Rear brake rebuild almost done, now this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You bought new drums right? Go get the new drums turned.

Really? Turn new drums? You reckon they're outta round or turn em to remove some material. The manager at O'Reilly said they'd turn my old ones for free. How much should I have em take off?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah...might try that. Where do you have that done? A shop?

Yeah, turn them to take out some metal and yes any old school mom n pop repair shop should be able to do it. I’d call around to see if they can do the shoes but most places turn drums.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If your feelin frogy, you can do the shoes by hand with a sander or grinder, it won’t need much taken off at all, at the very most an 1/16” but doing it that way is hard to keep it even.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your feelin frogy, you can do the shoes by hand with a sander or grinder, it won’t need much taken off at all, at the very most an 1/16” but doing it that way is hard to keep it even.

Oooh weee I'm not that froggy. I don't trust myself with that. I'll just end up having to buy new ones.

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
The first set of rear brake shoes I got for my 1500 didn't fit. Had to get another set from a different brand. They looked exactly the same but were arched slightly wrong, made for an absolutely horrible pulsation when braking and would self apply continously as soon as I tapped on the pedal until the truck stopped. Just saying. If the brakes were fine before and now they don't fit together, one of your new parts is wrong. Take the shoes off and sit them in the drum. The arc should perfectly fit the drum. If they don't, they're wrong.

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
PS reshaping brake shoes definitely used to be a thing (well before I worked on cars, but still) I don't think many do it anymore since they're is such a concern about the health hazards of brake dust and it *usually* isn't necessary.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I could see the reason for concern when pads and shoes were made from asbestos but they stopped making them a long long time ago. A lot of places won’t do it anymore cause there’s just too many cheap throw away parts these days. Don’t really see shops turning an grinding anymore cause rotors and pad/shoes are cheap to buy new. Those shops are still out there but few and far between.

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I could see the reason for concern when pads and shoes were made from asbestos but they stopped making them a long long time ago. A lot of places won’t do it anymore cause there’s just too many cheap throw away parts these days. Don’t really see shops turning an grinding anymore cause rotors and pad/shoes are cheap to buy new. Those shops are still out there but few and far between.

Most all parts stores do it.
I do agree with ouch1011 on a mid shaped set of shoes. I wouldn’t have new drums turned but maybe checked for being out of round. I’m thinking possibly the shoes are not in the correct curvature to work with the new drums. I hardly ever buy drums unless there’s not enough material left on the old ones.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright well I guess I'll go get some different shoes and see if they fit. I'll also turn the old drums, instead of using the new ones, and see if some combination of these parts will work. Thanks guys

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Alright well I guess I'll go get some different shoes and see if they fit. I'll also turn the old drums, instead of using the new ones, and see if some combination of these parts will work. Thanks guys

Bring shoes with you to match them up. You probably knew that though. Gl.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I hardly ever buy drums unless there’s not enough material left on the old ones.

That’s back when they made them with thicker steel, most of the new rotors/drums can’t be turned from factory, they are to thin. But it’s been some years since I had to mess with drum brakes so maybe they make them the same quality as they used to, not, lol. It sucks though cause it’s so much cheaper to turn them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Somewhat related - I recently bought rear pads for my 2011 G37. Even went as far as getting OEM ones from a friend that works at Nissan.

Finally had the time to install them, and wouldnt you know...they dont fit. They had 2 locating "nubs" on them that the stock pads didnt. Those nubs prevented the installation of the existing shims and heat shields.

I went and got a set of aftermarket pads. And wouldn't you know? Same damn nubs.

Moral of the story: somewhere along the line stuff can change. In my case Nissan must have changed the shims and heat shields, but the new ones are a special order part in a $50.00 hardware kit. My solution? Grind down the nubs, spot paint over the exposed metal, install pads.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If the parts are correct then there is some other reason the drums will not go on. Perhaps the adjuster is not seated in the slot where it goes. Perhaps the bar with the anti-rattle spring is not in the spot where is goes.
0900c152%2F80%2F07%2F1a%2Fd3%2Flarge%2F0900c15280071ad3.gif

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright! figured it out. The shoes were apparently defective. Switched them out with a different set at the parts store and everything worked great. What a cluster. Thanks everyone for your help. I guess next time I'll be suspicious of everything, even new parts.

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MrR0gers,

+1 Glad you got this fixed and your truck back on the road. I have gotten several "NEW" parts from the parts store lately that were questionable, or had been opened with pieces missing. Its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.