Replacing Parking Brake - Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At some point my parking brake started sticking and I roasted the rear brakes. I am planning to replace the pads, rotors, and parking brake shoes tomorrow. I have done pads and rotors many times but I've never done parking brake shoes. I've watched several videos online and I plan to take pics before of both sides before I disassemble.

Is there anything I need to be aware of or other tips/tricks?

Thanks

oh yeah, the high temp is 32F tomorrow :(

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Parking brake shoes? As far as I know you just have the regular disc pads on the rear.

Edit: Damn, I learned something new today! As far as how to do it I have no info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to learn how to replace them just drive around with your parking brake on long enough to toast your rear pads/weld them to the rotor :)

It was much easier than I was expecting, the hardest part was getting the old rotor off.

Gotta learn to always inspect my replacement parts prior to starting a job, when I got the new rotors out to clean them I found that one of them was damaged so I only did one side and am waiting on RockAuto to ship me a new one.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@billa9b0ng did you have to pull your axle(s) to do this or were you able to work around them?
It's a full floating axle so you'd have to pull the axle shafts and the hubs. However you don't have to pull anything it is just a pain to get to everything.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk