Regarding Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I'll preface this by staying that I'm not (yet) all that mechanically inclined. With that said, just how bad is it to access the bulbs on an '18 with the projector housings?
The owners manual makes it sound relatively simple, but I've seen tons of people online commenting on how they're breaking the clips and such.
I really would like to improve the lighting on my truck, but at the same time I don't want to start breaking things on it haha.

Last edited:

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the 17's you have to remove a plastic clip on a cover behind the light inside the wheel well. The clip is easy to snap, but easily replaced.

There is a clip inside, you push in place.

Then a 2 bolts on the top and bottom grill side on each lamp. Plus a couple of grommets.

Pull head light out. Standard twist connectors.

10mm.

Its not hard. Take ya 7 or 8 minutes for both.

If you are trying to go L.E.D you will need the conversion kit if you have halogens.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be careful when/if you pull the grille and headlights out that you don't scratch the hell out of your paint. I've had mine out on two different Rams several times and I always use painters tape and rags to cover it after getting some scratches the first time around. The 4300K and 5000K HID kits Diode Dynamics and Xenon Depot both work well and have good warranties(although neither are particularly inexpensive). I also tried a cheaper kit from Amazon on my old 2001 Silverado and had nothing but problems. Don't forget your anti-flicker /Canbus modules to avoid the dreaded bulb out message.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have done this multiple times, on my 1500 and 2500. As said it isn’t as much of a pain as you’d think. I haven’t broken any clips yet. It is easier on the 2500 with the extra space in the wheel wells. Good tip about watching the paint on your bumper.

OP
OP
Eightd21

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Thanks for the replies and info, I guess the only way to do it is to just do it haha. That tip about protecting the paint is great too.
Now I just need to decide if the Opt-7 LED bulbs are worth it, or if I should just go with Phillips Crystal Vision or trim 9011 tabs.
Distance, brightness and clarity are important when a deer could dart out in front of you at any time.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I'd go hid. Worth the extra money and wiring imo.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Can pull headlights out, and grill, in under 10-15 minutes...very simple.

OP
OP
Eightd21

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I'd go hid. Worth the extra money and wiring imo.
I'm thinking about it. Is there a concensus here on which HIDs and ballast are considered "best"?

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
HID is still top dog for low beams. The simplest and easiest upgrade is LED’s in your factory fogs. They will light the entire forest in front of you without having to mess with your headlights. Upgrading your high beams to 9011 will literally turn them into spot lights!

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I'm thinking about it. Is there a concensus here on which HIDs and ballast are considered "best"?
I'm a morimoto fan. Hylux is good too. Hit up jj at retroshop. He has everything you need and great customer service too.

OP
OP
Eightd21

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I've decided for now to upgrade the halogens. I've got Philips Xtreme Visions for the LBs and Philips 9011s (with the tab mod) for the HBs. Fogs I sprung for Diode Dynamics LEDs.
I'll be upgrading to HID LBs once it's warmer out.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Go HID, I had the opt7 LED's and they blow. I'm switching to HID this week after I install my new projectors