Raced a 16 Silverado 2500hd-6.0...LOST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The 8 speed may be great, hasn't been around long enough to know for sure. I'm not ready to jump on the band wagon yet. I can say if it fails out of warranty, pucker up $$$$$
To be fair the out of warranty rebuild cost on a 68rfe is still outrageous.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The ZF 8HP has actually been around for a while and goes into a lot more vehicles than you think since 2008.

ZF 8HP transmission

It shares many of the same parts as the 6 HP, but with more planetary gears and clutches. Failure rates should be not be significantly different.

The Aisin TL-80SN 8-speed has been out even longer than the ZF 8HP 8-speed.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The ZF 8HP has actually been around for a while and goes into a lot more vehicles than you think since 2008.

ZF 8HP transmission

It shares many of the same parts as the 6 HP, but with more planetary gears and clutches. Failure rates should be not be significantly different.

Yes I am aware that, But it hasn't been in a Dodge very long. Dodge/Ram guys seem to be able to wreck anything. LOL

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Yes I am aware that, But it hasn't been in a Dodge very long. Dodge/Ram guys seem to be able to wreck anything. LOL

So would a Cummins engine have a higher risk of failing sooner just because it is in a Ram versus a Ford?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So would a Cummins engine have a higher risk of failing sooner just because it is in a Ram versus a Ford?
I think he is more saying dodge/ram owners are a little harder on their vehicles than Audi drivers who got the 8hp70 first.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

No, Cummins produces the engine. The ZF8HP used in RAM trucks is licensed and produced by FCA so despite it's history in other cars it has only been produced for the RAM platform a relatively short period of time. QA and QC are both managed by FCA so it is completely legitimate to question the longevity.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
In comparison to another transmission that was built and designed by Chrysler? I think I would trust the reliability of a ZF designed and Chrysler produced 8HP over a Chrysler designed and produced 66/68rfe even if it has only been in Rams for a shorter time period. ZF has been known to design some damn good and reliable transmissions, Chrysler not so much.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think he is more saying dodge/ram owners are a little harder on their vehicles than Audi drivers who got the 8hp70 first.

what he said

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

No, Cummins produces the engine. The ZF8HP used in RAM trucks is licensed and produced by FCA so despite it's history in other cars it has only been produced for the RAM platform a relatively short period of time. QA and QC are both managed by FCA so it is completely legitimate to question the longevity.

And what he said.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In comparison to another transmission that was built and designed by Chrysler? I think I would trust the reliability of a ZF designed and Chrysler produced 8HP over a Chrysler designed and produced 66/68rfe even if it has only been in Rams for a shorter time period. ZF has been known to design some damn good and reliable transmissions, Chrysler not so much.

Like I said earlier the Chrysler RE/RH series trans yes, gave dodge a bad reputation that still lingers. RFE excellent trans.

Not saying the ZF is bad maybe it will prove to be great. Also ZF has built some turds in the past too.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I would still trust a ZF designed 8-speed transmission over a Chrysler designed 6-speed RFE any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The RFE shifts like junk compared to the 6R140, 6L90, and Allison. The 6R140 and 6L90 have significantly better gear gearing too which is the major reason why GM HD and Ford SD gasers are actually putting more torque to the wheels in just about every gear than the Ram 6.4L even though it has more engine torque. The 6.4L deserves a better trans with better gearing to better utilize its power. the person at Ram why desided to put the "made for diesel" RFE behind the 6.4L versus a ZF 8HP90 should have been fired.

The RFE also cannot handle added power in the diesels like the Allison or 6R140 can either. Set the other two on a table and they will make the RFE look like it belongs in a minivan in a size comparison alone.

Although, using the "it is new and hasn't been in Ram's long enough" argument seems kind of silly when the 8HP has been in Ram's longer than the 6.4L has yet that wasn't an issue.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Perception is reality - Ram brings a lot of the tranny bashing on themselves by offering a "premium" transmission for their diesels and chassis cabs with the Hemi. The "standard" tranny will always have 2 strikes against it from the start.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Perception is reality - Ram brings a lot of the tranny bashing on themselves by offering a "premium" transmission for their diesels and chassis cabs with the Hemi. The "standard" tranny will always have 2 strikes against it from the start.

Exactly, I only am defending the RFE transmissions because people look to the internet to research truck purchases. The RFE is a durable proven trans. A design that has been around 18 years.
By reading some of these internet transmission experts you would come away thinking they are junk.
They don't shift like junk compared to the Aisin or the ZF. They probably don't fail at a higher rate than the Aisin or ZF.
The gearing could be better, but It is way way overblown, I would guess 99% of people would never even notice, but they saw it on you tube or read it on some internet forum.
You are free to disagree, I am simply giving my opinion. An opinion based on working on trucks and transmissions everyday for the last 25+years

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine

ZF 8HP transmission

ZF 8HP is a passenger vehicle transmission not for severe duty. Ram advertises them as no service required, lifetime fluid. ZF recommends changing the fluid.

545rfe is bulletproof and 66rfe is just a modified 545rfe.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ZF 8HP is a passenger vehicle transmission not for severe duty. Ram advertises them as no service required, lifetime fluid. ZF recommends changing the fluid.

545rfe is bulletproof and 66rfe is just a modified 545rfe.
My God, the 545 is bulletproof? What kind of drugs are you on? There are different torque capabilities in the HP series, hence why the one we want is behind the hellcat.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Exactly, I only am defending the RFE transmissions because people look to the internet to research truck purchases. The RFE is a durable proven trans. A design that has been around 18 years.

The 66/68RFE has NOT been around for 18 years.

If you are counting the 4 and 5-speed version since they share the last RFE designation then I can say that the 8HP design has been around since the early 90s with the inception of the 5HP since they share the same base design. Saying either is just ludicrous.

The torque limitations on the 68RFE is a major reason why the Cummins has such a restrictive torque management versus the other diesel's. But what do I know, I only worked for Cummins and been in the heavy and medium duty industry for over two decades.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

A big reason for the Aisin in the cab and chassis 6.4L models has to do with the PTO provision which the 66/68RFE does not have. Without a PTO provision, it would keep Ram out of a lot of markets like wrecker, refuge, and dump beds where PTO's are required.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
My God, the 545 is bulletproof? What kind of drugs are you on? There are different torque capabilities in the HP series, hence why the one we want is behind the hellcat.

Then get a hellcat, there is a big difference in applications between passenger vehicle and a HD truck. 8HP70L the commercial 8speed is only rated for 470 nm (346 ft lbs).

There is different capacities for different applications, hints why there's only one for light commercial vehicle.

Do some research, ZF manufacture site.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 66/68RFE has NOT been around for 18 years.

If you are counting the 4 and 5-speed version since they share the last RFE designation then I can say that the 8HP design has been around since the early 90s with the inception of the 5HP since they share the same base design. Saying either is just ludicrous.

The torque limitations on the 68RFE is a major reason why the Cummins has such a restrictive torque management versus the other diesel's. But what do I know, I only worked for Cummins and been in the heavy and medium duty industry for over two decades.[/QUOTE

The 45RFE that came out in I believe the 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7.
Was always capable of being a 6 speed, all the planetaries were there. Same basic design, Beefed up, larger case, More clutch packs,heavier converter, larger components in the 66/68 RFE. So not ludicrous. How many have you had apart?
I can't comment on the 5HP because I know nothing about it and have never had one apart
What does working for Cummins have to do with anything?
Sorry your getting but hurt. Because someone disagrees with you.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Then get a hellcat, there is a big difference in applications between passenger vehicle and a HD truck. 8HP70L the commercial 8speed is only rated for 470 nm (346 ft lbs).

There is different capacities for different applications, hints why there's only one for light commercial vehicle.

Do some research, ZF manufacture site.
d62acb11a478e5e4d1519133950b6838.png
I'll just leave this here...