RER Nav now has no sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
the other night I went to start my truck to head to work and the battery died due to a phone charger I left plugged in. I threw on the trickle charger and left in my Jeep. 2 days later I fired up my truck and the sound won’t work. I’m running an 07 Laramie 5.9 with a retrofit RER head unit and a lockpick adapter. Unit has been installed for well over a year with no issues.
I have pulled the fuse and let sit for a day and did nothing. Also went to the engineering page and restored to factory default and that didn’t work as well.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have the Infinity system? Check the amp.

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Yes. Infinity speakers but no sub. I Thought everything ran off the head unit.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes. Infinity speakers but no sub. I Thought everything ran off the head unit.

LOL. I said "AMP", not sub. If you have Infinity then you have an amp (unless you removed it). It's under the passenger side of the dash.

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
No I figured the head unit would have enough power for the speakers and the amp would power a sub. That’s where I was going with that lol

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the infinity system has an amp for the door and dash speakers. There’s not much checking you will be able to do at the amp besides making sure everything is plugged in. There are no fuses, buttons, or switches on it. It’s just a box with a bunch of wires going to it lol

You can buy a bypass harness to bypass the factory amp but I don’t believe you can make that work with a factory radio because of the canbus network. I think you need an aftermarket radio to do it.

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I might double check everything by plugging in my factory 6 disc to eliminate other issues to see if it’s the nav.

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I unhooked my Nav and installed my old 6 disc and heard a hum from the speakers. Plugged the Nav back in and for some reason it works again. My clock is still messed up even after doing the factory reset but at least it works

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I unhooked my Nav and installed my old 6 disc and heard a hum from the speakers. Plugged the Nav back in and for some reason it works again. My clock is still messed up even after doing the factory reset but at least it works

Have you previously done the RER clock fix?

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
No I haven’t. Before this happened I did the factory reset and it magically worked. Now it won’t again. I would like to do the update and the clock fix but fear it will total **** up my unit

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the clockfix to my RER, when I installed it. It was fairly painless if I remember. Have you ever found a source for updated maps, that don't cost a fortune? I love my RER, but the GPS maps are out of date, and the nav function is slow and cumbersome overall. I find myself using my phone for nav, most of the time,

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I haven’t looked. Would be nice to have maps updated. I mostly wanted the nav for a backup camera. Don’t really use the Nav at all. I always know where I’m going

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If memory serves they are up to date as of last year/year before, problem is they are keyed to the VIN. I got around this by buying one for the MyGig I put in my Charger, then putting that one in the Magnum and got another one for the Charger and did all the updates to that one.

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Ya I don’t have the vin for the Nav that came out of. Don’t know really how abouts to do the updates

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ya I don’t have the vin for the Nav that came out of. Don’t know really how abouts to do the updates

No, you misunderstand. I take it this is a retrofit? If so, the MyGig will assume the VIN of whatever vehicle it is put into as soon as it communicates with the bus (key on). Are you talking about the software updates or the map updates?

OP
OP
mmmRPM

mmmRPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Yes retrofit and yes talking about both

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes retrofit and yes talking about both

Ok. Like I said, you don't need the VIN for the vehicle it came out of, it will assume your VIN once it gets used. The software updates are all over the internet. Map update you have to buy, you enter your VIN when you buy the disc and it is forever keyed to that VIN.