Rambox thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't the installation of ramboxes take up more of the bed width than without (just what I always heard)?
They do, but I love the idea of them as they are so handy. But, our bikes need to sit diagonally in the bed. Not enough room with the boxes. Dammit.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
On ‘19 they took off actual push-in locks and made them electric buttons. I like it better because it looks cleaner then on 4th gen trucks

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I spent a lot of time looking for my '18 because I had to have one with Ramboxes. Keep in mind that you also get adjustable cargo rails and the bed divider/extender. I do agree that the 4th gen trucks look a bit better without the Ramboxes, but I'll gladly sacrifice a little bit of the look for the amazing function. The 2019 Ramboxes fit a little tighter with less of a gap, include top-down lighting in the lid, and even have a 110 power outlet built in.

I keep one side for tie downs, nets, jumper cables, a couple moving blankets, ice scraper, umbrella, roll of paper towels etc., and the other side is full of tools in easily removable tool bags. The bed is still perfectly usable and there's around 50" between the sides, so 4x8' sheet goods fit fine.

Best of all is the look on the Ford and Chevy guy's faces when they ask to see them.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I see them as a stupid gimmick, reduces bed space & size, ability for normal sized bed covers or caps is gone, size of you cargo is reduced, & easy to break into or F’up if the crook isn’t successful.

Bluegill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love um. Most guys who criticize them have never had them. Once you consider what you get you’ll find the cost is very reasonable. Go ahead, price out 2 bed storage box (one for each side), a bed extender, an adjustable bed rail system. I think you’ll find it adds up quickly. Only bed space lost is the cubby areas in front of and behind the wheel wells. Pluses are many, negatives are few(limited on overhead rail systems if your a contractor that hauls extension ladders, lumber, 10’ PVC on an everyday basis).
For me? Ram Boxes are a no brainer, best thing Ram ever did.

billiards4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No brainer.... best thing ever! Anyone talking about easy to break into is full of it. Break a window, way easier to get into entire truck. Loss of bed space.... rubbish. You lose so little, of basically useless space anyhow. I've had full sheets of 4x8 in there plenty of times. I've had full sized pallets full of mulch in the back... easy. The pros have already been listed.... tools, tie downs, chains, ice/drinks, small kids, towels, etc. They're undeniably the smartest thing any truck manufacturer has ever done. Yes, 5th gen looks better, but 4th gen is totally acceptable. Only negatives, or things to look out for... the black plastic tops, are crap. Here in the FL sun, the UV kills them. Gotta keep them "oiled up" with your choice of plastic-black chemical stuff. ALSO.... I've recently found, that if the truck came stock with an OEM tonneau, then your tie down rails are black. If it didn't come with the factory tonneau, then they're silver. If they're silver, you have options on 3rd party tonneaus. If you've got the black rails, you're stuck with the Mopar tonneau. I had the black. I chose to ditch the OEM tonneau, and get a BacFlip cover.... so I located the part #'s for the silver rails, and swapped them out. Easy swap, but $300-350 extra that I wasn't anticipating. I spent a long time searching for my '14, specifically HAD to have the RamBox option.

Gaholfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, love the boxes. Just got my '18 Sport a few weeks ago and have used the heck out of them so far. Drove on an overnight trip (before I got the Bacflip cover installed) and was able to fit all of our luggage, duffle bags and backpacks in them. So easy to go to the grocery store walk up and put all your groceries in there snug, without worrying about them shifting all over. Take the boy to baseball practice, gear goes in the boxes....as I sit here thinking about it, I haven't tried the golf bag, but that might be too long. Am already fantasizing about tailgaiting with them full of ice and beer! They're one of my favorite features of the truck.

R1200GS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was curious as to what people thought of the rambox that had one. Also curious as to when will be able to order a 19 with the rambox. Thanks
I've had Ram Boxes on two different Rams. Fell in love with their usability and practicality. My only issue is that there is no bed cover that is water and dust proof when the truck has Ram Boxes.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2011 Laramie used and it has rambox storage.

I didn't think I'd use them much at first but now I don't know what I'd do without them. It's a great place to stash useful items that you don't want cluttering your vehicle....camping chairs, mud shoes, hard hat/vest, stakes, fluids/tools, flashlights, snow removal, towing, etc.

I keep them locked but I'm sure it only keeps the honest people out. I don't keep anything in there that isn't easily replaceable. Love them though.

Same!

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had Ram Boxes on two different Rams. Fell in love with their usability and practicality. My only issue is that there is no bed cover that is water and dust proof when the truck has Ram Boxes.

The Truxedo lo-pro I installed is pretty dern close. I put a piece of weather stripping along the left and right side at the top of the tailgate and barely get a drop of water in the bed when going through car washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Truxedo lo-pro I installed is pretty dern close. I put a piece of weather stripping along the left and right side at the top of the tailgate and barely get a drop of water in the bed when going through car washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the bakflip is water/dust proof essentially also. Access lite rider might be another choice that I've seen recommended for the price.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love it, I missed having a trunk when I went from a car to my first truck.
Wouldn't get another without it.

DaveZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the ram box in my 2011 crew cab. Loved them. There’s plenty of room to store things to get them out of the cab. I’m not a contractor but am pretty handy and do occasionally lug tools around and there isn’t enough room for some tools (in their cases) to put in the ram box though. I never had any leaks or issues with the ram box. Got in a similar accident as you and totaled my 2011....then picked up a 2500 crew with the rambox

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The concept of the ram box is good, I just know my clutzy self, I'd have the sides of my bed all nicked and scratched. For me an in bed after box would be better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gaholfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The concept of the ram box is good, I just know my clutzy self, I'd have the sides of my bed all nicked and scratched. For me an in bed after box would be better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To thine own self be true, lol

chrisb198

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Anyone been able to order a 2019 with the Ramboxs? I heard later availability but curious if any dealers are taking orders with these on them. I'm considering a limited but holding off until the Ramboxes are available.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
had them in an Escalade years ago and missed them real bad, then in my 14' 1500 and would not own a truck without them now. They free up the entire box from rolling junk and boxes containing ratchet tires, cleaning supplies, you name it and the narrower box still carries all that it would between the fenders still. the space ahead and behind of the fender wells is pretty much useless and nothing you put there stays there anyway

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone been able to order a 2019 with the Ramboxs? I heard later availability but curious if any dealers are taking orders with these on them. I'm considering a limited but holding off until the Ramboxes are available.

Probably going to be Q3 along with the eTorque

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've had both.
My 06' didn't have them, my '12 does...moving forward; I'll always have them.
I love the versatility of them.
I can see not getting them if you need every inch of your bed because you do lose the wheel well space in your bed.
Having said that, you can still fit a full sheet of drywall/plywood in them.
I agree it does limit your bed cover choices but there are still options.
How durable are they?
Well I've kept my towing hitch in mine for years with no cracking and that thing is pretty stout, it's a Reese Tri-ball. It is plastic so of course, you could break it if you were trying but for what it is, it's durable enough.
I love that they have drain plugs so you can fill them with ice and drinks or wash them out. Also the little things, like small cans of gas, a soaking wet snow brush, sports equipment, ratchet straps, etc.
All the things you'd like to carry but don't want rolling around in your bed.

Overall I highly recommend them unless you truly need every inch of bed space or you want a topper.