Rear defrost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRussTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I know, I saw another thread that spoke about this, but did not want to revive a 3-5 month old thread.

Just had the chance to use my "Rear defrost" today on the way to work and.......no rear defrost.

Service department tells me that a sliding window cannot have a rear defrost.

I did not argue since, clearly.... they can, this one just did not HAVE one.

So, what alternatives does one have to adding one?...not sure it is worth it since I plan to add a cap soon, but, not sure how well the wind can clear a rear window after a cap is on.

On top of that, just accidentally figured out where the stupid steering column radio controls are at.

Simply amazes me how little they walk you through after buying a vehicle.

And, so sorry for all my posts being so negative. I am working on being positive about the truck, because it really is a nice truck... just.. wow.. each time I drive it some other stupid thing comes up.

R

cuttymcgavin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2015 2500 came with the rear sliding window and the rear defrost!? Its funny how little those darn techs know about the vehicles they work on!! LOL!!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2014 has the power slider and defrost. In all my years living in Colorado I have never needed a rear window defroster on my pickups. We get cold here with lots of ice and I think the straight rear window doesn't build up like a slanted windshield.

OP
OP
JRussTX

JRussTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yea, I emailed the sales person this morning to let me know when they have the check cut they owe me and I'll swing by and give him the key to the other truck that he left in my truck......no reply.. heh. Maybe I should just mail it to Chrysler saying "here ya go!" lol

OP
OP
JRussTX

JRussTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Holy cow, I just ripped into the salesguy.

I left a message for the Sales Manager. I was told he was in a meeting. Less than 3 minutes later, I get a call from the Sales Guy. I was like, "'Y', are you 'X'? Did I call you? Did I leave a message for you? No, I left a message for 'X'. YOU are the one that keeps ignoring my emails, you are the one I emailed 2 times and you did not respond till I emailed 'X', just like now. "

I blew a damn gasket and I have been calm and "how can we build this relationship with trust now" etc all the time but this time, I told them..."I could have emailed Ried Bigland or Louann Gosslein, but I keep trying to work through this not so I can get 'stuff' but so I can get in my truck and not be surprised every single time I get in...."

blah blah.. yea, I let it ALL out...

My guess is they are rolling their eyes and figuring out how to drop me like a hot potato right now.

All this is stupid crap.. small stuff that would NOT have affected my decision to buy, but.. like I told them, I have less than 600 miles on my truck. They added 150...if my KID adds 150 to my vehicle, I expect to know why... I do not ask them to pay for it, but I expect to be TOLD about it...

I expect to not almost run someone off the road trying to turn on the rear defroster only to learn I do not have rear defrosters when I call into the service department and to be told it is not possible.....and THAT is where I have to take my truck for warranty work? Not in my lifetime.

ok.. sorry.. calming down... heh

Just.. wow...

I know this can't be the "norm".... not sure how a company can stay in business like this.

My next thread, or reply outside of this thread will be positive....that is something I am setting as a goal.. heh

R

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it LOOKS like I have defrost on my 2015 1500 sport with power slider, but when I click the button it flashes a few times and turns off. Looking at the screen, it's ''grayed out" and not selectable.
IMG_20180417_175205.jpg IMG_20180417_175318.jpg

blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
just went and checked my truck. I bought it used with about 8,000, 2017....window sticker and control panel says rear defrost, can't find it on mine, guessing don't have it.
As far as rear sliding window, my Chevy Colorado had a slider with the heat cables built in, so it can be done

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think the button for defrost on top changes the air direction to defrost without having to go through the touch screen and also turns on the rear defrost if equipped and the one below is for the mirrors. I also believe they turn off automatically at a certain temperature. I'm not clear on it yet. I just hit all the buttons and everything defrosts. My rear slider has a grid in it to defrost.

OP
OP
JRussTX

JRussTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well, the salesman came over last night and delivered the check for the truck cap. I am not sure if the rear frost will be needed as I will have a cap on the back in a month but the point I made to him, over and over, is the fact that every time I drove the truck, there was a new "surprise!" and not a good one. BUT... the deal is done, so now we move on to phase 2, getting the cap ordered and installed.

Now, I still think it may fog up but since I will not be using it so much due to the cap, it will not be worth worrying about.

Thanks guys. WORLD of information on this forum, so I am sure I can check here if I have an issue in the future.

For now, I think I will thank my lucky stars the issues were small, yet annoying, and that I got a good enough deal I can always find a way out if I have to :p

Russ

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Rear window defrost on a truck isn't needed, especially if there is a cap on the back. If you need to use your back window/rearview mirror for anything other than seeing the cargo in the bed of the truck, your a danger on the road. Learn how to use your sideview mirrors properly. Sideview mirror defrosters are almost a must.

OP
OP
JRussTX

JRussTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well, like I said, don't need it, just was unaware a truck with every bell and whistle known to man did not have it, but had a button that the owner's manual said was for it.

So...

Nothing to see here....

R

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On top of that, just accidentally figured out where the stupid steering column radio controls are at.

R

Ha! Similar thing happened to me. I checked for those controls, expecting them to be there, and they were. Then a couple weeks later, I went to adjust the volume, and the radio source changed. I was like WTF? Feeling around those buttons, I discovered the little round button between the top/bottom buttons.

BTW. Your profile pic looks like mine. At first I thought you borrowed it. lol

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the question remains.....can you add the rear defrost slider?
Is the wiring already there since you have heated mirrors and the dash switch?
Would there be any dealer programming needed or can any glass shop do the swap?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would bet the wiring is there but you would have to replace the whole back window which wouldn't be cheap.

I have never needed a rear window defrost on a truck and we see some pretty ****** weather here. Crack one of the windows and turn the heat up and it will stay clear.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would bet the wiring is there but you would have to replace the whole back window which wouldn't be cheap.

I have never needed a rear window defrost on a truck and we see some pretty ****** weather here. Crack one of the windows and turn the heat up and it will stay clear.

Well I’m in Houston and it gets ****** so windows will fog up bad here.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the button for defrost on top changes the air direction to defrost without having to go through the touch screen and also turns on the rear defrost if equipped and the one below is for the mirrors. I also believe they turn off automatically at a certain temperature. I'm not clear on it yet. I just hit all the buttons and everything defrosts. My rear slider has a grid in it to defrost.
Well wtf... Why doesn't mine work. I Don't use it, but now that I know I don't have it/it won't work, I WANT IT!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well wtf... Why doesn't mine work. I Don't use it, but now that I know I don't have it/it won't work, I WANT IT!
I see the picture of your rear window and it has the defrost grid on it. The ones without do not so unless someone replaced the window with the wrong glass you have it. My old truck didn't have it and honestly I never thought I needed it.

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my understanding, rear window defrost is an option for RAM.