Raced a 16 Silverado 2500hd-6.0...LOST

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by SHOOT2KILL, Dec 26, 2016.

1. loveracing1988

loveracing1988 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    smiley3303 and RAM_Designs like this.
  2. RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    Danno is the epitome of a loser troll who lives in his parent's basement.

3. RamNoob

RamNoob Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Well here goes my race story, when I lived in new York there was a bridge that connected the two towns next to each other with a stop light at either end. But, only the right lane the one i was in was the lane to keep going straight at the other side of the bridge.

So here I am 19, in my 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke drw cc long bed with my dads trailer and roughly 4 tons of coal. Some asshole that i went to school with was out driving his brand new corvette thing with his girl. I had my window down and he shouted bet I can beat you to the other side i laughed. So like any 19 year old would do, i started to brake boost. When the light turned green the vette was gone and here i am at the light watching the undercover cop that was behind me go screaming out to get him.

Needless to say i did make it to the other side of the bridge first, i waved to that kid i went to school with as i drove by and he gave me the finger. I still laugh about it to this day.

mondo and smiley3303 like this.
  4. avolnek

avolnek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
    Engine:
    We have all done stupid sh!t in our days but 100 mph racing with a snow plow and a load of salt definitely endangered many more than I've ever done... Thank god no one ran out in front of you....

Story would be better if she got out and got in your truck by the way...

Gary's Hemi likes this.
  5. smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Gives new meaning to "racing for pink"

6. smiley3303

smiley3303 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L

I think we all grow up and learn sometimes when you lose you actually win and sometimes when you lose you actually win. It was a message of White Men Can't Jump long ago and it was and still is spot on. Unfortunately most of us still have flashes of needing to "win" at all cost and do stupid things. No judgement here on any post. At the end of the day your decision your consequence. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and sometimes the result isn't even obvious until looking back. :)

7. yoda

yoda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Working on these trucks everyday I actually would want the RFE over the Aisin. In my experience unless you are heavily modded they are excellent transmissions, easier to work on and less expensive to repair than the aisin.

Just wondering what you are basing your opinion on.

8. smiley3303

smiley3303 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L

Complaints... I don't work on them to be clear just thinking the GM model has worked well for them selling the transmission really more than the engine. Most agree the Cummins is a better engine but most also agree the Allison is a better transmission than the Ram standard issue. Have you had people complain or make fun of the Ram engines? Most people I know who may hate on Dodge/Ram can't say anything about the engines because too to bottom they are pretty awesome. The transmission reputation has lacked and even if it was marketing look at the Hemi... marketing sells.

I also believe overbuilt is always better than under built. Give people what they probably won't push to the limit vs what they will.

9. HS-LD

HS-LD Member

Ram Year:
    2017 2500 Tradesman
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    I'd get out and torch my truck if I lost to a frickin' SNOW PLOW...

usaf2006 likes this.
  10. HS-LD

HS-LD Member

Ram Year:
    2017 2500 Tradesman
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi

The 66/68 are actually great trannies. It's only on the forums where they get humped to death. There's a guy who runs a fleet of ram Diesels out of Louisiana relocating cars. He's got about 10, and a few have 2+ million miles on them. He said he buys the 68rfe's because he knows at 350,000 they need to be rebuilt and they are cheaper to rebuild than the Aisins.

He's not drag racing, and the trucks are stock. Just being used for what they were built for and the trannies do what they are supposed to do.

Now the 545's were actually garbage and the new ZF 8 speeds have no fluid check dipstick and "Lifetime" fluid (whose lifetime?)

To check the fluid on a ZF 8 speed you need a computer and NASA certified scientist as an assistant. Not for me...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
    smiley3303 likes this.