Rear Diferential Noise/Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblingRIck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins, 4 speed auto. Differential is identified on build sheet as : 11.50 Rear Axle, Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio.

Responding to rear end noise (probably partially due to tire noise, end of life), dealership pulled drain plug and found a couple of small metal fragments. Dealer recommended $$ rebuild. Pulling cover at home, in addition to the couple of unidentified metal fragments on the drain plug the oil had a fine metallic sparkle. Gears appeared normal based on visual (had pulled axles). Planning on replacing all bearings. What other parts, if any, should be replaced (assuming all gears still look good)? Do you have any information on this differential and removal/rebuild/replacement procedure? There appears to be welded lock wires/retainers. My son has done some other differential work but first time on this one/type and he will be performing the work DIY at home (no "special" tools available).

Questions on bearing quality. I believe Timken bearings are considered superior to others and therefore would be preferred, is this correct?

Also, I have been doing some comparison shopping on RockAuto (www.rockauto.com) and Randy's Worldwide Automotive (www.ringpinion.com). Any opinions on parts/quality/support/prices from either. Have some experience with Randy's. RockAuto seems quite a bit lower pricewise but may be lacking in the support side.

Thanks for the help. (posted on multiple forums)

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
I used Timken. No Issues with them. Also i have half very good experience with Rockauto.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Rebuilt my 07 QC T56 5.9L rearend a year ago. Easy to work on, but everything is heavy.. Mine had a open differential which is why I opened it up to install a DDT carrier. I did mine in a friends shop on a lift. Took about 4 hours at my slow pace. I couldn't be more pleased with the TrueTrac DDT. Its very close to a locker without the noise.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Call Randy's ring and pinion. Great people and great shipping. I would put pinion,carrier,and wheel bearings in if you are gonna pull it apart. I rebuilt my 9.25 rear for about 900 with a tru trac carrier. Don' know if your diff is more expensive.