Redemption... Sorta..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I tok my 2500 into a second dealer today for the rear end noise and shudder at take off (sometimes)

The first dealer said it was normal (for the whine) and could not duplicate fro the shudder.

The second dealer sent me away with the Head service guy, and immediately he felt the shudder on take off..
That was good. I relayed my thoughts that I think the carrier bearing (hangars) needs shimmed down a bit, because when I load the bed with a couple thousand pounds, it settles the suspension and its smooth as silk.. no shudder.He agreed with this possibility.

As for the rear end whine, he heard it and he did not say it was normal. He did say that he had a hard time thinking something was wrong with the rear end as when he was driving it and got it into the range where it makes the noise he went slightly faster and kicked it into neutral and it still made the whine even with no power to the rear wheels until it fell out of the 65ish mph range. So, he acknowledged the noise, and said he can't say its not the tires.. I'm pretty sure its not the tires, but this guy is being at least understanding, so I have an appointment to have the tires rotated, which is was due for anyway, and see if that changes the noise any. They are also going to look at the driveline angle (regarding shudder) and also check for obvious things like fluid level, contamination, etc..
So all and all, I had a better experience than the first dealer . I spent 1 hour at this dealership and got to ride with the head honcho in service and got more info than the when it was at the other dealership for a week.

So , Lets see where it goes from here, because I really like my truck! I'm still thinking maybe a loose pinion or something, I'll let the thing play out with the process of elimination and go from there..

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your a VERY lucky man for someone to spend that much time and take that much interest in your problem. If they get it fixed correctly, you might take him to lunch just to say thanks.
Jay

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, great luck you have! All i hear is "normal characteristics"..... Keep that relationship going as long as you can

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea Im a little relieved at least at this point.. So Il have an appointment. Im anxious to hear what it will be if the tires don't change the noise any when rotated (which I don't think they will) Curious what that next step will be.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your a VERY lucky man for someone to spend that much time and take that much interest in your problem. If they get it fixed correctly, you might take him to lunch just to say thanks.
Jay

yea really, at the very least !

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, well I took it in yesterday. Again, At least this dealership acknowledges something a little off. They rotated the tires, (to see if it changed the whine in the rear any), checked the diff fluid, measured the driveline angle (for shudder) and shimmed the carrier bearing 1/4" down. SO shimming it down .25 resulted in no noticeable changes to the shudder, but IMO, we need to go lower than that because when I have 2K in the bed of the truck its definitely sitting lower than .25 and when its loaded its smooth as silk, and no shudder. I may end up just taking care of this myself.. I honestly feel like its a little better now with 9K miles on it than it was new, probably because the suspension is settling a bit.

as for the whine, it didnt change at all with the tire rotation, so that tells me its not the tires. I understand the dilemma, it doesnt "seem" like a rear diff issue, because you can get up to 65 and kick it in neutral and it still makes the noise while decelerating until it gets down to 60 or so then goes away. He opened a case the engineers to get feedback..

BUT, I am am VERY pleased with the service at this dealership and to finally have someone recognize Im not an idiot and everything is NOT normal.. I feel now at least EVENTUALLY, we will get the bugs worked out!

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is nice to hear a story about a dealer actually doing good a good job and working to keep a customer happy instead of what we usually see.

Yea, thats exactly why im posting it.. I feel like it may take a while, and more trips back and forth to get it finally correct, but hey, at least we are moving and i'm dealing with the guy in charge!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Sucks when an issue is annoying to fix but it makes it that much better when you know the dealer is treating you right and trying.

rstang98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it whine when you're on the gas or off?

rstang98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a problem with my mustang gears where when you let off the gas it whined even in neutral. I would have them check the backlash on the gears because this could cause a whine. Once it's worn in the only way to get rid of the whine is to replace the gears.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every time I've had a complaint, the answer has been "That's normal".

Well, they have had to fix every one of those normal it turned out it wasn't normal when they looked at it again.

If the noise is there in neutral and in gear, then it almost has to be in the axle or the tires/brakes....

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a problem with my mustang gears where when you let off the gas it whined even in neutral. I would have them check the backlash on the gears because this could cause a whine. Once it's worn in the only way to get rid of the whine is to replace the gears.

Had the same thing on my 2011 GT and my 12 Boss 302.