replacing my old ride but undecided with what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey all
i am in the market for a new truck to replace my 03 hemi. it has 220,*** miles and is getting tired. i have been looking at 2500 crew cab and 1500, and now i am kinda intrested in the eco 1500. i do haul 2 dirt bikes up and down the east coast while racing in the summer. my truck is my daily driver with my commute is around 45 min. any of your input would be great

Thomas Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go 1500 unless you plan on towing heavy. I went from an 04 to a 16 and the jump in technology was mind blowing. I wouldn' by a new one without the big radio I love it.

Sooners89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
You just made me want to get another dirt bike. These damn impulse feels...

But I would go with the 1500, ideal for hauling a couple bikes and won't be as draining on fuel. Plus it's a smoother ride.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would be a bit Leary of the eco. Some have good success, others have enough problems that they trade them as soon as the warranty is out. You might want to test drive the Pentastar engine.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am only going to say this..You owned and drove your current truck for 14-15 years, assuming you are the original owner. You should get WHATEVER you want. Get it loaded and get all you could imagine, because at your rate, you will have it for a LONG time. Only get what you fall in love with, and spare no detail.

OP
OP
cody mummert

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i do think i want the 1500 i am only wondering what kind of mpg they are getting now. my 03 is doing 12 mpg at the moment so anything would be better i am sure

Big K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Before I got my 2500, I had a 2014 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi with 4 corner air ride, and it was the smoothest riding truck I've ever been in. It did the job when pulling my 7000lb camper. As far as MPG goes... If I was nice to it on the interstate I could get close to 20 mpg. My dad has the 2016 ECO and he claims to get 31 mpg, all interstate driving.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I commute 30-45 mins each way in mine. It is a crew cab, Hemi, 4x4 sport and I get just about 20 on the highway, avg 18 or so. Like someone else said, at the price they're selling 2017s for right now, I'd go with the 1500.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1500 sounds like the perfect choice given your needs. Check out the V-6 as it is a healthy power plant and pretty economical with the 8 speed. As many have said, great time to buy right now.

OP
OP
cody mummert

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if drove a 4.7 years ago and i hated it now that was a 07 so im sure alot has changed

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you go with the 1500 get the HEMI with the 8 spd & 3.92 gear set. Great towing package when needed plus with the 8 spd the HWY mileage will be much better than the 12 you are getting now.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go 1500, I owned a 2015 with the Pentastar and traded on my current truck. It's a really good engine and may suit you fine. You will see a vast improvement in fuel consumption with the Hemi and new 8spd over your old truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you go with the 1500 get the HEMI with the 8 spd & 3.92 gear set. Great towing package when needed plus with the 8 spd the HWY mileage will be much better than the 12 you are getting now.
What he said. You're used to poor mileage so you'll get better and a way faster truck. You ride dirt bikes so I assume you prefer your daily has some horsepower. I like my air suspension, but for long term reliability you might prefer coils and some helper air bags in the rear.

OP
OP
cody mummert

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so my truck must know im talking about getting a new ride. it just shut off randomly at a stop light and in the drive way. it didnt give any codes at all just shut off now what?

OP
OP
cody mummert

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so in my searching for a new ride i am finding a few with the center console in some trucks and others with just the arm rest. what is the package with the console?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cody, Haven had had truck for awhile now, but from what I have , guys are getting any where from 1@11 to 13 mpg around town and 17 on the hwy. This is with 6.4. gear ratio would also be a factor.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
so in my searching for a new ride i am finding a few with the center console in some trucks and others with just the arm rest. what is the package with the console?

It's gonna be a Big Horn or a Laramie with the full center console. I believe it's the Big Horn quick order package 26S ($2700 retail) that comes with the center console and quite a few other nice options.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just picked up my '17 Laramie in November. Like said above they're giving '17's away, mine was stickered at $57K and I ended up at a bit over $40K before adding crap. And it's pretty loaded including that center console you mentioned, my sheet lists 26H as the package but honestly can't say what all that includes. And yes you want the Hemi and 3.92 gearing, it moves out right smart! I have the air suspension and love it, but then I'm old and have no intention of lifting it so it's all good.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I was commuting 40 miles each way, I'd consider a Chevy Bolt (or Volt). People who have them are getting extremely low cost per mile ....like 5-10 cents. Get a used truck for when you need it. Something to consider. Maybe the numbers wouldn't work out for you though. And that doesn't get you away from the need (or cost) of a truck.

Are you planning to buy brand new? If so, since you tend keep your trucks for a while, the diesel might be a good option. While it's more costly for the diesel, the higher mileage and general longer life (of a diesel) may be worth it. Plus diesel engines are well suited for longer runs like your commute. Or the Ram V6 may be another worthwile options to consider. In my last search, I looked at smaller trucks and the seating position wasn't all that great. It might be worth at least test driving a Colorado or Toyota to see it they'll work for you. I looked at a couple when I was looking for a new tk and the interior cabin space was noticably smaller, but there might be savings and fuel economy improvements that may make a difference to you. Gust have to try drifferent trucks. Go to a large used car lot and drive newer-ish Fords/GM's and other trucks. Good luck.

Last edited: