[Rant Inside, Lots Of Cursing And Capital Letters.] NEVER EVER EVER! NEVER AGAIN!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I've HAD IT! Once is okay, two causes a problem, but NOW IT'S HAPPENING EVERY FRICKING TIME!!

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER KENWOOD PRODUCT! **** THIS ****!!

I DO NOT want to install your Kaywood FAP onto my phone just to use USB, it's USELESS!! I can't scroll through my songs ON THE PHONE and pick what I want, cant select a playlist, can't change shuffle or repeat functions ON THE DEVICE, only through the single din head unit, and IT LAGS MY PHONE EVERY FREAKING TIME I PLUG IT IN AND IT PROMPTS ME TO DOWNLOAD THIS BULLFUCKINGHORSEASS****!!

Oh, and it wouldn't be a problem. IF I COULD TURN IT OFF OR DISABLE USB MODE, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, IT AUTO ******* SWITCHES EVERY TIME I PLUG MY PHONE IN!! WITHOUT FAIL NO MATTER WHAT!! Does it force other phones to install the gaywood fap to work? NOPE, FOR SOME ******* REASON IT'S INCOMPATIBLE WITH DIRECT MODE ON MY PHONE, WHICH, BY THE WAY, IS A TOP OF THE LINE GALAXY S7! PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR PRODUCT MUCH, FUCKWOOD!?

And here's the worst part. The most recent development after 3-4 months of ownership, and me getting around the auto-usb switch upon plug in by doing it before the unit receives power; WELL NOW THE UNIT FREEZES ON A SOURCE AND WON'T LET ME SWITCH AND WON'T OUTPUT SOUND!! If it starts in BT, IT'S STUCK IN BT UNTIL I CAN UNFUCK IT BY POWERING ON AND OFF MY TRUCK, RIPPING THE FACE OFF AND REINSTALLING, AND GOING THROUGH CYCLE AFTER CYCLE OF STANDBY, SOURCE SWITCHING, AND HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON FOR TRUE STANDBY!!

And EVEN THEN it doesn't always work, and I have NOT been able to get it to function properly and go to bluetooth since!!

Is this really that big of a deal? WELL CONSIDERING THERE'S NO ******* SUPPORT, POSTS, FORUM TALKS, SOURCE OF INFORMATION, TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE OR ANY ******* THING ELSE ABOUT THIS WORTHLESS PIECE OF SILICON AND PLASTIC, YES, IT IS THAT BIG OF A ******* DEAL!!

I can't find ANY information about ANY of the problems, issues, or concerns about my "Kenwood BT-518HD" headunit ANYWHERE except for PDF versions of the owners manual. Which aren't any help, as they don't have anything on the no-switch, no sound problem I'm having, and ALSO don't have any way to disable USB or AT LEAST the ******* usb auto switch on plugin crap. I can disable Pandora source, iheartradio source, AND EVEN THE FUCKINGGODFUCKINGDAMNED AUX CABLE SOURCE, BUT I CAN'T DISABLE THE ************* USB SOURCE OR IT'S ******** ASSFUCKING AUTOSWITCH FUNCTION!?!?!?!?!

So, to conclude my rant, due to all of this, **** ******* ******* **** YOU Kenwood. And ANY and ALL of your affiliates.

Signed,

An ANGRY ******* customer who can't even return this ***** ass ******** because it's out of the Best[worst] Buy return period.

{{Anyone is welcome to comment. Admins, I beg you to let this one slide, I need to blow of steam and get answers and this is the only place I frequent that has to do with my truck.}}

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was one of the best posts I’ve read on here in a while. I had to keep reading. I couldn’t stop myself lol

I’ve been out of the game for a while but from what I remember, Kenwood decks always were a little strange with the way they work. I usually stayed away from them. You’re probably not gonna be able to bypass the auto-usb thing. I think they try to use it as a “safety” feature, to try to make you control your phone from the head unit while it’s plugged in, because of all the anti-hand held device nonsense going on. But yes it’s much safer to just do what you’re trying to do from the phone than to **** around with some confusing, ass backward interface on a damn single din head unit.

Sometimes there is a reset button behind the faceplate that you can hold for a few seconds and it will do a factory reset type thing on the radio. If you’ve got this button you can give it a shot. It might fix the locking up issue you’re having with the sources.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
This was one of the best posts I’ve read on here in a while. I had to keep reading. I couldn’t stop myself lol

I’ve been out of the game for a while but from what I remember, Kenwood decks always were a little strange with the way they work. I usually stayed away from them. You’re probably not gonna be able to bypass the auto-usb thing. I think they try to use it as a “safety” feature, to try to make you control your phone from the head unit while it’s plugged in, because of all the anti-hand held device nonsense going on. But yes it’s much safer to just do what you’re trying to do from the phone than to **** around with some confusing, ass backward interface on a damn single din head unit.

Thank you. Now do you know ANYTHING about my problem with the BT issues and inability to change source lockout+no sound happening intermittently with seemingly no fix until it decides to work on it's own {and only with regular radio, mind you, not the bluetooth, which is the only ******* reason [so I could listen to MY music without interruption via commercials] I bought a headunit, other than the volume knob going out on my factory one.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. Now do you know ANYTHING about my problem with the BT issues and inability to change source lockout+no sound happening intermittently with seemingly no fix until it decides to work on it's own {and only with regular radio, mind you, not the bluetooth, which is the only ******* reason [so I could listen to MY music without interruption via commercials] I bought a headunit, other than the volume knob going out on my factory one.
I edited my post above while you were posting this lol. See if you can find that reset button. It’s worth a shot

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I edited my post above while you were posting this lol. See if you can find that reset button. It’s worth a shot

I actually found that and tried it after the first time ripping the face off out of frustration. It actually DIDN'T factory reset it, as I still had all of my station presets, audio setups, volume offset preferences, and EQ etc.

Any tips beside the tip of fuckwood's ****?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually found that and tried it after the first time ripping the face off out of frustration. It actually DIDN'T factory reset it, as I still had all of my station presets, audio setups, volume offset preferences, and EQ etc.

Any tips beside the tip of fuckwood's ****?
Lol unfortunately I don’t know of anything else to try. Usually when electronics start acting flaky like that there’s not much you can do. I’ve been out of the car audio game for a while so I don’t know of any hidden tricks or anything with the newer units.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Lol unfortunately I don’t know of anything else to try. Usually when electronics start acting flaky like that there’s not much you can do. I’ve been out of the car audio game for a while so I don’t know of any hidden tricks or anything with the newer units.

I may have solved it. I believe the last time it started doing this is because I tried to give the headunit a pin number, and I recently tried again to make it more secure. But today, I removed it, resetting it to 000000, and so far it seems to work. Hmmm......

Will update if it tries to **** me again.

Buy a JVC. Problem solved

JVC is Kenwood. Kenwood is JVC. The joint company is literally called "JVC Kenwood"

I plan on having my next single din/basic head unit be a Sony. Or literally anything else besides a JVC Kenwood.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I put JVC in all the cars I do. They work great and are really simple

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Well, on the bright side....CES (Consumer Electronics Show) is Jan 6-13th...and Kenwood will have all new radios out. :D
I have friends that work there. It's an Asian radio...like JVC...you wont get a ton of help or source, other than dealers for them. You could call, write, etc...but all they care is about NUMBERS.
I'm in the 12v world, and it amazed me the lack of profit, and or cost in a radio nowadays...I mean NO money.
But why I love streaming to my radios if I can.

But for yours...I found a large box for yours.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
here ya go...

upload_2017-12-28_17-42-39.png

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy a JVC. Problem solved
Noooooooo! Don’t do this lol

Just my opinion, don’t like jvc radios because I’ve always been a sound quality guy and jvc stuff is about as basic as you can get as far as eq settings, preamp outputs, and overall sound quality. I mean they work but they’re more of a “set it and forget it”, low-end type thing.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Noooooooo! Don’t do this lol

Just my opinion, don’t like jvc radios because I’ve always been a sound quality guy and jvc stuff is about as basic as you can get as far as eq settings, preamp outputs, and overall sound quality. I mean they work but they’re more of a “set it and forget it”, low-end type thing.
What about Sony? What other good brands are there?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Depends on how advanced you wanna go. For a truck that’s got a muffler delete (that i know the op has), there’s only so much that sound quality is gonna matter. These trucks are loud, lots of wind noise and not the greatest setup for speaker placement. Full blown sound system, yeah get something better. But I’ve had my JVC for over 6 years now and it works great for hooking up my iPhone and playing flawlessly. I saw a newer JVC headunit my buddy put in his ram and asked me to adjust the eq settings. It had so many adjustables I couldn’t really help him much

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about Sony? What other good brands are there?

Sent from my magic 5-inch
Everybody has their own preferences, but personally for single dins I like pioneer and alpine. I have a Pioneer single din in my Honda that’s 13 years old. Still works and looks like new. In fact it’s still such a nice radio that when my volume knob wore out a couple months ago, I paid 40 bucks (yes 40 dollars) for a new knob direct from pioneer. I don’t even want to replace the thing. I’ll keep it until the day it dies.

As far as Sony, I’ve never used any of their car audio stuff. I know their speakers sound like crap though.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always ran JVC head units and pioneer speakers. Sound quality is always good and never had a problem.
My daughter's jeep came with a pioneer HU and it sucked. Nothing but problems. It got swapped to a jvc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always ran JVC head units and pioneer speakers. Sound quality is always good and never had a problem.
My daughter's jeep came with a pioneer HU and it sucked. Nothing but problems. It got swapped to a jvc.

Everyone has had good and bad experiences with everything. One guy might have had a good experience with pioneer, while another guy had a bad one. Same with every other brand of anything ever made lol. Jvc radios work. But when I was doing installs, doing a couple hundred head units a year, the pioneer and alpine head units just had less issues and better sound quality and more connections for amps etc. It depends on what you’re looking for. What’s good for one person may not be good for another one. JVCs are not bad radios at all they’re just generally a lower cost option.

Also, sound quality is kind of relative to the listener. An audiophile’s definition of good sound quality is going to differ from the average joe who just wants something better than stock.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone has had good and bad experiences with everything. One guy might have had a good experience with pioneer, while another guy had a bad one. Same with every other brand of anything ever made lol. Jvc radios work. But when I was doing installs, doing a couple hundred head units a year, the pioneer and alpine head units just had less issues and better sound quality and more connections for amps etc. It depends on what you’re looking for. What’s good for one person may not be good for another one. JVCs are not bad radios at all they’re just generally a lower cost option.

Also, sound quality is kind of relative to the listener. An audiophile’s definition of good sound quality is going to differ from the average joe who just wants something better than stock.
Very true

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
PLEASE SAY **** AGAIN ! :Big Laugh: