Rear Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok so this weird and something I just recently noticed. Went to use the rear defroster on my ‘17 Laramie, hit the switch which lit up, and nothing happened. Looked at it and realized there’s no defroster grid lines in the glass! It has the sliding electric rear window, is this not an option with the slider? It’s odd because the button lights up. I saw a pic of one on RAMs site with defroster grids.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I have the same thing (no rear defroster filaments), but I believe that button also controls the heated mirrors..

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same with my truck, slider without defrost but with heated mirrors. The rear defrost glass is an option, unfortunately whoever ordered mine didn’t select that option.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine has the grid on it with the power slider. A couple friends of mine have rams and tell me they have rear window defrost, but they don't have grids. I can't find any vents back there so I think they're mistaken. One defrost button for mirrors and back window and the other to switch the climate control to defrost without going into the climate control menu.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like some you actually mistaking the emblem on the dial that sets what vents the HVAC ( that lights when you push it) as being a rear window defroster when it is actually for the right and left rear view mirrors. Unless your window sticker or if you don't have that check by vin number for your build sheet you don't have a rear window defroster.

OP
OP
Razzman

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It sounds like some you actually mistaking the emblem on the dial that sets what vents the HVAC ( that lights when you push it) as being a rear window defroster when it is actually for the right and left rear view mirrors. Unless your window sticker or if you don't have that check by vin number for your build sheet you don't have a rear window defroster.

Nope, it’s a rear defroster logo for sure, right under the front defroster button. Wasn’t on the build sheet, the premise is if you don’t have a defroster then why is the button there and why does it actually light up. Looks like it’s for the heated mirrors as stated above. Kinda stupid and kinda lazy. Not listed in the manual at all, FCA shoulda put a mirror button there if no defroster. Just saying

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nope, it’s a rear defroster logo for sure, right under the front defroster button. Wasn’t on the build sheet, the premise is if you don’t have a defroster then why is the button there and why does it actually light up. Looks like it’s for the heated mirrors as stated above. Kinda stupid and kinda lazy. Not listed in the manual at all, FCA shoulda put a mirror button there if no defroster. Just saying
I find in general the control systems in the new ram have become less user friendly and more run through a bunch of menus and give the screen your undivided attention while driving. Hopefully the trend of using engineers who must take the bus for transportation designing control systems will end soon. My new limited feels like a downgrade from my 11 interior wise. There's a reason I don't drive it.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2015, I do not have a grind on my glass, but do have a rear defroster. I think it works from the glass frame. I know mine works, as the snow melts off my glass before the cab is hot from heat.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it controls the heated side view mirrors. on my dads 17 Laramie the side view mirrors have the defroster icon on the mirrors (i think all heated mirrors do). He also does not have a rear window defroster.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a bit different then the one I have for the rear view mirrors. Mine is on the dial that sets which vents the airflow is going to.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That is a bit different then the one I have for the rear view mirrors. Mine is on the dial that sets which vents the airflow is going to.
They got rid of that dial on the newer ones. Now it's all on the touch screen.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They got rid of that dial on the newer ones. Now it's all on the touch screen.
What he’s describing is the center stack layout that comes with the 3.0 and 5.0 radios, which they do still make. What you’re thinking of is the center stack button layout that comes with the 8.4 radios. The button he’s described does, in fact, control the heated mirrors, as the rear window defrost is not an option on the express.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I have the same front defrost and rear defrost buttons. Even my 8.4 radio has rear defrost on settings that lights up. But, found out unless equipped they all have that rear defrost button, if no grid lines on rear window, it is just for side mirrors. Ram should have done a mirror defrost button instead for non rear defrost vehicles, but prob just easier and cheaper to use same for both.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did
What he’s describing is the center stack layout that comes with the 3.0 and 5.0 radios, which they do still make. What you’re thinking of is the center stack button layout that comes with the 8.4 radios. The button he’s described does, in fact, control the heated mirrors, as the rear window defrost is not an option on the express.
I didn't know they made good controls for the heat still on the standard models. Makes me wonder why the higher models got the crappy ones.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a '17 Laramie with the power rear window and rear defrost. The back windows do have the grid lines and are controlled by the button directly underneath the front defroster. The rear defrost button also controls the heated side mirrors as others have previously stated. It is my understanding that if you do not have the rear defrost option, then the button just controls the heated side mirrors. My old '04 SLT did not have rear defrost, but it had a similar button for the heated side mirrors.