Ready to spend some $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So because all my hunting seasons ended a month ago my pockets have got a little heavier and I have much more free time. So I want to spend it on my 01 360

Bought the truck stock about 6 months ago. Now it has..
Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler (same as flowmaster 10)
33" MT
16x8 Redirt road thunder rims(black with little chrome)
Complete tune up(not really a mod I know :))
Spec-D black head lights
Spec-D gloss black grille (black vertical bars)

I would love for the truck to breathe a little easier(and gain a little hp/torque).

New headers?(What about high heat under hood)
3" exhaust pipe all the way through?(I have 2.5" now)
CAI?
Then a tuner?
Or save up and re-gear both axles?(about how much $$$?)

Also looking for a different front bumper because im not exsctly fond of the large one that was out on your trucks and how they can sag..

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You'll prob lose some low end power with full 3" pipe, if stick with 2.5 and do the headers. CAI won't do much for you on these trucks, maybe slight throttle response, be better off doing the black mamba diy. Tuner, SCT is the best, but if you're not looking for too much a superchips isn't bad either. Regearing will do the most for you, since you have 33" tires if you go with 4.10 gears it will correct your speedo and put you back at the stock ratio but if you want a little more getup 4.56 will give ya that but you'll lose some top speed (not a big deal and totally worth it in my op)

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I remember reading somewhere, though don't remember where, the Superchips tuner will piggyback on the "death flash," which pretty much every second gen Ram has. This means the death flash remains even with the tune, so the effects of the tune will be watered down because of it.

In case you're wondering, the "death flash" ******* the ignition timing across the RPM range, so starting at the mid-range, the combustion event occurs too late resulting in a loss of power because the flame front has to "chase" the piston for a few very brief moments rather than hitting the piston immediately after top dead center like should happen. This is even worse at high RPMs.

The SCT tuner truly removes the death flash, so the engine is truly making as much power as it can. As long as the death flash remains in the ECU, any modifications you make will not give as much power as they can.

I'm pretty drunk right now, so I might not be entirely correct on what I've said, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I am under the overall impression that reflashing the ECU is one of the best starts to increasing power on the Magnum engines.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
You'll prob lose some low end power with full 3" pipe, if stick with 2.5 and do the headers. CAI won't do much for you on these trucks, maybe slight throttle response, be better off doing the black mamba diy. Tuner, SCT is the best, but if you're not looking for too much a superchips isn't bad either. Regearing will do the most for you, since you have 33" tires if you go with 4.10 gears it will correct your speedo and put you back at the stock ratio but if you want a little more getup 4.56 will give ya that but you'll lose some top speed (not a big deal and totally worth it in my op)

But to have a shop do the work I am looking at about $1000 an axle correct?(I don't have the knowledge to swap gears and don't want to do it front and have major issues). So 2 axels which is $2000 is way out of the price range

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9

So which headers would you recomend? I've herd shorties will add under hood heat

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
A good set of stainless headers is your best bet there. Shorties are better for your low end and longtubes for your high end. Shorties are easier to install do to being more modular in size and longtubes have been known to have clearance issues.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Shorty headers, HS 1.7RRs, SCT tuner, 50mm TB, Mopar M1 intake, 3in exhaust from cat back would be nice.

Couple that with some 4.56s and it'll scoot.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
best thing for you to spend your money on is new gears

i have done everything you want to do (minus headers)

by far the best thing is the 4.56 gears i went with. For the money it will make the most difference!

do gears first, then a really good tune up.....i think you will be surprised on what your truck will do with those 2 items

Trust me on this....GEARS!!

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^x2 gears are your best bang for your buck mod. They aren't cheap but are totally worth it!! After adding 100+ hp engine wise the gears still felt like they woke my truck up more than the extra HP ever did.

I was lucky enough to have a mechanic friend of mine install mine for a case of beer so I can't help you out to much on the price end of things.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
But to have a shop do the work I am looking at about $1000 an axle correct?(I don't have the knowledge to swap gears and don't want to do it front and have major issues). So 2 axels which is $2000 is way out of the price range

He does not want to spend that much cash guy's.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Next best mood would be sct tuner with tunes from hemifever. He can get rid the death flash and torque management

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
He does not want to spend that much cash guy's.

Im willing to save up if gears are the smartest cost/power gain.. but how much am I looking at for both axles because it's a 4x4?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
gears will be $250 per set
minor install kit approx $150 per kit
labour will be $600-$800 per diff, this depends on the shop.
Shop supplies will be around $100-$200

As you have an 01 speedo will be a pita to recalibrate, don't think SCT does that but I think Superchips does. So tack on another $500

This is not a cheap endeavor.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on the shop and where your located I've seen quite a few people online having both front and rear diffs done for between $1500-$2000 tops. I'd try and find a shop in your area that will do the install and get a quote from them and go from there.

gears will be $250 per set
minor install kit approx $150 per kit
labour will be $600-$800 per diff, this depends on the shop.
Shop supplies will be around $100-$200

As you have an 01 speedo will be a pita to recalibrate, don't think SCT does that but I think Superchips does. So tack on another $500

This is not a cheap endeavor.

The speedo is not affected at all by gear changes on the 98+ trucks. They use a sensor mounted on the diff to read a toothed ring on the carrier. This ring does not change when you swap the gears so it still reads the axle rotations the same as it did before the swap.

I went from 3.55s to 4.10s and the speedo still reads the exact same without changing anything else.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Depending on the shop and where your located I've seen quite a few people online having both front and rear diffs done for between $1500-$2000 tops. I'd try and find a shop in your area that will do the install and get a quote from them and go from there.

The speedo is not affected at all by gear changes on the 98+ trucks. They use a sensor mounted on the diff to read a toothed ring on the carrier. This ring does not change when you swap the gears so it still reads the axle rotations the same as it did before the swap.

I went from 3.55s to 4.10s and the speedo still reads the exact same without changing anything else.

Learn something new every day lol