Rear main seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a rear main seal leak. Who's done the job and can it be done with the transmission in the truck? I would do the oil pump at the same time of course. Any pointers would be great, pictures would be even better if possible.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I found this which looks like a pretty good write up, just want to see what else is out there. Also, are the main bearing cap torque specifications the same on a 96 5.2 as a 98 5.9?

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I'll have to find the write up. But you can actually leave the tranny hooked up. You'll need to drop the mid pipe and raise the engine slightly. It's a two part seal though. Oil pan gasket and oil pump would be a good idea. The sending unit would also be a good thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
The crossmember may have to come out also. I'll look for that write up for you though. It's gonna be about a 4 hour job. The only bad thing about those two part seals, if you don't get them to mate perfectly, there's a chance that'll still leak. So take your time.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thank you. I plan to replace the oil pump while im in there. New oil pan gasket sealed with RTV and a small glob of RTV where the 2 pieces of seal mate. I would really appreciate the link if you have it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Pull the starter, remove the tranny inspection cover, remove both braces that go from the motor to the tranny, remove the dipstick from the tube, drop the oil pan, remove oil pump, remove main cap, remove rear main seal. Install upper part of the rear seal and then clock it so that the seam is not the same as the cap/block, install the lower part of the seal onto the crank, install main cap and tq to spec.

5.9 Crankshaft Main Bearing Cap Bolts .... 115 N®m (85 ft. lbs.)
5.2 Crankshaft Main Bearing Cap Bolts .... 115 N*m (85 ft. lbs.)

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Thank you. I plan to replace the oil pump while im in there. New oil pan gasket sealed with RTV and a small glob of RTV where the 2 pieces of seal mate. I would really appreciate the link if you have it.

Ok there are only four spots to use rtv on the oil pan gasket and thats in the tight corners, main cap and the timing cover. Not rtv for this use an an Anaerobic sealer, only on the ends of the seal where they meet. I use Loctite 5188 Ultra-Tough Flange Sealant. Clocking the seal in the block/cap helps to solve the leaking that some get after changing the seal.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Awesome info. Wouldn't it be a good idea to use a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the oil pan gasket though? I wasn't going to use it in place of the gasket I was going to use it along with the gasket.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Paper gasket yes both sides very thin film only, black rtv. But you should be getting a one piece rubber gasket if so my info stands only in the very tight corners where the gasket get pushed into the main block spot and the timing cover to pan spot.

Edit to add; Do not install that seal dry, I like to use a thin film of MoS2 engine assy paste or engine assy lube. Motor oil will work but not as good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Rubber oil pan seal with out a doubt. I always grease seals, o rings, anything like that before installing.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I did a very fast pix of where to put the rtv.

Gasketrtvpoint_zpse59ff390.png

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Your artwork is a thing of beauty merc haha

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Here's that write up I was talking about. Merc was spot on with his description. This comes with pics and the tools needed though.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I used that write up when I changed mine. A lot of good information in there.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Dude linking to other forums......... not.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
My bad. Seemed like a good idea at the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta