Ram 2500 Diesel Winter Driving Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smkied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
So I've got a new 2013 2500 diesel, just picked it up yesterday. And yes, it's far from winter right now... but I wanted to get some input, since it's hopefully fresh in everyone's mind :)

I live in Calgary, AB, and the winters get pretty crazy here with icey roads especially. Wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced drivers on how to adjust handling and driving based on conditions. I'm coming from a Nissan Titan, so have some experience in terms of how to drive a truck in the winter but now that this thing has a whopping 800 torque I could anticipate more traction issues. Also I would imagine a Titan 4x4 system is quite different from the RAM as well.

Also this is the Outdoorsman edition, so it only has the 2WD, 4WD Lock and 4WD Low modes. No locking diff either.

Thanks ahead for all the info!! :)

OP
OP
S

smkied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P.S. Probably the biggest thing on my mind is higher speed conditions like going on a highway at 100 km/h or just driving to work down one of the main roads at 80 km/h with turns and such... I know certain trucks are more prone to "spinning out" on turns at these sorts of speeds etc. because of how their 4x4 systems work.

In the titan, as soon as the roads got bad I was basically in 4x4 mode until they were good again and that seemed to keep solid traction all around even during turns and it was easy to stay in control.

However, I have heard a lot of people say not to touch the 4x4 mode in icey conditions once you get moving because it just makes things worse and you are more likely to lose control. So, that's where my thinking comes into play that different systems behave differently.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I have had mine on some pretty crazy roads... on the bad days, I run sandbags in my bed just for extra insurance and traction. Plug your truck in on the cold nights. And drive carefully. You have the transfer case toggle switch on the dash right? I drive in 2WD as often as possible and if needed, switch over to 4WD High for extra traction. Keep in mind 4WD kills fuel mileage. Its nice with these trucks, because you can switch from 2WD to 4H while you are moving. I have never heard of any issues of switching over on ice.

So just be careful, these trucks have heavy front ends with super light rear ends, just easy on the skinny pedal at stop lights to keep traction.

All in all, just be careful, drive your truck, learn how it handles and you will be fine.

Congrats on the truck by the way!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
They arent to much different
As you expect they do like to spin the rear tires but once you throw it in 4x4 you wont have any problems
They dont like pushing the heavy front ends up hills in less you have momentum
The only time I usually have to use 4x4 is turning into my road which is a hill or turning into my driveway which is also up hill haha

Sandbags arent a bad idea, the extra weight isnt really noticeable with the power you have (MPG wise either)

I believe you can engage 4x4 at up to 70-75 mph but I usually try to do it while stopped

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I loved mine, a 2003 with the 5.9L, in the snow. The heavy front end would knock through snow/slush berms and piles like they weren't there. It stayed planted and didn't get pulled around. I had no problem with spinning. If anything, the smooth torque and the weight of the diesel might be better. As with any heavy duty (i.e., tightly sprung) truck, though, 4wd is a requirement.

The only other winter tip is it takes forever for a diesel to warm up unless you get up to highway speed or are otherwise making the engine work. Slow speeds and idling in traffic and it will be cold in the cab with minimal defrost capabilities for 20 minutes or more. Unlike a gasser, idling in the driveway doesn't warm it up very fast. The tip is to keep it in a warm garage or plug in the block heater.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was talking about spinning in 2wd

I have actually never plugged in and we see -5*f with -25* wind chills

OP
OP
S

smkied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the info!!

So it sounds like, when I am in 4x4 mode the RAM should hold traction pretty good. I'll find out soon enough when first snow hits later in the year :)

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've spent 25 years driving around norhtern Alberta, in many different trucks, you'll find little difference in your RAM from your Titan. easy on the gas, and brake early.
The diesel needs to be plugged in, not an option must be done, will start below -10'C not plugged in but hard on it.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If its really cold its good practice to cycle the grid heater twice (wait for the wait to start light to go off, turn the key to off and on again untill the wait to start goes off a second time)

These trucks with common rail injection are much easier to start in cold temperatures then mechanicaly injected diesels

If you do plan on plugging your truck in use a GFCI outlet and find a heavy duty timer that you can set to come on an hour our two before you plan on leaving. Plugging your truck in all night every night will raise your electricity bill $40-$60 a month

OP
OP
S

smkied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yikes good call on the timer! I guess it really does add up and not much benefit having it plugged in all the time... will check into that for sure!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Owners manual says 55mph tops.

I never go higher than 35mph in 4wd.

So you never go on the expressway in 4 wheel drive? Without 4x4 I was struggling to even maintain 35 with the snows we were having this year, I tried it a few times but then said screw gas mileage and put it in 4 hi and went.

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
So you never go on the expressway in 4 wheel drive? Without 4x4 I was struggling to even maintain 35 with the snows we were having this year, I tried it a few times but then said screw gas mileage and put it in 4 hi and went.

I stayed in 4hi the whole time. My tires reallly gripped the ice/snow great this past winter

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Your not supposed to switch the transfer case over 55, you can travel over that once you are in the range you want
If you need 4x4 you probably shouldn't be doing 55 anyway

OP
OP
S

smkied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find that having 4x4 engaged at high speeds prevents you from losing control if conditions change like a patch of ice going up hill etc. Also it helps maintain traction around long turns while you're accelerating. Doing that in 2wd mode gives you high risk of losing traction and spinning out on a turn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
And again in those conditions, its not wise to go 55 mph +/- in an 8000 lb truck IMO