Ram Tailgate Eyes Installed w/ writeup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok I'm sure this has been covered on here before but if not.

I installed the Ram Eyes Mod last week and I couldn't be happier with it.

1. First I pulled the badge off by heating it with a hair dryer and using fishing line to work behind it. Then I took off the access panel on the inside of the tailgate and I was able to reach inside and with a little pressure, the badge came right off.

2. I used 3M adhesive remover and a lot of elbow grease to remove the double-sided tape from the back of the badge and the tailgate.

3. I drilled out the eyes on the badge by masking off the front of the it with painters tape to avoid chipping the chrome or scratching it and then stepping up my drill bit sizes. After each bit I would check to see if the lights fit in the way I wanted them to. Once this was achieved, I used a dab of Gorilla Glue to secure the led's in place.

4. I used pre-wired 3mm led lights that I purchased from Lighthouse-Leds. I like these because they already have the resistors and heat shrink in place. I used red but the have a ton of different options. Shipping was super fast! (link to site is below)

5. I used some 22ga. wire that I got from radio shack to make some extensions because the pre-wired led's are only about 6-8" long. (Link to this is below) I soldered them together to avoid any connection issues and then taped them up very good. (Note: just for safety's sake, I left myself about two feet of extra wire should I ever decide to splice them into my brake lights or whatever)

6. I then put all the wire in some blue wire loom that I got from Autozone to give everything a clean look. They have different color wire loom available but I wanted it to match the truck. (Link to this site is below.) I fished everything through the tailgate and down to the oval hole on the bottom right side of the tailgate.

7. I spliced into my license plate lights using Quick Splice Connectors that I got from Radio Shack. (Link to this site is below) I used a couple of them with some scrap pieces of wire to practice making the connection. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't squeeze them too tight and cause myself a headache.

8. I thoroughly cleaned the area where the badge was going to be with soap and water. While that dried I applied Maximum Strength Double-Sided 3M Molding Tape to the back side of the badge. I might have gone overboard a bit but I ran the tape in horizontal rows over the entire badge so that there would be no way water could get in behind the badge and cause any problems later on.

8. Once everything was hooked up and working I firmly pressed the badge back into place and held it there for about 30 seconds then I taped the hell out of it all and zip tied it up making sure it wasn't going to be bouncing around under the truck or hanging down.

Hope this helps anyone out there who is wanting to take this on. I think it is definitely worth it. The key is to just take your time and think through the steps.

Lighthouse Led's - http://lighthouseleds.com/3mm-12v-pr...5-000-mcd.html

Radio Shack - 22ga. Wire - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049745

Auto Zone - Wire Loom - AutoZone.com | Page Not Found

Radio Shack - Quick Splice Connectors - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12515225

Auto Zone - 3M Molding Tape - AutoZone.com | Page Not Found

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

treyhumphrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
question

whats the voltage of the 3mm light you used 12 or 6

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's bad ass!

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good!!!

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. I'll be looking into doing this. Thanks for the idea!

By my iPhone.

OP
OP
Ramsfan78

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks. I'll be looking into doing this. Thanks for the idea!

By my iPhone.

I tied into the license plate lights. I was going to tie into the brake lights with variable brightness leds but i really didnt want them blinking. I'd rather have then run constantly at the same brightness level.