Rambox thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlikNik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, it's the main reason I want a Ram over the competition. Seems so convenient and I can't believe no other manufacturer has thought of this. Gives you great storage without sacrificing bed length like a tool box does. I don't think Ram has put any more details out besides "late availability" so I'd assume that to be July/August and still nothing about the 6'4 bed with a Rambox which is what I really want.

Actually Nissan and Chevy have their versions. Couldn't copy Rams exactly probably because of patents.
Rams look the best IMO, and waiting for later in the year to get a Limited

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
When i went from an 08 to a 12 the one on lot had them, didn’t really want them and i thought they were a bit pricey. Loved them - when i went to a ‘16 i had to have a truck with them!

xerics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I was looking at the 2019 brochure and it says that Rambox is only available on the 5'7 bed, not the 6'4 bed. I recall it was on both bed sizes for the 2017 and 2018 models. I'm wonder why they made that choice? I really want Rambox but really want a 6'4 bed too.

Does anyone have it on a 6'4 bed? Are you happy with it?

demetriew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys dont make me reget not adding one to my build. I strongly considered it but decided not to.

I didnt want to loose a inch of bed space. The bed cover choices were not to appealing. And I could see it now, my wife and kids fingerprints all on the side of my black truck probably along with scratches and dings from all there football gear. Plus another 1000.00 and who knows how long that adds to the building process. Thanks but no thanks. Cons out weigh the pros for me.

That said it was still a hard choice to make. That and not getting e torque.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was looking at the 2019 brochure and it says that Rambox is only available on the 5'7 bed, not the 6'4 bed. I recall it was on both bed sizes for the 2017 and 2018 models. I'm wonder why they made that choice? I really want Rambox but really want a 6'4 bed too.

Does anyone have it on a 6'4 bed? Are you happy with it?
I have an '18 with them on a 6.4 bed. Functionality is awesome, but the fitment is a bit weird on the lids sometimes (common complaint). On the 5th gens, they have allegedly tightened up the gaps around the lids and made them a bit less "flex-y". With all that said, the pros outweigh the cons for me. They're great.

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys dont make me reget not adding one to my build. I strongly considered it but decided not to.

I didnt want to loose a inch of bed space. The bed cover choices were not to appealing. And I could see it now, my wife and kids fingerprints all on the side of my black truck probably along with scratches and dings from all there football gear. Plus another 1000.00 and who knows how long that adds to the building process. Thanks but no thanks. Cons out weigh the pros for me.

That said it was still a hard choice to make. That and not getting e torque.

I decided against them for the same reason. I've never had them though - so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing!

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea same here. Oh well. Whats done is done. I'll be ok with my Tonneau Cover and bed divider/extender

Same here. Just waiting for my RAM to be built and the BedRug to be released!

demetriew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same here. Just waiting for my RAM to be built and the BedRug to be released!

I was looking at a bedrug also. I forgot to get the bed package. So once i get the bedliner done I will probably put a bedrug over it.

When did you place your order and what all did you add to it?

xerics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I have an '18 with them on a 6.4 bed. Functionality is awesome, but the fitment is a bit weird on the lids sometimes (common complaint). On the 5th gens, they have allegedly tightened up the gaps around the lids and made them a bit less "flex-y". With all that said, the pros outweigh the cons for me. They're great.

Maybe that's why they dropped it from the '19 for the 6.4 bed, they couldn't fix the fitment issue you mentioned. I guess I'll keep the ole girl running for now and hope they put it back on the '20 models.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I will second his sentiments here. I have an 18 with ramboxes on the 6.4 bed and the fitment isn’t perfect, and it is a common complaint. That said, I use them constantly so the pros far outweigh the cons for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe that's why they dropped it from the '19 for the 6.4 bed, they couldn't fix the fitment issue you mentioned. I guess I'll keep the ole girl running for now and hope they put it back on the '20 models.

Not sure. IIRC the ramboxes on the 6.4 beds paralleled their introduction on the 2500 series 6.4 beds for the 4th gens. I’m wondering we might see the same thing this time around as well. The 1500’s will start offering the ramboxes on the 6.4 beds when the newly designed 2500 series starts shipping with them. Just a guess though.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They do a bit, yes.

IMO "a bit" is an understatement. My father-in-law traded his old Dakota on a '17 Ram with the Rambox system and the bed space he's got now is no larger than what the Dakota had. He mainly uses the truck for towing not hauling so having a smaller doesn't really bother him, but there is no way I'd give up that much space for some boxes.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
IMO "a bit" is an understatement. My father-in-law traded his old Dakota on a '17 Ram with the Rambox system and the bed space he's got now is no larger than what the Dakota had. He mainly uses the truck for towing not hauling so having a smaller doesn't really bother him, but there is no way I'd give up that much space for some boxes.
It's still 50" between the ramboxes so you only lose the space over and around the wheel wells. If you haul firewood or coal a lot or something that actually uses this space, then ramboxes may not be for you. Otherwise, I find the "lost" space isn't missed, especially because everything that would be loosely rolling around the bed and taking up space is now in the ramboxes.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Basically the decision at hand is if you routinely are going to use the width of the bed above the wheel wells, or on either side of the wheel wells along the length of the bed, then the ramboxes probably aren’t a good fit for your needs.

The space that the ramboxes take up is pretty much equal to the width of the wheel well areas on each side, along the entire length of the bed. Hope this helps! [emoji1]

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I've waffled about the rambox option and I will skip it. I just traveled to Michigan and hauled some stuff and I needed areas that the rambox would have eliminated. That made my mind up. That and I want to use a Bakflip G2 and they just plain look wonky to me with the narrow bed opening.

alwi228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've waffled about the rambox option and I will skip it. I just traveled to Michigan and hauled some stuff and I needed areas that the rambox would have eliminated. That made my mind up. That and I want to use a Bakflip G2 and they just plain look wonky to me with the narrow bed opening.

I thought I absolutely had to wait for the ramboxes, but after I put the order in and realized it probably will be august before I get it....perhaps looking for a Patriot Blue Limited that is on the lots and stick a few totes in the bed will pretty much go unnoticed compared to having them. For anyone who has Ramboxes, do they provide anything that a tonneau cover and some secured totes wouldn't? I love the convenience and idea of them, I worry there is not much more difference other than novelty.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought I absolutely had to wait for the ramboxes, but after I put the order in and realized it probably will be august before I get it....perhaps looking for a Patriot Blue Limited that is on the lots and stick a few totes in the bed will pretty much go unnoticed compared to having them. For anyone who has Ramboxes, do they provide anything that a tonneau cover and some secured totes wouldn't? I love the convenience and idea of them, I worry there is not much more difference other than novelty.
Are you talking about a 2019? It's not a deal maker or breaker but the 2019s have a power outlet inside at least one of the ramboxes.

I don't think they are a novelty. It really depends on how you use a truck. For me, it's well worth having secure dry storage for tools (as well as tie downs, tarps, moving blankets, gloves, towels, etc) everywhere I go. Yes, aftermarket tool boxes do the same thing, but the ramboxes are way way more convenient and easy to reach and get into, and the space they take up in the bed is space I would rarely, if ever, use.

I feel like the ramboxes are like children: they're not for everyone, but almost everyone who has them is glad they do.

sierraangler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I ordered my 19 Limited with Rambox 5' 7" bed in December and was delivered this month. Installed a Truxedo Sentry CT hard rollup bedcover made for beds with Rambox. The cover doesn't interfere with the Rambox and you can open them all the way. Simple to install, mounting into the existing adjustable tie down rails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye