Recommendations for black exterior paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Miss Blackened-heart, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Miss Blackened-heart

Miss Blackened-heart Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 express. It's the black on black edition. I have never owned a brand new black car. Is there anything extra I can do from the start to protect my exterior paint?

Also is there any additional information that I should be made aware of about the matte black rims?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Cmsharp

Cmsharp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Welcome! I have a black ram too. Black shows swirls a lot easier. My advice is to limit the amount you touch/rub the paint, automatic car washes etc. I use meguires clay bar/ polish/ and wax. I mostly wash mine with a sprayer and dry with a leafblower. I hand wash it every 2-3 months. It keeps it looking pretty good. Enjoy your new Ram!

Miss Blackened-heart likes this.
  3. Miss Blackened-heart

Miss Blackened-heart Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Thank you! Out here most people do automatic car washes, so I will have to find an alternative. I'm not allowed to wash my truck At my condo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RoadKing

RoadKing Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Sport Crew
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7
    I talked to a painter about black paint showing scratches. I agree best not to rub on it too much. The painter told me they will have freshly painted vehicles come out of the paint booth showing scratches. ha ha. I drove myself crazy trying to keep my Black Ram looking good. Now I have a gray one.

5. bhonshell37

bhonshell37 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Thank you! Out here most people do automatic car washes, so I will have to find an alternative. I'm not allowed to wash my truck At my condo.
    Condo living is not an issue if you do not mind investing in some detailing products. Check Amazon, Autogeek and Autopia plus Detailed Image. Find a waterless wash, get about 40 microfiber towels of different gsm. Find two wash bucket from a home and Garden store. Join Autopia or Autogeek here. A brand to start reading about is OPT. OPTIMUM POLYMER TECHNOLOGIES. Awesome brand.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Demon-HeMi

Demon-HeMi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
    Engine:
    (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
    i used many different things on my black edition ram, i had it for around 3 years and only swirls on it were the few the dealer added, how to wash will depend on how dirty, a good rinse less wash goes a long way, all you would have to do is fill up two buckets and thats all you need, personally i washed and waxed the truck every week to two weeks but thats just me, im a detailer and i used my truck as advertisement lol, but she was always beautiful...

Im a big fan of chemical guys products and their rinseless wash, it works in the sun and really doesnt take too long to wash an entire truck, if the truck is really dirty and you arent allowed to do a real wash on your truck id jsut got to a regular wash and use the high power hand sprayer, and spray the bulk off and then come home and do a rinseless wash on it, or if its not really that dirty, do a waterless wash, those are great too...

7. Demon-HeMi

Ram Year:
    2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
    Engine:
    (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
    3 years old and this is what my paint looked like, i never once polished this truck, some say that waterless and rinsless washes will swirl your truck, not if you do it right

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. bhonshell37

bhonshell37 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    How much orange peel do you have? I used Carpro velvet pads on my white 04 Ram with M105 had minimum results.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

9. Demon-HeMi

Ram Year:
    2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
    Engine:
    (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
    if you are asking me, you can see in the pix how much orange peel my truck had, polishing pads wont remove orange peel, you have to sand that off and then polish the truck

10. Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I'm giving Optimum a go on their rinseless wash for my black edition 2500. I had a shit ton of swirls when I bought and referred correction out to a local guy that offered a price I couldn't refuse despite being able to myself. Then coated it with chemical guys black light to fill in any left over imperfection, then their sealant and finally their 5050 concourse wax. It pops and has a better reflection than factory. As mentioned the less you scrub it or use auto washes the better. I'm my opinion, Chrysler used a soft paint for a paint cause just getting out of my bed, I brushed the side with basketball shorts and put fine scratches in it. But after the work this is the result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]