Radio wiring harness shutting truck off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Okay I know this may sound crazy but I think my new radio wiring harness keeps turning my truck off.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an ATOTO M4 (One of those cool android radio units) and installed it with a METRA XVSI-6502-NAV harness.

The install went perfect and the radio was working amazing! Every featured worked with the truck just fine. Except that was the first time I turned the truck on. The next day I was leaving for work and the truck started but then shut off about 4 seconds after running! I had no idea what was going on...

The only way I could get it to run is to disconnect the negative battery terminal. After that it ran fine! But now about every other time I start the truck it will only run for 4 seconds then just crank with no start. I have to keep disconnecting the battery to go somewhere.

Okay fine, so how do I know it may be the harness? Well I was driving one night and when I turned on my lights the radio screen did not dim! (I checked that when I first got the radio and it dimmed just fine) so that leads me to believe its the harness.

Has anyone else had this problem? Im going to contact Metra here shortly but I have no idea whats going on?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That harness is running ground somewhere bud, check the wires and make sure you didn't scrape off some wire insulator and is touching metal intermittently. There is some sharp edges in the dash. Trust the blood stains on my seat for that.

OP
OP
cliftonclendenen

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Did you get it figured out

Yeah apparently the Metra wiring harness would always pull power even while off. I replaced it with a regular wiring harness without that stupid technology box and It worked like a charm.

OP
OP
cliftonclendenen

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
In addition to that, since the battery level was low, the trucks anti theft would see that it is too low and it would start but then the truck would shut off.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s weird. I have that same harness and let my truck sit for over a month at a time, a lot. It fires right up with no problems every time.

It doesn’t even make sense why it would shut down after starting due to thinking it has low voltage. If the truck started, then the biggest power draw (the starter) is already done.

It all comes down to the can bus system in the 06-up trucks is EXTREMELY ********. What works fine in one truck for some reason just won’t work in another truck. I’ve seen people swap headlight bulbs and lose the function of their power locks and windows. It’s the most finicky crap I’ve ever seen in my life.

Although I feel like that box in the metra harness was defective. It definitely shouldn’t have been causing those issues.

OP
OP
cliftonclendenen

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
That’s weird. I have that same harness and let my truck sit for over a month at a time, a lot. It fires right up with no problems every time.

It doesn’t even make sense why it would shut down after starting due to thinking it has low voltage. If the truck started, then the biggest power draw (the starter) is already done.

It all comes down to the can bus system in the 06-up trucks is EXTREMELY ********. What works fine in one truck for some reason just won’t work in another truck. I’ve seen people swap headlight bulbs and lose the function of their power locks and windows. It’s the most finicky crap I’ve ever seen in my life.

Although I feel like that box in the metra harness was defective. It definitely shouldn’t have been causing those issues.

Yeah I have no idea. I honestly have no idea what that box thing does cause my regular sounds from like doors being opened is still there...

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have no idea. I honestly have no idea what that box thing does cause my regular sounds from like doors being opened is still there...

The chime speaker is in the gauge cluster. The radio/harness doesn’t affect the factory chimes and beeps.

That box basically works with the can bus system to translate what is going on since it doesn’t work like a normal 12v system. Also gives outputs for navigation, backup cameras, e brake etc right there for people who are installing any of that stuff.

OP
OP
cliftonclendenen

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The chime speaker is in the gauge cluster. The radio/harness doesn’t affect the factory chimes and beeps.

That box basically works with the can bus system to translate what is going on since it doesn’t work like a normal 12v system. Also gives outputs for navigation, backup cameras, e brake etc right there for people who are installing any of that stuff.

Oh okay that makes sense. I was going to do my reverse camera, which I can probably still do because it is tied in with the reverse lights to make it turn he camera on the head unit