Remote oil filter how-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hope it helps? I used them on mine but I cant recall 9
Other than an AN to npt fittingfd6341b831d80a29fa5248d639193eda.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I think most kits use a 1/2"NPT to AN adapter nipple though Chris.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think most kits use a 1/2"NPT to AN adapter nipple though Chris.
Yes 1/2 is correct I was just googling for the part type honestly didnt pay attention to the 3/4 but ya its 1/2 on the transdapt kit

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes 1/2 is correct I was just googling for the part type honestly didnt pay attention to the 3/4 but ya its 1/2 on the transdapt kit

Thx men, I bought that size just now. Just have to go do it now...... MAGA. Lock the RAGGEDY ***** up already, oops that just slipped out.

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If anyone is using AN fittings, you do not have to use anything on the threads. they are desighned
to be used dry. don't be a torque monster on the fittings either, just good and snug. the 37* taper is the seal.
You can use thread sealer on the NPT to AN fittings, into the adopter bases.

Dave
Just a thought about different metals and what they do next to each other. MAGA

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
She would like everything towed in 1 trip! I am not comfortable with that.

I've been married 31 years,i know what you're up against,lol.Women,gotta luv em,but they'll drive a man to drink at times:roflsquared:

Sounds like it'll be a nice set-up when you're done Syn,looking forward to some pic's down the road.[/QUOTE]

"yes dear"!:insane:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hows it holding up now? Any pics or part numbers?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So Far not a drop

ENGINE SIDE:
Perma-Cool Dual Port Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter 3798
568-912V -12 Boss Viton O-ring
568-230V 2 1/2" Viton O-ring
2x RaceFlux 1/2" Male NPT to -10AN Male Flare Adapter Fitting
2x Redhorse Performance -10 45 Degree AN Push Lock Hose End - Blue
2X Gates 32925 PowerGrip Hose Clamp

REMOTE MOUNT:
Earl's Engine Oil Filter Remote Mount 2577ERL
FRAM PH2/FL-820S to PH8A/XG8A Engine Oil Filter Mount Converter Nipple
2X 2 of Aeroquip FBM1514 Size (10) Straight Socketless Hose End
2X Gates 32925 PowerGrip Hose Clamp
3 metric screws (size 8 i think)
3 Nord-Lock Washers

HOSE:
Aeroquip FCN1006 AQP Socketless Hose 6 ft. Hose -10AN Hose
DEI Fireshield, leftover from a turbo project.

Things to note:
I didn't want to do this again so everything is NHSA approved brands.
I got new o-rings because Permacool provides Nitrile. Nitrile has operating temps of (–40 to +210 °F).
Viton has operating temps of (-15°F to +400°). Our engines run over 200°.
I hate hose clamps and are not necessary, but I used Gates Powergrip for appearance and assurance.
I changed the thread of the remote mount to maintain OEM filter sizes. This will make my life easier.
I tapped the frame to mount the remote. Used Loctire and Nord-Lock as additional locking features.
I did not use Teflon tape, I used Mopar anaerobic gasket maker. Expensive but works for pneumatics, hydraulics and rear main seals :).
Coolant lines get in the way. I used F4 tape to reduce abrasion till I can do better.
Parts do not come black. I had to powdercoat them.

Photos of old and new setup https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jwtARavqMtyPnHz2

NdXUrpJ6tBW27yd1zn3JMJzJwFlWE6DJd-tf=w1646-h926-no.jpg
kcTysgiAH7S7LuF4BuFuXWud2WNGkmosRTbf=w1646-h926-no.jpg ehdjks4omHjRA_CX88xIe7hKGjjsykrTtD3A=w1646-h926-no.jpg jaOSy-liYF4qZtTco3Hu6gMayl8qUh6yjXQ9=w1646-h926-no.jpg YbVfyz_azsoY65F_pdVNbcUq8EbazT0N2NIG=w1646-h926-no.jpg

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Alright, so finished up the oil filter relocation kit, I was getting angry about getting oil all over my rack and front cross member every time I change the oil, the filter's also a PITA to get to so I wanted an easier place to get at. I know there's lots of tricks to getting the filter off without any mess but the location is still a PITA and I change the oil very regularly with my setup so I want simple and easy. It was pretty straightforward to install, tool requirements were very minimal: a drill, 5/16 drill bit, ratchet with socket (or flat head screwdriver bit), and a crescent wrench (or proper sized box-end).

I used the Tansdapt 1127 remote filter kit, it's not listed for the Ram, but the filter kit works perfectly since we have a 22mm x 1.5 thread pitch with a 2 1/2" ID filter flange. I got my kit from Jegs for $70, very reasonable price I think.

3ShXzJR.jpg

Now, the kit comes with all the hoses and fittings to install everything except the teflon tape for the threaded fittings. Since I'm a stickler for how it looks as well as how it functions, I changed out the brass fittings for some 90 deg -10AN fittings and some Hose Candy hose wrap to clean it up for a better looking install. If you don't care about looks as much, the install is the exact same, just use the supplied brass fittings instead of the -AN fittings.

tSaobzQ.jpg

I installed the remote filter base vertically on the passenger's side inner frame rail but it can be installed horizontally as well with no issues if you want a cleaner install with the brass fittings. I made a paper template of the filter holes and transferred it onto the frame rail then drilled the 5/16" holes and used the ratchet to tighten it to the frame using the supplied screws. I tightened the 1/2" NPT to -10AN fittings into place before installation because of how close I wanted it to the radiator. 90 deg fittings in place just for clearance testing

O2suhMj.jpg

Then I installed the filter by-pass base onto the block's oil filter mount. This just threads into place, the instructions say that if it doesn't thread on all the way that a few threads will need to be cut off the factory nipple, but this wasn't required. They say to just tighten it as a normal oil filter, but I did take my filter wrench to it to get it the last full turn since there's less to grab compared to a normal filter.

cMjxUpW.jpg

Both the bypass base and the remote base are labelled for the hoses IN/OUT so it's not hard to set it up, but I still managed to do screw it up the first time.

26KCsZF.jpg

I attached one set of fittings to one end of the supplied hoses, I then attached the hoses to the bypass base and laid them out to get the proper length, marked them and cut them. I then installed the hose wrap and the other set of fittings.

9W9Oy5b.jpg

Install the OUT hose from the bypass base to the IN on the remote base, and the OUT from the remote base to the IN on the bypass base. So easy I managed to screw it up, I know.

Rn6FQWA.jpg

RqyJskJ.jpg

Phq1azO.jpg

After all is said and done, I installed a new RP oil filter. It should be noted that the remote base does not use the standard Dodge 22mm x 1.5 oil filter, it uses the more common 3/4"-16 filters which happen to be cheaper too.

8H8bm6f.jpg

lmf0dXp.jpg

Once it was all installed, I fired up the truck, had zero oil pressure because I'm an idiot. Swapped the hoses on the remote filter base and retried, oil pressure jumped right up and all was good with the world. Once I shut it down after running for a while, I checked for leaks, had none, topped up the engine oil as required. My oil changes will now need 7-8 quarts instead of the normal 7 to account for the additional hoses and filter volumes.

Will someone tell me what the two posts on front of frame behind/under radiator are for?
Can I hang a bracket off the passenger side under radiator and behind the front bumper for the oil filter relocation assy on it?
Is it used for some type of maintenance/alignment? Potential OFRK Remote install.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will someone tell me what the two posts on front of frame behind/under radiator are for?
Can I hang a bracket off the passenger side under radiator and behind the front bumper for the oil filter relocation assy on it?
Is it used for some type of maintenance/alignment? View attachment 182437
I believe you are talking about where the tow hook mounts
6B332C31-2EF6-4A7C-9601-26AFF44ACDA7.jpeg

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I got started today. I'm waiting on AN10 Black SS tubing. I installed the Remote Base today. I installed with some 1/4"x28 x 1 /1/4" SS Bolts and Chinese lock nuts. I'm gonna use 90 degree AN10 fittings on the Relocation base and 45 degree AN10 fittings on the bypass base. Just waiting........ While I'm waiting here U go!

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around looking for valuables, and when he picked up a VCR to place in his sack, a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying, "Jesus is watching you."

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight out and froze.

When he heard nothing more after a bit, he shook his head, promised himself a long vacation after his next big score, then clicked the light back on and began searching for more valuables.

Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard, "Jesus is watching you."

Freaked out, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot...

"Did you say that?" he hissed at the parrot.

"Yep," the parrot confessed, then squawked, "I'm just trying to warn you."

The burglar relaxed. "Warn me, huh? Who the heck are you?"

"Moses," replied the bird.

"Moses?" the burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a parrot Moses?"

The bird promptly answered, "Probably the same kind of people that would name a 140 pound Rottweiler Jesus."

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Oil Fil;ter Relocation Base Close up.PNG
I got started today. I'm waiting on AN10 Black SS tubing. I installed the Remote Base today. I installed with some 1/4"x28 x 1 /1/4" SS Bolts and Chinese lock nuts. I'm gonna use 90 degree AN10 fittings on the Relocation base and 45 degree AN10 fittings on the bypass base. Just waiting........ While I'm waiting here U go!

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around looking for valuables, and when he picked up a VCR to place in his sack, a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying, "Jesus is watching you."

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight out and froze.

When he heard nothing more after a bit, he shook his head, promised himself a long vacation after his next big score, then clicked the light back on and began searching for more valuables.

Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard, "Jesus is watching you."

Freaked out, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot...

"Did you say that?" he hissed at the parrot.

"Yep," the parrot confessed, then squawked, "I'm just trying to warn you."

The burglar relaxed. "Warn me, huh? Who the heck are you?"

"Moses," replied the bird.

"Moses?" the burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a parrot Moses?"

The bird promptly answered, "Probably the same kind of people that would name a 140 pound Rottweiler Jesus."
View attachment 182702 View attachment 182702

Oil Fil;ter Relocation Base Close up.PNG

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the transadapter kit and when I started the engine oil was pouring from the block adapter. Shut it off, removed the 10 AN lines and tightened the adapter some more. Topped off the oil, started it again and still pouring out. Couldn't see where it was leaking from, there was a lot of oil! Shut it off, removed the oil lines and bench tested them with an air setup and a gauge, they held solid at 70 psi with no leaks. So it must be the engine block adapter O-ring. I took it off and installed my old filter, then topped it off again, to be dealt with on another day. I think the O-ring must have been improperly seated, or possibly didn't thread on enough to make the oring seal? If anyone had a similiar problem let me know. The kit does state that there could be a possibility that the adapter won't thread on enough to make a seal without removing a few threads from the original filter site. I couldn't find any posts where anyone actually had this issue. Man that would be a real chore to correct. Next time I guess I could install the adapter and plug the ports, start it up and make sure that seal is made, a temporary straight thru without a filter. It really hurts to see Redline oil pouring out on the floor.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Measure your threads on the truck then measure the thread depth on the adapter. Mine fit with about 1/4” of thread depth left on the adapter. Made sure your o-ring wasn’t pinched or squished out? Made sure it seated flat? My first filter mount would not seal properly. Tried multiple filters but the threaded fitting was messed up. Swapped it and didn’t have any issues after.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just installed the transadapter kit and when I started the engine oil was pouring from the block adapter. Shut it off, removed the 10 AN lines and tightened the adapter some more. Topped off the oil, started it again and still pouring out. Couldn't see where it was leaking from, there was a lot of oil! Shut it off, removed the oil lines and bench tested them with an air setup and a gauge, they held solid at 70 psi with no leaks. So it must be the engine block adapter O-ring. I took it off and installed my old filter, then topped it off again, to be dealt with on another day. I think the O-ring must have been improperly seated, or possibly didn't thread on enough to make the oring seal? If anyone had a similiar problem let me know. The kit does state that there could be a possibility that the adapter won't thread on enough to make a seal without removing a few threads from the original filter site. I couldn't find any posts where anyone actually had this issue. Man that would be a real chore to correct. Next time I guess I could install the adapter and plug the ports, start it up and make sure that seal is made, a temporary straight thru without a filter. It really hurts to see Redline oil pouring out on the floor.

Think I read somewhere there was an update to the blocks filter fitting,and the later version is longer,so i'm guessing CK94 is right,you might be bottomed out on the threads.The block adapter should unscrew so you could trim it on a bench.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Think I read somewhere there was an update to the blocks filter fitting,and the later version is longer,so i'm guessing CK94 is right,you might be bottomed out on the threads.The block adapter should unscrew so you could trim it on a bench.
Interesting... I had the transdapt kit on my 2010...and was going to install on my 16...could you not just replace the thread in adapter for the filter to the bolt with the older style?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting... I had the transdapt kit on my 2010...and was going to install on my 16...could you not just replace the thread in adapter for the filter to the bolt with the older style?

Probably,but I think you'd need to hunt up the older adapter fitting from a wrecker etc.,as it's my understanding if you buy a new adapter fitting from the dealer,they are the updated longer fitting now,even if ordered for an earlier truck

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Probably,but I think you'd need to hunt up the older adapter fitting from a wrecker etc.,as it's my understanding if you buy a new adapter fitting from the dealer,they are the updated longer fitting now,even if ordered for an earlier truck
I wonder why theyd change it but good to know... I may still attempt to just install it the way it is and see if I run into the same issue...with hopes I wont

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder why theyd change it but good to know... I may still attempt to just install it the way it is and see if I run into the same issue...with hopes I wont

Supposedly there was a leak issue with the short versions ,apparently there wasn't enough thread engagement to seal and keep the filter tight on some filters

Last edited:

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would be the best way to remove the metric thread nipple without damaging the threads on it should I determine that it needs to be trimmed a bit? It is possible that the O-ring had squished out as suggested in the post above. I knew better but I did not take pains to make sure it was evenly seated, and I should have used a light grease to hold it uniformly in place. Believe me when I get back into it I will go down the checklist of all the possible problems you guys have mentioned.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would be the best way to remove the metric thread nipple without damaging the threads on it should I determine that it needs to be trimmed a bit? It is possible that the O-ring had squished out as suggested in the post above. I knew better but I did not take pains to make sure it was evenly seated, and I should have used a light grease to hold it uniformly in place. Believe me when I get back into it I will go down the checklist of all the possible problems you guys have mentioned.
The nipple is part of the oil cooler housing. I’m going to guess the nipple there is not to long but more of a seating issue with the adapter. Either not sitting flat or the o ring. In order to pull the nipple you would have to pull the oil cooler off.