Reliability & Durability of the V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kathyricks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm new to RAM pickups as I've been a Toyota pickup man for 30 years, but have been drawn to considering buying a RAM after renting a 2WD V6 quadcab 1500 during the Xmas week and discovering the comfort of the seats and how smooth and carlike the ride is and compared to Tacoma, Tundra and an F150 I rented earlier.

So I'm wondering if the RAM V6 is a proven design with good reliability and durability or is it a relatively new engine with an unproven reputation or does hit have some known engineering weaknesses? Thanks alot. Ditto the 8 speed automatic. Thanks alot.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Penastar engine is a good engine. If you are looking for fuel economy then the V6 is the way to go. However, I have a 2017 HEMI. I had a 2013 HEMI and I traded it in for a smaller truck and regretted it two days later. Now that I'm back in a Ram I a happy camper. The ride is great and the power of the V8 is more then enough for my dad bod. Do what you need to that best suits you. The Tacomas are nice trucks by the way.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Imho, the comfort found in ram trucks can't be beat. The v6 has been a solid engine in my wrangler. Choose your gearing to suit your needs.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I've had my 2016 for about 15 months now and with 20K on the clock. I haven't had a single issue with it. I too am pleased with the comfort and ride of the vehicle. My last daily driver was a 2006 Cadillac STS.

I looked at all the smaller trucks. Just didn't have the comfort, were awfully small and the economy really wasn't that much better than Ram's 6 cylinder Pentastar engine. It's my daily driver and I don't do any serious hauling. I couldn't be more pleased. I plan on keeping it long term so I purchased the lifetime warranty.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Kathy, First WELCOME to the group and Happy New Year! Ask any question you may have on the RAM and someone will help !
I picked up my 2015 RAM last year with the V6 , For me at 64 Plenty of power for this old guy :)
MPG not too bad for a full size truck. Hwy I avg 21/22 mpg best was 23.4 . My all around average is 20 mpg +or- With winter gas and dedicated snows I avg 18mpg +or- , Comfort as you found out is car like and seats are good for the long haul !

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Please do some additional research on this v6 pentastar. I recall seeing lots of threads with issues for this engine.

Id stick with tacoma or tundra

OP
OP
K

kathyricks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Please do some additional research on this v6 pentastar. I recall seeing lots of threads with issues for this engine. I'd stick with tacoma or tundra
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the latest Tacoma is a near disaster of unrefinement; e.g. it's V6 engine drives as though it has permanently ******** ignition timing, hence requires nearly full throttle to have any get up and go and about 1/3 throttle to maintain freeway speeds. The latest Tacoma also has small, hard seat bottoms and a hard ride even in the base 2WD configuration. The Tundra has an OK drivetrain, but its stiff ride motions are also tiring on long trips. By contrast, this is what Consumer Reports has to say about the RAM 1500:

“This is the most comfortable-riding full-sized pickup on the market, yet the Ram is also plenty capable of grunt work. Its coil-spring rear suspension helps cushion the ride, and the spacious cab is luxury-car quiet. Our Big Horn Crew Cab, with its smooth 5.7-liter V8, averaged 15 mpg. The base 3.6-liter V6 is no weakling, but it tows less. The torquey 3.0-liter diesel V6 version is expensive but delivers effortless thrust and returns a class-leading 20 mpg overall. Rear-seat room is generous, and the Uconnect 8.4-inch touch-screen infotainment system is easy to use. The top trim Limited is lavishly furnished inside and benefits from air suspension that lends the Ram a comfortable ride.”

In 2016 Consumer Reports said the RAM had terrible reliability, but then in October 2017 they wrote:

"Newly Recommended Models With Improved Reliability
Audi A3, Chrysler Pacifica, Ford F-150, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Ram 1500, Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, Volkswagen Passat."

So even though I'd probably have to put up with potentially more long term mechanical trouble with a RAM as compared to a Tundra or Tacoma, those years and miles would be near luxury car pleasant and comfortable.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In 2016 Consumer Reports said the RAM had terrible reliability, but then in October 2017 they wrote:

"Newly Recommended Models With Improved Reliability
Ram 1500

I never really understood Consumer Reports and still don't.

The current RAMs were redesigned beginning with MY 2013, they received a new electrical system, computers, and the 8-speed transmission. I've got one of these, a 2013 Laramie, it has been problem free and only back to the dealer for scheduled maintenance (oil changes at this point) and recalls. I have to admit, RAM recalls are numerous, perhaps more than other manufacturers, at least for the 2013. I just received another recall for my 2013, this time, for a possible DTC that could disable the side airbags during a roll-over event.

You will see complaints but nobody posts good news reports. It seems to me, after reading RAM forums since 2013, the majority of issues are amplified by the dealer service personnel.

When it came time to get a new tow vehicle, I went with RAM's 3500 Cummins solution. This vehicle has also been trouble free outside of the recalls :(.

If I remember correctly, CR seems to fault the entire vehicle due to issues with the infotainment system. I remember Ford getting hit hard over the poorly performing Microsoft Sync system. RAM's biggest issue with the 1500 CC is paint, the Warren assembly had an old paint shop. This is changing as they move assembly to the Sterling Height plant I think around now.

The 8-speed transmission isn't new, it has a long history in European luxury vehicles. It is just new to Chrysler. They did have a few startup issues, mine has been trouble free.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
the 3.6 motor has been great to me, just under 160k on mine and it gets 24-25mpg all day long, plenty of power and paired up to the 8spd auto like i have, the truck will not disappoint

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seem to recall some issues on the first run of those pentastars, but since they've been very reliable. As you've already noted, these trucks are a pleasure to drive.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
We have the 3.6 in our Durango with the 8 spd. tranny. Absolutely love it! Has a lot of power for aV6 & great mpg for as big as the Durango's are. I have gotten as much as 28mpg on long trips & get 20-22 city driving. I think there was some issues with the 3.6 when it first came out but I think all of that has been resolved.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plenty of power and great gas mileage as a bonus. I made sure to get mine with the 3:55 gear ratio. I drove both the V6 & the V8, and preferred the better mileage to the little extra power the V8 has that in normal daily driving most really don't need.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have 2 3.6L's in my stable. My wife has a 2013 Grand Caravan with 101,000 miles. Its only needed tires, headlights, brakes, and oil changes. We bought it at 50,000 miles and it was a rental in its previous lifetime. Zero issues so far and has plenty of power for a minivan. I have a 2015 1500 QC that has 88,000 miles. I drive it over 150 miles/day 5 days a week. I bought it February of last year with around 48,000 miles. It also was a rental in its previous lifetime. Tires, new headlight bulbs, and oil changes have been all it requires so far.

If you don't tow much then the V6 is great. It will still tow a boat or small motor home occasionally if needed. I wouldn't hesitate buying one again.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My nephew had a whole lot more trouble with his Taco, than I ever did with my 99 Dakota. Toyota replaced a lot of rusted out frames no those things, and people still think Toyota can do no wrong. If Dodge ever had a problem like that, you'd never hear the end of it.

Whatever engine or transmission you get, make DAMN SURE YOU GET THE 3.92 REAR END.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You cant get the 3.92 rear with the v6, only the 3.21 and 3.55.

I have the Pentastar in my truck and love it. 2014 crew cab, 2wd, 3.55 gears, I average about 22 mpg every fill up. I've had no issues out of my truck, runs like a champ.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have two Pentastars also.... 40K on my RAM 1500 and 25K on the Dodge Caravan. I researched the topic extensively before buying them in 2016. The differences in modern manufactured automobiles is nothing like the disparity in the past. Modern manufacturing methods have largely leveled the playing field. I'm going to drive mine until it drops and I'm expecting in excess of 300K miles out of it.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Please do some additional research on this v6 pentastar. I recall seeing lots of threads with issues for this engine.

Id stick with tacoma or tundra

Well I've heard that the Tacomas suck now. And Tundras.

Stay away from Toyota, too much money and not the value they used to be.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
And one quick jab at the hemi guys, they may have more power than us, but we don't have to worry about broken manifold bolts.
This is true. However, I recall reading multiple threads that pentastar has its own specific major issues, and isn't bulletproof at all. I'm just too lazy to research again to post here.

I wish that pentastar was reliable as I would gladly give up power for reliability and fuel efficiency.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My brother in law just bought a new tacoma. Looks good, but man was I unimpressed with the ride as well as the seating position. You basically have to sit with your legs straight out in front of you the whole time. Motor seemed to hesitate the whole time requiring lots of pedal. I bet you’ll enjoy the ram with the pentastar. I rented one last year and was impressed with how smooth and responsive it was for a v6.