[Rant Inside, Lots Of Cursing And Capital Letters.] NEVER EVER EVER! NEVER AGAIN!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In my O6 I ran a pioneer double din with nav and was really happy with it. At the time the alpine was too much money with the nav or I would have gone that way. I replaced the factory trim bezel with one from the same year that had nav and got a double din dash kit for it and the install was really clean looking. Also unrelated I ran a memphis M class 5 channel. It was as long as the 60 side of the seat, but narrow enough to fit on the floor between the back of the cab and the the screw down plate tucked under the back of the load floor, which was still left installed and fully use able. I ended up going with it for the perfect fit, but it was a beast for power and ran my Fokal front and rear and 13" sub in the 40 side really well until I blew the sub from overpowering it and switched it for a different sub that worked better given the amount of power I was running, but I can't remember what it was.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
In my O6 I ran a pioneer double din with nav and was really happy with it. At the time the alpine was too much money with the nav or I would have gone that way. I replaced the factory trim bezel with one from the same year that had nav and got a double din dash kit for it and the install was really clean looking. Also unrelated I ran a memphis M class 5 channel. It was as long as the 60 side of the seat, but narrow enough to fit on the floor between the back of the cab and the the screw down plate tucked under the back of the load floor, which was still left installed and fully use able. I ended up going with it for the perfect fit, but it was a beast for power and ran my Fokal front and rear and 13" sub in the 40 side really well until I blew the sub from overpowering it and switched it for a different sub that worked better given the amount of power I was running, but I can't remember what it was.

Nice. I've recently pondered the idea of sticking with stock sized speakers all round, adding 3.5's to the dash, running those as 'fronts' with the rears as 'rears' and the front 6x9's as 'subs' on my headunit outs. All amped to their limits with the HPF and LPF handled through the headunit. Seems like with maximal sound deadening, it'd be a REALLY good low profile, simple, no space taken setup.

And then I learned that this is almost EXACTLY how the damn infinity system works! :roflsquared:

But it really does seem to be an idea that has merit. If I could, it'd be 6.5's rear, 4's in the dash, and 7x10's in the doors as 'subs'. All coax except the 'subs' which would be gotten as components and had the tweets spliced with the fronts and probably put in the pillars from a plain drilled hole.

But anyway. This is about my rant and headunits in general. Really, aside from the small issues that have loopholes, and this thing that I believe I found the source of and easily fixed, {and not having a 'mute' button} this Kenwood is actually pretty cool. It has preset EQ's, 13 band custom EQ, bass boost, loudness, realizer, other effects, x-over, the ability to tell it what size speakers are being run, what type of vehicle it's in, time alignment. It's actually, in my novice opinion, a good single din.

If it didn't have the little loop-hole-able problems, greater USB compatibility for a wider range of phones, and a mute button, I'd venture to say it might be the best single din. Now, lemme look in the manual and see if I can just plug in a USB flash drive for music, hmmmm.....

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
kenwood ddx573bh double din, hands down thee best HU out there even remotely close to price range for a android and specificsally a S7 (or mine is a S7 edge.) does anything and everything super fast and hands free, had it for maybe 2 yearsish?? anyway, it connects faster crisper and WAY more compatibility then lexus system, pioneer, toyota system, PORSCHE system and bose are all ive used with my S7 and no comparison. Not to mention it reads every engine code, tire pressure if you have the sensors, tells you if a door is cracked, clears codes.... it does everything basically

EDIT: i guess i should mention though, i also have been out of the audio game for a very long time. But i had LOTS of connection issues to multiple friends and families units and had issues with my phone in my 2015 lexus IS-F, i did extensive research before i bought the DDX specifically about android compatibility and everything bluetooth, even argued with a crutchfield guy trying to recommend a pioneer unit that had HORRID reviews for people with androids. ANYWAY, this unit is 100% flawless with my S7 edge is all im saying

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not trying to talk you into kenwood LOL

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
kenwood ddx573bh double din, hands down thee best HU out there even remotely close to price range for a android and specificsally a S7 (or mine is a S7 edge.) does anything and everything super fast and hands free, had it for maybe 2 yearsish?? anyway, it connects faster crisper and WAY more compatibility then lexus system, pioneer, toyota system, PORSCHE system and bose are all ive used with my S7 and no comparison. Not to mention it reads every engine code, tire pressure if you have the sensors, tells you if a door is cracked, clears codes.... it does everything basically

I'll think about it for my single cab. What do you think of my idea to run stock sized speakers all round with 3.5's in the dash and the front door 6x9's as subs, everything amped, and handle all the EQ and x-over through the headunit plus perfect sound deadening?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For me I wish the X009 alpine system fit in my truck. I despise the new 8.4 uconnect anyways so I doubt I'd like it less and I could upgrade the audio as much as I'd like with top end sound quality via optical audio outputs.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

EDIT: i guess i should mention though, i also have been out of the audio game for a very long time. But i had LOTS of connection issues to multiple friends and families units and had issues with my phone in my 2015 lexus IS-F, i did extensive research before i bought the DDX specifically about android compatibility and everything bluetooth, even argued with a crutchfield guy trying to recommend a pioneer unit that had HORRID reviews for people with androids. ANYWAY, this unit is 100% flawless with my S7 edge is all im saying
The newer pioneer nex series radios can do that stuff too, as far as the reading/clearing codes, showing tire pressure and other diagnostic information. But no matter what brand the radio is, this functionality is more dependent on the vehicle it’s going into than the radio. The vehicle has to have a data bus that goes to the radio in order for this information to be accessible there, and also has to have that info available on that data bus. So even though most new pioneer and Kenwood units have the ability to do it, it completely depends on the vehicle it’s going into.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
It started doing it again. I honestly don't know what it is. I'm gonna try to find the receipt and installation receipt and the box and maybe replace it.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
the few kenwoods I have ive likes. pioneers same way. I have a sony in my bronco its pretty cheap built. had jvcs before kenwood bought them and they where junk. idk since then.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Well, I have a free troubleshoot setup for this Saturday at 5pm. We'll see what comes of that.