Random chime with no engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really curious if this has happened to anyone and if it was figured out. so last weekend during my trip to the hardware store while i was coasting down a hill while using brakes my truck chimed at me (like the check engine chime or lamp out chime,) then about 8 seconds later it chimed at me again... no lights, all gauges are good, trucks performing perfect as always, i tapped the brake pedal a couple times to see if i had a brake light out and that was the chime but no nothing. took a quick look around once i got to the hardware store and saw nothing wrong so just shrugged it off like "huh, well that was weird but whatever." so today on my way to work it chimes at me again this time only once and again not lights on the dash, everything is as it should be and its not my brake pedal.... now that it happened again i am getting just a slight bit worried. any thoughts?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like you're getting the intermittent lamp out chime.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What would cause it to be intermittent you know?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Not sure about the later circuit boards, but mine if you get any kind of loose contact it triggers it. Most times I just flip the bulb around after squeezing the connectors a little closer together. Dielectric grease helps too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the later circuit boards, but mine if you get any kind of loose contact it triggers it. Most times I just flip the bulb around after squeezing the connectors a little closer together. Dielectric grease helps too.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll go through the bulbs and do as mentioned

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did this... Then one time I looked down and it said the bulb out warning like posted above.

It only happened one day (last week), hasn't happened since. I wonder if I have a bulb filament that is on its way out.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did this... Then one time I looked down and it said the bulb out warning like posted above.

It only happened one day (last week), hasn't happened since. I wonder if I have a bulb filament that is on its way out.

mine didnt throw a light either time, i guess thats why i started to worry. but ill bet the above is correct

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
mine didnt throw a light either time, i guess thats why i started to worry. but ill bet the above is correct

I had the same thing happen a few monts back. every few days...ding..and nothing.

FINALLY.... i noticed the "Low wash" on the Odometer....BUT...my washer was full!

So then i read how orange rain-ex actually coats the sensor and jacks up the sensor reading. I begain spraying my windows every day just to run my tank dry, with plans to re-fill with rubbing alcohol to clean the sensor.

In the days to come, a few of these dings did NOT yield the "lo-wash" warning, just a random ding. i assume because the "fault" was so intermittent.

fast forward 2 months. Ran it dry, filled it with 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol, let it sit like that a day or so. Topped it back off with cheapo blue $1 bottles of dollar general wash fluid. no more dings, no more lo-wash message.

only other dings i have got on that truck is the gas cap warning. but those always had the display on the ODO, and every time i did in fact have the cap loose.

there's 2 things to look for. good luck

I have also had a blown headlight, and a blown taillight in the past...and on my truck, those do NOT give me a dinger...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the same thing happen a few monts back. every few days...ding..and nothing.

FINALLY.... i noticed the "Low wash" on the Odometer....BUT...my washer was full!

So then i read how orange rain-ex actually coats the sensor and jacks up the sensor reading. I begain spraying my windows every day just to run my tank dry, with plans to re-fill with rubbing alcohol to clean the sensor.

In the days to come, a few of these dings did NOT yield the "lo-wash" warning, just a random ding. i assume because the "fault" was so intermittent.

fast forward 2 months. Ran i dry, filled it with 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol, let it sit like that a day or so. Topped it back off with cheapo blue $1 bottles of dollar general ash fluid. no more dings, no more lo-wash message.

only other dings i have got on that truck is the gas cap warning. but those always had the display on the ODO, and every time i did in fact have the cap loose.

That's what I've always used pretty much since it came out and I've never had that problem across like 5 different vehicles lol.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I've always used pretty much since it came out and I've never had that problem across like 5 different vehicles lol.

took mine 10 years to finally get "coated" lol I was the same. i ran it in everything...But i googled it...so i'm now an expert on orange washer fluid...and my rubbing alcohol trick did in fact fix it.lol....saved $2 on the sensor...and it only cost me $4 in rubbing alcohol!

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

fast forward 2 months. Ran it dry, filled it with 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol, let it sit like that a day or so. Topped it back off with cheapo blue $1 bottles of dollar general wash fluid. no more dings, no more lo-wash message.

I have also had a blown headlight, and a blown taillight in the past...and on my truck, those do NOT give me a dinger...

i learn something new everyday, i had no clue there was even a chime or light connected to the washer fluid on these 3rd gens.... mines been low for months and ive just left it because i never use it. only reason it got low was because around 5 months ago i did a few long 8+ hour drives to get to the dunes and 2 hair scrambles i entered in, used it a lot on those drives but never thought anything of it.. Thanks for the info! lol. so ill go through all my bulbs and connectors and also fill my washer fluid :happy107:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mine dings when I hit a bad bump. My washer fluid low light is always on, I figured the sensor was bad but autozone wanted $35 for a new one so I said forget it. I'm wondering if I have a loose light somewhere or my hid kit. Haven't taken the time to check every light yet

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine dings when I hit a bad bump. My washer fluid low light is always on, I figured the sensor was bad but autozone wanted $35 for a new one so I said forget it. I'm wondering if I have a loose light somewhere or my hid kit. Haven't taken the time to check every light yet

and i just learned something, because my sensor was $1.97, i just didn't want to pull it out.

Yours on the other hand is completely diff, and $35. they must have changed them with the facelift in 06. fkn chrysler.lol you are a good candidate for the alcohol trick lol

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
and i just learned something, because my sensor was $1.97, i just didn't want to pull it out.

Yours on the other hand is completely diff, and $35. they must have changed them with the facelift in 06. fkn chrysler.lol you are a good candidate for the alcohol trick lol

I'm gonna try that. Maybe they looked at the wrong part, maybe there is a cheaper alternative. Just haven't cared enough to look into it

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm gonna try that. Maybe they looked at the wrong part, maybe there is a cheaper alternative. Just haven't cared enough to look into it

no dude you're completely correct. i even got on rock auto and looked.
05 is $36 07 is $1.97.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did they look similar? Maybe I can use the 07 haha

not really.lol i imagine the pigtail is completely different. You might be able to just twist the wires together though lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45