Replace towing mirrors with regular mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a pre-owned Ram that came with towing mirrors, but I don't really do much towing - only a small popup camper that I can pretty much see past without any special mirrors.

What I like about the towing mirrors is that there's really no blind spot at all - the outer convex mirror gives me full coverage of the next lane, and I can see all the way down both sides of the truck, which is kind of nice.

What I DON'T like about the towing mirrors is that they are F-ing huge. I'm always afraid I'm going to rip one of them off on a tree or utility pole (narrow streets around here), or tag the car next to me in a parking lot.

So I've looked into replacing them with the standard mirrors. Mopar wants like $600 EACH, which is ludicrous, but I can buy a pair from a salvage yard for a couple hundred. And if I sell the towing mirrors, I can probably do it for no cost.

Questions:

1. How hard are they to replace? I'm guessing I just have to pop off the trim piece on the door and remove a couple of bolts and an electrical connector? Or is there more to it than that?
  2. Will I miss the towing mirrors once they're gone? I do like the view they provide, I just wish they didn't stick out so far. How are the standard mirrors for blind spot mitigation? Should I just keep the towing mirrors and learn to deal with the extra width?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a pre-owned Ram that came with towing mirrors, but I don't really do much towing - only a small popup camper that I can pretty much see past without any special mirrors.

What I like about the towing mirrors is that there's really no blind spot at all - the outer convex mirror gives me full coverage of the next lane, and I can see all the way down both sides of the truck, which is kind of nice.

What I DON'T like about the towing mirrors is that they are F-ing huge. I'm always afraid I'm going to rip one of them off on a tree or utility pole (narrow streets around here), or tag the car next to me in a parking lot.

So I've looked into replacing them with the standard mirrors. Mopar wants like $600 EACH, which is ludicrous, but I can buy a pair from a salvage yard for a couple hundred. And if I sell the towing mirrors, I can probably do it for no cost.

Questions:

1. How hard are they to replace? I'm guessing I just have to pop off the trim piece on the door and remove a couple of bolts and an electrical connector? Or is there more to it than that?
  2. Will I miss the towing mirrors once they're gone? I do like the view they provide, I just wish they didn't stick out so far. How are the standard mirrors for blind spot mitigation?

They are easy to replace, pull the door panel, unplug, 3 nuts and it's off. I have a set of stock mirrors from my Tradesman that I swapped for Tow Mirrors. $150+ shipping and they are yours!

They are power and heated, no turn signal and no powerfold. They are the normal black color, not painted or chrome.

EDIT: I also have a set of Wadestar Blind spot mirrors I will throw in, which removes all blind spots from the regular mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
https://youtu.be/3qDVGpX3Oqk

Install is cake. Pop off the grommets on the door, remove a screw behind the handle, lift upward, 3 bolts holding the mirror to the door.

I honestly love my tow mirrors. Came from a single cab truck to a crew cab to now a mega cab, so they were practically a necessity for that transition hah I also like their beefy appearance compared to standard mirrors.

That being said I have a paid of power folding, puddle light, auto dimming, etc standard mirrors for sale if you're interested [emoji847]

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That being said I have a paid of power folding, puddle light, auto dimming, etc standard mirrors for sale if you're interested [emoji847]

LoL Damnit! Better mirrors than I got!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
What year and trim level truck are the tow mirrors off of?

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins

LoL Damnit! Better mirrors than I got!

Hah! Didn't see that we were posting basically the exact same thing before I sent that! Your mirrors are probably better suited for his needs though, provided that he doesn't have the power folding function already.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Hah! Didn't see that we were posting basically the exact same thing before I sent that! Your mirrors are probably better suited for his needs though, provided that he doesn't have the power folding function already.

All good brother, no worries. He has options now so that's good. Just here to help.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Man I wish I could upgrade to power folding mirrors.:mad:

I have to fold mine every time I pull into the garage and its a pain with manual fold.

OP
OP
U

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That being said I have a pair of power folding, puddle light, auto dimming, etc standard mirrors for sale if you're interested [emoji847]

What additional hardware would I need to make these work? My current mirrors are powered, heated, with turn signals and puddle lights, but the folding is manual. I assume there's a switch panel and a computer module I'd need to add to make the power folding mechanism work? And maybe a computer flash?

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of chrome standard heat/puddle/signal/auto dim for sale as well if chrome would match your truck. Lemme know if any interest.

CFRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Install is cake. Pop off the grommets on the door, remove a screw behind the handle, lift upward, 3 bolts holding the mirror to the door.

I honestly love my tow mirrors. Came from a single cab truck to a crew cab to now a mega cab, so they were practically a necessity for that transition hah I also like their beefy appearance compared to standard mirrors.

Still available? what color and will they work on my 2011 Ram 1500 Sport? thanks!