RamBox Utility Rails with BakFlip or Retrax Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrick_O

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Guys, Is there a heavy duty tonneau that I can stand on that will work with the Rambox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
The revolver X2 is a tough cover that can hold a lot of weight on the RamBox Ram, BUT

The fitment was not good on my 2017. Was not water tight even a little bit.

XPLSV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guys, Is there a heavy duty tonneau that I can stand on that will work with the Rambox?

The old RollnLock A5 series advertising campaign featured a guy standing on the cover. The RetraxPro series claims both a 500 pound load and the ability to stand on it; that said, while I think I could gingerly step onto the top of mine and expect it would not buckle underneath my 220 pounds...I would not recommend doing it.

Ram17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The revolver X2 is a tough cover that can hold a lot of weight on the RamBox Ram, BUT

The fitment was not good on my 2017. Was not water tight even a little bit.

I have that cover that I just installed on my 17 1500 with rambox crew cab.
Why was your fitment bad?

For me, though not a difficult install, it was frustrating because the factory rails that you slide the Bak rails onto, are not straight, so you will never get them on without loosening them and letting them "straighten out" so to speak. Then you can slide the Bak's rails on with relative ease and a little lubricating of the factory rails.
If you stand behind the truck and look down the length of the factory rails you can see they are warped looking, the Baks rails will not slide on them at all.
I put some spacers on the the front and rear screws (not the middle ones) of the factory rails to try and keep them straighter when I tightened every thing down.
Of course no where is this in the install manual or any video that you may find so you're basically on your own here.

As far as leaking, not sure about that yet as I haven't driven in any rain, nor washed my truck with the cover on yet.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have that cover that I just installed on my 17 1500 with rambox crew cab.
Why was your fitment bad?

For me, though not a difficult install, it was frustrating because the factory rails that you slide the Bak rails onto, are not straight, so you will never get them on without loosening them and letting them "straighten out" so to speak. Then you can slide the Bak's rails on with relative ease and a little lubricating of the factory rails.
If you stand behind the truck and look down the length of the factory rails you can see they are warped looking, the Baks rails will not slide on them at all.
I put some spacers on the the front and rear screws (not the middle ones) of the factory rails to try and keep them straighter when I tightened every thing down.
Of course no where is this in the install manual or any video that you may find so you're basically on your own here.

As far as leaking, not sure about that yet as I haven't driven in any rain, nor washed my truck with the cover on yet.

Thinking about the cover rails. The flimsy over hangs at the cab and tailgate...
At the cab there was a gap just about big enough for me to get a finger through, not even remotely water tight.
At the tailgate, when it is down, you better be careful not to hit those over hangs. They bend ultra easy.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Where are you guys getting your retrax tonneaus? It appears they are around $1200

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I bought mine through AutoAnything while they were having a sale. Plus free shipping. Maybe around this time of the year, you should be able to get some kind of discount. Or “ask Santa”!!!!

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought mine through AutoAnything while they were having a sale. Plus free shipping. Maybe around this time of the year, you should be able to get some kind of discount. Or “ask Santa”!!!!

“Ask Santa”. lol.

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I know this is an old thread, I purchased Bakflip MX4 for my truck which came with Ramboxes, rails and bed cover. After calling Bakflip they informed me the bed cover and black bed rails are not factory rather a Mopar aftermarket one, which has the upper lip that prevents most hard aftermarket covers to be installed.