Rattle noise at the drivers rear of the cab driving me nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully somebody can help me here. I am have a noise that is coming from the pass rear door area on my '14 QC. It's more prevalent when cold out and makes a tap noise whenever I run over a minor bump in the road. With winter approaching, its driving me nuts every morning. Best explanation of how it sounds is a bolt or nut loose in the door or a heavy cable hitting the body, it sounds like a solid tap.

I've had my kid listen in back while I was driving and he seems to think its near the hinge side of the rear door or in the B pillar. In an effort to find it, I removed the B and C pillar trim to hunt for loose stuff, I pulled the drivers rear door panel off and the speaker too to feel around inside. I've looked under the truck and tried restraining the e-brake cables, brake and vacuum lines and I cant find this elusive demon.

Its not the rear seatbelt buckle hitting the c pillar. I do have Mopar side steps but the noise happened prior to the install.

Anybody have any suggestions?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its the two 3/4" nuts I put in there rattling around.

OP
OP
C

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish it were that easy.....

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a similar noise on the driver side front wheel well area.
After a lot of search it turned out that it was a loose bolt who hold the cab to the frame.
Chris

OP
OP
C

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar noise on the driver side front wheel well area.
After a lot of search it turned out that it was a loose bolt who hold the cab to the frame.
Chris

Really? One of the main cab mount bolts? Could be, especially if the rubber bushing shrinks in cold temps..... Easy to try out.

Come to think of it I completely lost a cab mount bolt on a 2nd gen 2500 back in the day.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I chased a rattle down that I was convinced was coming from the rear drivers side door/headliner. Had someone sitting back there and it turns out the clip to hold my trifold cover when folded up was rattling around. It didn't sound anythign like I would have expected that to sound like so something to consider.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a rattle/rolling noise for about 3 months. It would only happen when making a certain type of turn. long story short the noise happened and it sounded like a golf ball rolling on a metal rail. Turns out underneath my rear seat against the cab wall there was a golf ball that was never taken out during the trade in process from the previous owner....made me laugh because i did not expect it to be exactly what i sounded like.

I was really nervous there was a major issue i could not trouble shoot.

JayRoverDozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
CJK440,
I have a very similar noise in the same general area of the cab. Have you figured out where and what it is? I'm losing my ever loving mind and my wife thinks I'm being ridiculous! Help!

JayRoverDozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can anyone provide me with a solid solution to my rear seat rattle? I'm about to launch this thing into the Atlantic Ocean.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unfortunately the rattle from driver side wheel area is back and i still could not figure out what it is as i could not find a loose cab bolt.
Mostly in the morning a ding ding like a bolt without rubber bushing hitting the hole when there is one of the frequents pothole.
One thing ratteling was the number plate hitting the bumper, i taped the hood rubber plugs to see if there is a rattle, i searched and searched,
still on avaey speed bump or hole this damned "DING".
Dealership is 100 miles away and i need to wait there for hours, i just wanna know what it is to be able to fix it by my self.
Chris

JayRoverDozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I feel your pain. I'm close to ordering a pallet of Flex Seal and drowning my truck in it, to fix all rattles and dings.

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have someone else drive the truck wile YOU listen, and even use a paper towel empty roll as a stethoscope.

OP
OP
C

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its been a while but after multiple attempts to find it I was successful. Believe it or not, it was the weatherstrip running around the rear door. Since the tap sounded like a small plastic hammer tapping on sheetmetal, I never would have thought rubber would do it. But feeling around the headliner area while driving down rough roads zero'ed me in on it. It does explain why its more prevalent in the cold mornings and goes away when the interior is all warmed up.

Although overkill, to fix it I wrapped the door opening pinch weld up top with a strip of black duct tape, then crushed the weather strip channel with pliers, jaws wrapped in tape. I forced it back on using a rubber mallet to seat it good and this AM, its all gone....

Now I am just hoping that I did not create more rattles and squeaks with all the disassembly and reassembly I did. LOL

OP
OP
C

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found the problem. It was the freaking weatherstrip around the rear pass door at the top. The straight area in the middle didn't grip the pinchweld like its supposed to for some reason. When it was cold, over bumps it would come up and hit the pinch weld.

After all the attempts and multiple disassemblies I can't believe it was so easy. All I did was wrap plier jaws with tape, and with the weatherstrip pulled down, squeezed it tighter and installed it back with a rubber mallet.