some other means. I noticed they said you needed to have the latest firmware update in order for their system to work which I find interesting because I know it changes some of the button placements. I'm hoping I'm wrong and they actually got something figured out that I'm not aware of. Good luck and let us know how it goes

OP
OP
17RedSled

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am very familiar with the OBD Genie and what it does. Similar to the AE tool (which I own) it is able to enable certain codes that are already stored in the BCM that in some cases the dealer cannot access. It does not add codes to the BCM. The backup camera in motion option was not added to the Ram until 2016. We have looked with the AE tool and it does not appear to be available in the BCM of the 2013,14 or 15 trucks. That being said I'm hoping that infotainment figured something out that I'm not aware of and is actually able to get The Back-up camera in motion to function on the older Ram trucks by possibly integrating it with the cargo camera or by some other means. I noticed they said you needed to have the latest firmware update in order for their system to work which I find interesting because I know it changes some of the button placements. I'm hoping I'm wrong and they actually got something figured out that I'm not aware of. Good luck and let us know how it goes

My truck is a 2017, I really could use this option... but I don’t know how to get it activated

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This OBDGenie thing... Does it stay plugged in all the time or is it just once for programming an option, then removed and stored?

Russ

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This OBDGenie thing... Does it stay plugged in all the time or is it just once for programming an option, then removed and stored?

Russ

It gets plugged in once and it flashes the correct options in the trucks Body Control Module. No need to keep it plugged in but you will want to keep it in case the dealer flashes your BCM at some point and you need to enable the option again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
17RedSled

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone happen to have one of these? I just looked online and they are kind of expensive.