Radiator flush DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyrone456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you mix coolant? My radiator coolant is green reserve is pink.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it is just a good rule of thumb to not mix different coolants/color coolants. Ma Mopar is using a HOAT type coolant which has different inhibitor properties than standard ethylene glycol (green coolant). If you are going to use a different coolant, make certain to flush the coolant system first just to be safe. I know mixing Dexcool (GM coolant) with ethylene glycol will coagulate in the block when heated to operating temperature, it happened to my dad in a used Caddy he bought.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

In my head it makes sense. But if Prestone says on their coolant. ANY MAKE, ANY MODEL, ANY COLOR. They have claimed that for years with no problems. I would say yes you could. But it makes a weird looking color. I personally, and this is just how my mind works. I like to keep things as one. So, if your coolant color is pink, I would keep it pink. Or if you go to green. Change it all out to green. But if you do mix. You should be just fine. Prestone wouldn't make that claim if it was going to cause problems. But I don't like the color it makes, so I'm gonna flush mine out too all green. Would I be fine to Leave the color i don't like in my radiator??? Lol YES!!! It would be fine. But in the back of my mind, it bothers me.

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like all one fluid too but want to remove as much old antifreeze as possible. Sooo I am going to replace the antifreeze on my '06 Ram by drain/flush the radiator and overflow tank, reverse flush the heater core AND drain the engine block coolant. Will also replace the thermostat as suggested by Overkill. After filling with 50/50 mixture Amsoil Low Toxicity Antifreeze I will idle the engine with the coolant cap removed until the thermostat opens up twice (for burping the system) then top off the radiator. Dispose of the toxic fluid and then have a cold one! All fresh and new right?

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There looks to be only ONE engine block coolant drain on my 5.7 Hemi. Its on the passenger side rear of the block.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When should I think about doing thing how many miles

The 4.7L can be a bit tricky to get all the air out of the cooling system once flushing is complete and it becomes time for final fill. Be sure also to turn the heater on full blast while performing final fill with the engine running to enhance air bleeding. The bleeder screw is located on the upper radiator hose fitting on the engine side of the hose up about 2 inches and requires an allen wrench to remove it. Good luck!