Removing gooseneck ball... how???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Man, these questions are really highlighting my newbieness, but... I checked for a latch, a pin, and tried to unscrew it out. No joy? What ultra-obvious thing am I missing???

2017-12-26 13.58.06.jpg

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a cap, you see where it is separate pieces, you can also see where your fingers can grab it on both sides. That part should lift up and twist 90 degrees so its up and out of the groove. Then Pull straight up. Sometimes they get a little stubborn, pull up and it should slide out with some persistence.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also, make sure there isn't a latch release in the rear driver's side wheel well.

OP
OP
Outlaw Pilot

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There is a cap, you see where it is separate pieces, you can also see where your fingers can grab it on both sides. That part should lift up and twist 90 degrees so its up and out of the groove. Then Pull straight up. Sometimes they get a little stubborn, pull up and it should slide out with some persistence.

It doesn't seem that mine is a lever at all. Neither side can be moved at all either singularly or together. It's completely immobile.

OP
OP
Outlaw Pilot

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That definitely looks like mine. But the latch doesn't move at all. In fact, there's no play in the ball in the least. When attempting to jiggle it in place it doesn't move in the least.

OP
OP
Outlaw Pilot

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I used a screwdriver and hammer to free the lever. It was gummed up with grease. I sprayed with WD-40 and now the lever seems to be lifting okay. But the rest is seized. I don't think the bearings retracted with the lever up and I still can't move the ball at all. I've sprayed liberally with WD-40 and taken the hammer to it to no avail.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup if the bearings down there are seized up. Coat it with your penatrator of choice, unlock the pin on top, grab that motha with both hands, and pull hard and fast. You know this isnt going as planned as an explanation. You gotta get enough force to pop those locked up bearing free.

OP
OP
Outlaw Pilot

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I took it to a garage thinking they'd have more know-how and confidence than me. I wait a bit and the service receptionist comes out and asks me if I can leave it overnight so they can soak it in oil "since the nuts are seized." Um, nuts??? So I check with the mechanic and he's thinking of moving the exhaust and removing the whole huge and heavy towing base?!?!?!?

So a few minutes of explaining what I was looking for more clearly I go to the waiting room again and start hearing "clang, clang." A little nervous, but hopeful. In about 10 minutes he appears with ball in hand. Some heavy sledging (and not towing package removal) was all that was necessary.

Although I think I loosened the jar a little with that shot of PB Blaster I gave it earlier thanks to my fellow forum-goers!
wink.gif

Anthony

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yup if the bearings down there are seized up. Coat it with your penatrator of choice, unlock the pin on top, grab that motha with both hands, and pull hard and fast. You know this isnt going as planned as an explanation. You gotta get enough force to pop those locked up bearing free.
It's funny you say that because I thought it was going great!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Liquid wrench is amazing.