Rear main seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I don't see a problem with it. There wasn't anything to link from this page, someone on another page had a good write up. Benefits everyone here now or in the future, that's what we're all about right?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I understand.

I could link people left right and center to other forums to help them but I take the time to write it out as best I can and supply photo's if possible. I don't think I have ever linked to another forum. RF needs some basic Diy's on this kind of stuff and its up to the members to help get them posted so as we can support other members right here on RF not send them off other places where they might stay. Your doing this job now no better time to make a Diy for RF.

Like most forums RF has a rule on it, #8

Please follow these rules of our board and we all should get along nicely here.

READ THEM CAREFULLY!!

1. No nudity/****. Images or links like this will be deleted without warning and warnings/infractions/suspensions will be coming.

2. No pictures/videos of dead or dismembered animals/people at all. This also includes no animal abuse image and/or videos. Images/Videos like this will be deleted without warning and warnings/infractions/suspensions will be coming.

3. No racial slurs, comments, jokes, etc. This includes serious homosexual comments and the like.

4. No serious bashing of other members or member's family. If it's out of fun, that's fine. If you really have a problem with someone, report it to admin/super mod or try to resolve it through PMs. Do not take it to the public boards or both will have the chance of being suspended/banned.

5. Please keep all posts related to the original poster's (OPs) thread topic and all threads in appropriate sections. This will help keep the forum better organized, more informative and enjoyable. Break this rule and you WILL be getting a warning. Repeat it, you will be suspended.

6. To advertise or sell on the forum you must be a site vendor or sponsor. Screen names with businesses in them will be edited upon arrival, and post will be deleted as spam.

7. We allow cussing here on these boards, but in moderation. We do NOT allow you to post a cuss word in a post topic.

8. NO references or linking to other forums, unless it is a forum operating under the FullyDriven.com network.

9. Username changes. We will change if you have less than 30 days on the forum and less than 50 posts.

10. First Name additions - if you'd like your first name to be added to your profile, please PM an admin (anyone in RED).

11. Political opinions and views are an extremely touchy subject, Please refrain from such posts. To keep keep RamForum a drama free environment, we will remove posts pertaining to political topics, views, and or opinions.

If you do not like these rules sorry .

These rules may/will be changed or added to without warning. So you may want to check back here every so often so you can be up to date on the rules and can stay out of trouble.
Few and VERY Simple. We take those rules seriously, so please follow them and we will have a good time here RamForum.com.
Thanks everyone.

-RamForum.com Staff

Silver Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the starter, remove the tranny inspection cover, remove both braces that go from the motor to the tranny, remove the dipstick from the tube, drop the oil pan, remove oil pump, remove main cap, remove rear main seal. Install upper part of the rear seal and then clock it so that the seam is not the same as the cap/block, install the lower part of the seal onto the crank, install main cap and tq to spec.

5.9 Crankshaft Main Bearing Cap Bolts .... 115 N®m (85 ft. lbs.)
5.2 Crankshaft Main Bearing Cap Bolts .... 115 N*m (85 ft. lbs.)

Good Morning Merc,
When you say "clock" the seal, I assume it to mean do not align the ends of the seal with the face of the block/pan mating surface. This would mean to me that a portion of the upper part of new seal projecting below the block/pan mating surface as well as opposite end recessed.

Are there additional "tips/tricks" when installing the main cap and lower seal element other than sealant you advised on each end and lubing the seal itself? I ask, because I assume the lower section of the seal is imbedded in the main cap and therefore will require some initial alignment to the "clocking". Is there risk of damaging the portion of the seal that must be pushed up into recess to mate with the respective end of the upper, "clocked" seal?

Thank you!
Scott.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I made that sound easy but yes take your time as the lower part of the seal (on the crank) must fit into the main cap as its put on. I have had luck installing the seal in the cap clocking it and then installing the cap, try whatever way works best for you.

Silver Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I did the rear main seal tonight. Don't have the pan back on yet. Apparently it was just practice because I think I need to take it all back apart tomorrow and turn it around. :Stupid Me:

I have a Timken seal, which does not have any paint or instruction for which way to face the seal. I'm pretty sure I put it in backwards based on some web pic's I've found, but are not conclusive. There is a bigger side (more robust looking or primary seal rib if you will) and a smaller side. I put the bigger side of the seal towards the back of the engine. I get the feeling that the smaller side should be toward the back of the engine. See my crude drawing of the seal profile.

What is the deal with the RTV on main cap? Manual says to fill the machined slot in the cap with RTV in addition to the dab of flange sealer???? Is this correct?

Anyone have any experience with Timken seals. It's good and lubed up so I think it should come out and still be good to reinstall. Anybody care to weigh in?

Attachments

• Timken Seal sketch.jpg
    Timken Seal sketch.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 107