Removing torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm trying to remove the torsion bar from the lower control arm. I already have most of the suspension unhooked and the keys are already unloaded completely. My problem is I can't get the torsion bar out of the lower control arm, it's either rusted in or frozen. Since I can't get the bar moving, I also can't take the key off the end of the bar, it's caught in between the crossmember. So is the bar supposed to be pushed into the control arm first to remove the key, then take it out the back, or take out of the arm first?

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I recently took mine out but I've forgot how to do it exactly. If I remember correctly it unloaded the keys and had to hammer around were the bar goes into the control arm. Don't remember what I had to do next. I just now for a fact that bar was not coming out without a hammer lol. Also I know for a fact the torsion bar has to come out first then the key and control arm can come out.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
A hammer worked. I supported the lower control arm at a certain height that left the key hanging down out of the cross member. Then I smacked it real hard up towards the crossmember, basically in the opposite direction of the normal load. That was enough to pop it loose from the control arm. I figured that out like 5 minutes after I posted haha

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Haha no problem. When I was taking mine out it was so stuck in there I was sure the bolt going through the control arm was holding the torsion bar in lol.