RDS Auxiliary Fuel tank/Tool box

Discussion in '6.7 Common Rail' started by Arctic-Rodz, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mallardsx2

Mallardsx2 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    Is there a size a little wider do you don't have so much space between the bed sides and the box?

2. Jackfate

Jackfate Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 1500
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    May I ask the total cost of this project?

3. Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 2500
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    you might find another one that will tuck up closer to the sides but I find those sides pretty handy. I keep a spare gallon of windshield washer fluid in there. On the driver's side is where the feed tube goes down to the filler neck so you do need that space.

I paid about $1000 for everything. Including the installation and bedliner on the tank/tool box. Buddy works for at the installation place so they hooked me up pretty good!

4. Arctic-Rodz

Ram Year:
    2014 2500
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    It would take A LOT of vapor to fill that area. I typically open the tonneau cover several times per trip for luggage and stuff. I was concerned with my luggage smelling like diesel but I haven't experienced it on any of my trips. @ 100+ degree weather either. So its been good.

I only have a valve with an electric butterfly which allows fuel to drip down to the main tank. It also has a secondary hand valve which closes the fuel supply if you need to service that electric valve.

I haven't used my top tank to fill up my tractors. Since i use regular fuel to fill my truck. I just carry a couple of spare plastic 30gallon tubs when i need to haul fuel for my tractors (red dyed) and use a Northern Tools purchased transfer pump which powers itself from the tractor battery. Pretty handy.
    So my tank is only used to fill my truck.

5. drittal

drittal Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    You could, but this tank is bigger than your fuel tank so you will either have to stop and wait for main to to be filled by gravity feed, or pull over again to shut it off before you overfill the tank. A friend of the family does it this way but has a 28g tank. He gets down to 1/4, stops and opens the valve and drives off.

Run the vent line outside the bed

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

6. drittal

drittal Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    [​IMG]

My father in law's RDS tank. He mounted a 20gpm pump inside the tool box area with a hose and dispenser. He leaves the switch at the pump on and runs a relay with a toggle switch inside the cab to turn it on and off. 51 gallons.

[​IMG]

My father's set up. This one is plumbed into the filler neck with a small diesel fuel pump with an in line filter with a switch in the dash. 58 gallons.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. dewey405

dewey405 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar V-6
    I know I am digging up an old thread but how does this one fit? The measurements on NT website show it being 1" too wide to fit between the wheel wells.

8. Arctic-Rodz

Ram Year:
    2014 2500
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    my tank fits perfectly. It doesn't touch the wheel wells, it sits right behind them.