Replacing drive shaft in preparation to tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have enough rust on my drive shaft to make me nervous adding a good bit of weight in tow. Shaft may be ok but joint would probably give out. Anything else I should consider/look for? Any other areas that need to be checked out?

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can drive yourself nuts looking at parts or guessing and swapping things out on a preventative basis. Unless there's some performance reason I'd just run with what you have. Maybe post a picture of the rust?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks like normal rust to me. I'd have no problems towing with it.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id drag stuff till it broke, which it likely wont. If you are doing it based on looks, you need a new frame, and suspension parts as well.

OP
OP
Crazyro

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My mechanic highly recommended I get a new one (maybe I shouldn't be surprised hehe)...

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it have any play in it???? Outside appearance doesn't mean anything. The only worry you should have is if it UJoint has abnormal play .

OP
OP
Crazyro

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does it have any play in it???? Outside appearance doesn't mean anything. The only worry you should have is if it UJoint has abnormal play .

Honestly, it feels solid, doesn't have any play in it that I can tell. Truck runs well and strong.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just remember a u-joint will get tight before it gets loose. If you have play when shaking it then it's long beyond gone. Best way to check the entire driveshaft is to remove it and articulate each joint in all directions. It's really not that hard to remove. Only 6 bolts. Just be careful on the carrier bearing bolts, broke one of mine off when replacing the joints in my Mega Cab.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If none of the U joints are loose. Run it.

How much weight do you plan on towing? Big difference between a 4x8 utility trailer and an 8,000 lb tt.

The hitch looks rusty, for $300 or so, I'd change that if your concerned, or just wire brush it and repaint it with rustoleum professional gloss black, if it's still structurally sound. Hard to tell in your photo

OP
OP
Crazyro

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If none of the U joints are loose. Run it.

How much weight do you plan on towing? Big difference between a 4x8 utility trailer and an 8,000 lb tt.

The hitch looks rusty, for $300 or so, I'd change that if your concerned, or just wire brush it and repaint it with rustoleum professional gloss black, if it's still structurally sound. Hard to tell in your photo

The hitch looks worse than the shaft. I may brush it and see how much stuff falls off.

I'm looking at getting a trailer/rv on the shorter side - would like to keep total weight around 5,000 lb or so.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That all appears to be surface rust, nothing that I would worry about. If it really offends you, or you are worried about its structural integrity, I would hit it with a wire brush and scrub off rust until you hit solid metal. From what I am seeing, you will immediately hit solid metal. If you are worried about it being pretty, an hour of brushing and $5 worth of Rustoleum will make it as good as new.

Certainly cheaper than replacing it for cosmetic reasons...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The hitch looks worse than the shaft. I may brush it and see how much stuff falls off.

I'm looking at getting a trailer/rv on the shorter side - would like to keep total weight around 5,000 lb or so.

Good move. Most half ton trucks run out of payload well before you ever hit the manufactures tow rating. Look at the GVWR of the trailer and not it's dry weight.

I'd stay under 6000 GVWR and 25' total length and under if you want some safety margin. Again, just my .02

If you want to know how solid the rusty stuff is yet, start poking it with a screwdriver and you'll find out quick. It should not penetrate it at all.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Tap the worst looking areas with a small ball peen hammer. Easy taps, don't wing on it. If you don't get a nice metallic ping, or if it goes through, replace it.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Rust is a cancer. Cancer will eventually kill, it never gets better.
Im guessing you either love driving your truck in the ocean or salty roads (snow) given by the amount of rust you have on the bottom of your truck.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace your hitch for starters. I've literally seen a hitch snap nearly in half because of rust when a significant amount of weight was placed on the tongue. I'll have to find that picture.

Someone above mentioned that the joints will get tight before breaking and that is absolutely true. They are pretty easy to R&R, I would put new bolts and replace the ones you currently have just so it's nice and fresh and coat it with a rust preventative.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Looks normal, some material is to corrode as it it treated with an acid dip to prevent further corrosion.