Rear End jerk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDawg148

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. What gives. Occasionally when I leave from a stop light there is a jerk or jolt from the rear end. What the hell is this? It doesn't happen all the time just occasionally.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Driveline lash. Every vehicle has it to some degree, some just worst that others to be noticeable.

As to a defect condition, has to be checked as there is "serviceable limits".

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. What gives. Occasionally when I leave from a stop light there is a jerk or jolt from the rear end. What the hell is this? It doesn't happen all the time just occasionally.

My 14' Lonestar CC did the same thing. I never knew exactly what it was. It was doing it from pretty much when I bought the truck to when I traded it in at 60k miles.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The rear end clunk! I diagnosed the issue finally after searching every forum with no help, even my dealer said it was inherent to that model. Thst BS, whats happening is the two piece driveshaft on 1500 crew cabs if you have one, very easy to tell look 2 feet forward of the rear end you will see a accordion style rubber boot. the rear piece of the driveshaft slides into the front piece, it comes geassed from the factory, sometime like mine had very little grease, it even had gall marks and some rust. first remove the two SS bands holding the boot on remove the 4 bolts holding driveshft to rear end and slide it out of the front piece, I smoothed all my rough spots and rust off with emory cloth then greased it real good, I cut the factory bands off and replaced with 4'' radiator style clamps, slide shaft back in torque the 4 bolts to 85 ft use 242 locktight and your fixed. Now a update to this I used green grease I thought it would be great but my clunk started to come back slightly after about 800 miles so I re did it and used lochtite c5a copper anti seize, its even better than before stops and leaves like butter. the factory grease was red looked like lucas tacky red so I have some of that I got from napa along with the clamps if it ever needs it again but I think the anti seize will hold up long term. I did mine myself cause I knew I would do a better job that the dealer but I'm sure the warrant will cover it if you can get the dealer to do it. I posted the fix several weeks ago and so many guys have this issue I wanted it to be a sticky so guys could find it but it never was done.

here is a link to my original topic;
http://www.ramforum.com/f38/rear_end_clunk_letting_off_brakes-86619/
here are pics of the type drive shaft this works on.
http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/11/97/98/31/img_2412.jpg

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/11/97/98/31/img_2413.jpg

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^ Great information---Thank You