Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I want to put a remote start in my 08 Dodge ram this year. I found the Fortin kit and it seems like it would be pretty cheap, and easy to install. But I also read that every Ram comes factory with remote start, you just have to bring it to the dealer to have it programmed/activated. Any insight on this?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The remote start on an 08 works over the can bus system, so while it may be possible to have it flashed to add this functionality, by the time you pay for the reflash, a new key, and any additional parts to make the factory remote start work (hood switch for example) you are going to have a very expensive, very basic, and very short range remote start.

I've never even heard of fortin so I can't comment on their kits. As far as installing one, on any car it is never really an "easy" job especially on more modern vehicles like your truck. You need to have a good knowledge of wiring, relays, diodes, disassembling the vehicle, how to interface with data systems etc. They're not just a plug and play type thing.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
I bought my remote start kit off of eBay for like $140. It was plug and play into the ignition switch off the column. I just hit my lock button 3 times and it fires up. Hit it 3 more times and it shuts off. I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to run to be able to drive the truck. Love it though, had it for almost 4 years now. I'll see if I can find the link.

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I bought my remote start kit off of eBay for like $140. It was plug and play into the ignition switch off the column. I just hit my lock button 3 times and it fires up. Hit it 3 more times and it shuts off. I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to run to be able to drive the truck. Love it though, had it for almost 4 years now. I'll see if I can find the link.
That would be awesome man. Is it the CHRT5?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes there are plug and play versions available. Directed used to make one called the DBALL but they use your factory remote and are limited to the factory remote's range. I thought you were looking for a new system.