Rear recovery points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've only seen people using the receiver and a d-ring, what is the best option for a rear recovery point?

Truck is a 2006 1500 slt megacab 4wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marine6212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
http://www.roadarmor.com/06_08_dodge_1500?sku=44100B

A bumper like this with "D" ring tabs welded to it!
Also get the winch mount and add a winch to the back, I don't know how many times I have seen some one hook a chain or tow rope to a reciever hitch and "snatch" on it with another truck. Your frame was not designed to be snatched on! A slow steady pull will be safer from a winch!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always used my receiver hitch. The idea is to have the least amount of metal as possible so, I use a bubba rope and 2 bubba rope gator jaws.

The gator jaw is just like a D ring but 3x stronger and also a rope so you won't have any damage if it breaks loose.

The bubba rope allows you to snatch but it is easier on parts.

Depending on your situation, depends on your tool.

A bubba rope would be fine is mud, sand and snow as long as you're not suck down to the frame.
Winching is good for tight areas like rocks

7Kings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't recommend throwing a recovery strap (especially a snatch-strap) over a trailer hitch ball, if that's what we're talking about. I'm new to trucks, but I've spent more than my fair share of time off-road with modified Jeeps, and this includes a lot of recoveries on both sides of the equation. A hitch ball with a snatch strap looped over it can become the scariest slingshot you've ever seen.

In the absence of recovery points, there's nothing wrong with using a d-ring adapter hitch insert or even removing the hitch and stuffing the loop of the recovery strap in the receiver itself, securing it with the hitch pin. Done this sort of setup several times with good results.

Big thing to remember is to try to never recover a vehicle off-angle - that's the way you break things and tweak frames. Try to pull directly in line with the wheels if at all possible, and try to avoid using a tow strap as a snatch strap - the elasticity of a snatch strap really helps to minimize shock on the vehicles and helps the recovery process more than you'd think.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never use a recovery strap on a trailer ball it could be deadly
Best to use d-ring adapter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio