Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Anyone ever have to replace the rear main seal on their 3rd Gen Ram..?
I noticed last year that I was leaking oil on my 1500 so I had it looked at. After an examination by couple mechanics, they both said it was my rear main seal that was leaking. But the mechanic I take my Ram to told me it was around a 5-6 hour job, (For A $30 Seal). He told me he would have to remove the drive shaft, transfer case, cross member, and the transmission to change the seal. And that's if everything goes alright, no broken bolts.

But when doing some research online and on RF, I've read that the transmission doesn't need to be completely removed, only separated. I'm no mechanic obviously, but is dropping the transmission really necessary..? Or does doing so only make replacing the rear main seal that much easier..? I'm thinking about getting this done soon as my leak is getting worse. I'm having to add about 1.5 quarts of oil per 1400 kilometres. Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
It's moot, I think. You'd still have 99% of the work in the procedure, regardless.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Take it to another place. Probably $150 job with parts by an independent shop.

Jersey ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Didn't want to bump an old thread but are you serious about $150 job? I'm debating trying to change my rear main because I was turned off by some of the quotes I've read people had gotten, but $150 would save me a ton of grief...

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

????? seriously $150 job. I would not take my truck to any shop willing to do this job for $150.
Do you want some guy making minimum wage taking your transmission in and out? Maybe someone in a work release program from the local prison? Or a shade tree and cresent wrench, in his back yard?

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is not a difficult job for a shop that knows differentials. The seal is $20-$30 and basically paying all labor. I have had it done my 4th gen being an 09 is the same rear as 3rd gen dealers charges $99+ an hour vs smaller shops $40-$70.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is not a difficult job for a shop that knows differentials. The seal is $20-$30 and basically paying all labor. I have had it done my 4th gen being an 09 is the same rear as 3rd gen dealers charges $99+ an hour vs smaller shops $40-$70.

I know what the job entails, I've had many transmissions out of Rams.
About a 6 hour job with 4wd. Even at $40 an hour 40 Times 6 does not equal $150.
I also don't know of any reputable independent that charges $40 an hour for this kind of work. $70 maybe

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can you just delete my account. Jk. Sometimes my weekend wrenching brain shows. I am not a mechanic just a guy who usually tackles projects. Disregard my comments in this thread.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can you just delete my account. Jk. Sometimes my weekend wrenching brain shows. I am not a mechanic just a guy who usually tackles projects. Disregard my comments in this thread.

No problem everybody makes mistakes, sorry if I got a little pissy. :)

AVERAGE JOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever have to replace the rear main seal on their 3rd Gen Ram..?
I noticed last year that I was leaking oil on my 1500 so I had it looked at. After an examination by couple mechanics, they both said it was my rear main seal that was leaking. But the mechanic I take my Ram to told me it was around a 5-6 hour job, (For A $30 Seal). He told me he would have to remove the drive shaft, transfer case, cross member, and the transmission to change the seal. And that's if everything goes alright, no broken bolts.

But when doing some research online and on RF, I've read that the transmission doesn't need to be completely removed, only separated. I'm no mechanic obviously, but is dropping the transmission really necessary..? Or does doing so only make replacing the rear main seal that much easier..? I'm thinking about getting this done soon as my leak is getting worse. I'm having to add about 1.5 quarts of oil per 1400 kilometres. Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
UnfortunateIy no. I had other priorities that needed my attention.. Right now it’s not high on my priority list. It’s very slow leaking and hasn’t gotten worse. But I need to address my no heat issue first since I’ve had almost no heat for a few years now. Gets bitter cold this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: