Replacing gauge Cluster Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjay9051

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Somehow the clear plastic cover of my gauge cluster (2015 Laramie Limited) has developed a large crack. Dealer says not covered as it is 'wear and tear".

As far as I can find out on line I need to remove bezel and cluster comes out with a simple plug in rear.

It seems that I cannot buy just the clear plastic but need to buy the whole unit at about $500 !!

I thought about finding one in a junkyard but when i plug in the used unit what about the odometer setting?

Looks funny if you go to dealer and vehicle has less miles than previous visit.

Any thoughts?

I considered removing the unit and finding a clear plexi sheet at Home Depot or off a used unit at junkyard but have been told I cannot remove the clear plastic as it is electronically "welded' to cluster.

I don't want to spend $500 but if i did again what about the milage reading of 0 miles on new unit.

Lastly, any computer issues if i unplug old and plug in new/ Will i need dealer to reflash or something like that/

Appreciate the help

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drjay9051

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just as a side note, I believe the speedo is stored in the PCM, not the cluster. I'm curious about it as well though. I don't Think that would change the mileage.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just as a side note, I believe the speedo is stored in the PCM, not the cluster. I'm curious about it as well though. I don't Think that would change the mileage.

Actually, on the 4th Gen trucks it's in the EVIC, which is FCA's term for the gauge cluster. If you change the cluster the new one needs to be programed with the original's millage, run time and idle time. If it's being done at a dealer, they do it (or order the cluster already programed). If you're swapping it yourself there are a couple of places that do the programing. Costs about $200 to have done. But, in the OP's case, easiest is to replace the lens, not the whole cluster.

-K

OP
OP
D

drjay9051

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Again appreciate the help.

So much bad info out there.

I found 3 threads which specifically said I MUST replace entire cluster as plastic alone was not available.

I will contact Benny as suggested. Looks like the clear sheet is attached to a larger assembly with cut outs.

I'm fine with that as long as I'm not in for $500 and then $200 to reprogram.