Ram 2500 Hemi vs 3500 SRW Cummins

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by crashguy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. yoda

yoda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    I work on these things everyday and went with the 6.4 over the Cummins for the mental peace of mind. I would be thinking "is my DEF system going to take a shit and tell me I have 150 miles untill I am restricted to 5 mph when I am on vacation towing my camper somewhere?"With the gas it may take a little longer but at least I will get there and back. LOL

2. loveracing1988

loveracing1988 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    My first answer would be "why not"? Going from 800 ft lbs to 900 ft lbs would be a positive too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    That is a fairly flawed reason lacking research. Of the 10s of thousands of these current emissions Cummins on the road, only a few have had issues and most of those were traced back to, for example, Walmart DEF jugs returned full of water, from what I've read on the various forums.

The reliability and dependability of the Cummins are unequaled.

Better reasons would be cost, small increase of maintenance costs, slow warm-up in cold weather, annoying dead-pedal, reduced vehicle payload, dual batteries, etc.

loveracing1988 likes this.
  4. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    You are not missing anything unless I am too. I did the same research before ordering my 2015 SRW. The 68RFE earned a bad reputation back in the days when all the Cummins guys had to do to increase power was turn a screw on the injector pump pushing the power well beyond what the 68RFE was designed to handle.

The Aisin was brought into the mix for the C&C so a PTO could be offered for services vehicles like tow and dump. Because the Aisin made its way onto the pickups, folks got the impression it was a better transmission which it isn't. A bit of research on Allpar and the Cummins forum will yield results that Aisin owners do not want to hear. Also remember the C&C Cummins are derated to 600-foot pounds and serve the commercial duty market well.

In the Aisin 68RFE side by side tear-down compare, the differences were minor giving the Aisin the ability to handle more torque, but not $2,600 better and increasing your service costs since the Aisin requires more frequent service intervals.

If I was going to go to a dually I might consider the Aisin for the addition 100 foot-pounds but unless I am towing north of 20,000 I think I will keep the $2,600 in my pocket.

My thoughts after careful consideration, what did I miss? Now that I have two seasons of towing a 15,000 fiver, I'm not feeling I got cheated with the 68RFE.

5. yoda

yoda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Research? What research are you referring to? Reading internet forums?
    I work on this stuff everyday, just had one this week. No other emissions system shuts you completely down until it is fixed, There is no limping it home. That's my main issue with any of the new diesels. These systems are very complex, lots of things to fail. Thy fail on fairly new trucks, it only gets worse with age and miles.
    Not the manufacturers fault, Federal Gov. mandated it that way.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. loveracing1988

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    They mandated the emissions standards, it is up to the manufacturers to meet it however they want, they don't have to use DEF, but it is what we have right now. I'm sure in a few years there will be some breakthrough and it will simplify the emissions to that of a gas motor, but until then I find it kind of nice driving behind diesel trucks that don't belch black smoke.

7. yoda

yoda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Agreed. but the Feds mandated if your DEF system fails, the truck cannot be driven. Period. They could at least have let the manufacturer, derate the engine, or max speed 55. Nope your dead on the road. You can have a gas motor running pig rich cat converter missing belching hydrocarbons and you can still drive it. Not fair or reasonable in my opinion

8. loveracing1988

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I partially understand their reasoning, but you are right it isn't right. As far as I understood it though it gives you a warning as to how far you have to go until it goes into limp mode, but I don't have any actual experience with them.

9. yoda

yoda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    You get 150 miles, then truck will go 5 mph max. If your on vacation out west etc. Your callin a tow truck. Im not saying this is super common, but it happens.
    My biggest gripe is allot of guys don't know this. They show up at our dealer and are pissed at me because the parts on backorder or whatever. I feel for them but I didn't build the thing or make the rules.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  10. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Yoda - you work on them and I used to design them, well, I was a powertrain engineer that worked on teams (one of hundreds of folks) that designed diesel, gas, and hybrid powertrains (GM retired).

My point was, you may work on one here and there but keep focused the 10s of thousands that never had an issue. Using a DEF system as justification not to buy a diesel, well, it isn't a good reason as I was attempting to point out.

There are many reasons that will put a gas powertrain into limp-home mode too.