Recommended trans filter and cooler kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just as the title says. I'm going to have to drop the pan on the transmission again to replace the pressure solenoid. Before I do that I'm planning on installing a separate transmission cooler and a filter kit with a check valve.

I've been looking at Perma-cool but I don't see anything in their filter kits about a check valve.

My idea on the check valve is to prevent myself from having to put 5 quarts of fluid back into the transmission when I drop the pan like I had to do when I changed the filter and tightened the bands.

Any suggestions? I'm still digging but more information is always welcome.

NoMPG2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up both items on eBay for about $50. Just get a universal cooler kit.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What I recommend is T’ing off to a remote filter and the largest stacked plate trans cooler you can buy. Come off the cooler lines before the radiator and go to the remote filter and cooler.
This way you have redundancy and if the check valve does go your still cooling.
I did this and a deep pan and it added close to 7 extra quarts of fluid.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't have a check valve. Someone removed it before I bought it. I was looking into a secondary inline filter setup and saw where someone said they got one that had a check valve in the filter. That's one of the things I'm trying to hunt down.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The check valve was a lot of times omitted by guys as it was what usually the cause of trans failures.
If it doesn’t have it I wouldn’t worry about it.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I understand that part. My reasoning behind all this was because I'm going to have to drop the pan again soon to install a Jr shift kit and replace the Pressure control solenoid and the TCC Solenoid. I figured if I found a Filter kit with a check valve I wouldn't have to dump 5-6 quarts back into the transmission like last time when my TC drained as I changed the filter. :/

From what I understand some of these filter kits come with a check valve in the filter and when you change the filter you change the valve. I'm just trying to make sure I get the right one and don't accidentally order one without one.

That's my line of thinking if it makes any sense.

Edit: I'm a damn moron. If the filter has an anti-drainback valve then it's essentially a check valve so any filter kit will work as long as I use a filter that has a anti-drainback valve. :banghead:

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you drop the pan you're always going to have to add 5-6qts, regardless of whatever check valve you have installed. There is no check valve filter for the factory filter setup, you can get valves for the lines but those won't do anything towards what you're trying to do.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you drop the pan you're always going to have to add 5-6qts, regardless of whatever check valve you have installed. There is no check valve filter for the factory filter setup, you can get valves for the lines but those won't do anything towards what you're trying to do.

I wondered about that. I'd like to know why the FSM says "(a) If only fluid and filter were changed, add 3 pints (1-1/2 quarts) of ATF Plus to transmission." I thought this sounded really low for an automatic transmission.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly you don’t get a lot just by dropping the pan & changing the filter.
I can see maybe 3.5 qts

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine took 5.5 Qts to refill because the Torque Converter drained. I'll probably just skip the external filter and do a external cooler. I do plan on eliminating the radiator from the cooler equation though.