Remote start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rico31286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

2012 Ram 1500 ST
I recently just started having issues were my remote start doesn't work. When I double click the fob the horn beeps once and nothing else happens. I have tried pressing the buttons slower, faster, and from different distances but nothing fixes the issue.

The problem started shortly but not immediately after I tried to disable the horn chirp when locking the doors using the key fob. I don't have an evic. This was not successful either. I followed the simple manual instructions but the truck wouldn't cooperate so I gave up and unplugged the horns. The remote start was still working and worked for several days after. I verified this right after, several times to make sure I did not screw anything up.

I read online that the remote start won't work if some things aren't working, no mention of horns disabling the remote start when unplugged. I plugged the horns back in and made sure they were secured but still no success with the remote start.

I'm hoping this is a simple fix and maybe I just disabled something via the key fob with all my attempts.

Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Low fuel or other error codes prevent it from starting remotely. Do you have any other codes or issues with the truck right now ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since the horns were unplugged, might have a stored code that needs to be erased. I would try disconnecting the battery cables for about 5, 10 minutes, drain any capacitors, reconnect the cables and try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It also sounds like one of those common pain in the ass processes to disable that so it’s possible you aren’t doing the sequence correctly. Just like every time I’ve went to turn that annoying seatbelt reminder thing off, I’ve never had the pleasure to successfully get it done the first time. lol.

OP
OP
R

Rico31286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will try to unplug the battery this weekend or take my truck to get the codes checked out. Thank you

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the hood pin, I know it can caused problems with the factory remote.

OP
OP
R

Rico31286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I unplugged the battery today for 20 minutes and it did not fix the issue. I do not have any codes showing up on the dash but I have to have it checked yet with the machine. I'll double check the hood pin in case when I unplugged the horn I hit something by accident. I also tried my spare fob in case I had accidentally messed my fob when trying to disable the chirp but no luck either.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Low fuel or other error codes prevent it from starting remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2014 will start briefly in these situations and then shut off after 3-5 seconds. Not sure if it's different in 2012.

JamesSoltis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is the fix something that I can do or must it be taken to the "pain in the ass" dealer to clear the codes?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the fix something that I can do or must it be taken to the "pain in the ass" dealer to clear the codes?

Should just be able to take it to your local parts store that does free diagnostic checks. They can retrieve codes and clear them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963