Restorning an 83

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gothicdavid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1983 Ram 150 that's powered by a 318, along with a four-barrel carb (came from the factory that way, special ordered). I'd like to restore it, but I don't know where to start. I can't find any parts catalogues for it, and I am lost. I aim to keep the original 318, and I want more power. What can I do, and where should I go for parts?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly, the aftermarket never grew too fond of the 1st gen trucks. You're only options are to scour eBay and Craigslist (emphasis on Craigslist.) The LA 318 parts you can from Hughes Engines, last I looked they offered LA engine parts.

Good luck bud, I hope you find the resources you need, and welcome to Ramforum.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

With theses older trucks You've simply got to scrounge and search...Parts are out there, along with folks who still love and restore these old Rams. Getting in with these owners will help you find the parts you need.
JC Whitney used to be a good source for weatherstrip and some paneling.

There's still lots of speed parts and engine pieces for 318s. They're easy to add a bit of power to and simple to work on. However they're hobbled by poor flowing heads and low compression. Don't expect a big boost from everyday bolt ons unless you're really willing to tear into the motor.

oldblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
d250
Engine
im in the same boat as you, i want to keep my 318 and want more power. i started a thread on it in this section and some guys posted some pretty helpful stuff. check it out

directconnection189

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
what type of power are you looking for what price there are tons of options you can do to these LA series motors for under $400 you can get a nice aluminum high rise intake (used), headers and as far as parts look at local junk yards out here they are a dime a dozen sitting around here anyways what parts do you need?

Ironhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is JC WHitney still around? use to be able to find body panels through them

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah they are. They send me emails all the dang time lol

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
Mopar truck parts.com has a lot of NOS parts.

desertben44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
What year 1st gen ram bodyparts interchange?

I would have to agree, probably for lots of power need to go into the motor with a cam, intake, etc.

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
should be able to find performance motor parts from Summit Racing, but youll have to actually get in to the motor and at least do the top end of it (ie cams, intake, carb, maybe heads). As far as restoration, I have an '89 with the 360 that Im restoring as well, good news is there's a lot of interchangeable parts on all year first gens. As stated above junk yards and craigslist are good sources. Also I have found quite a few parts that I plan to order through Rock Auto. There isn't a huge aftermarket for these things, but there is some stuff here and there, it just takes a lot of research.

As far as where to start it really just depends on what condition its in. For example does it run and drive? Is it your daily driver? How bad is the body as far as damage and rust? These are the questions you need to ask yourself so you know where to start.

On mine it runs and drives, but not really well... The motor has a really bad timing knock, intake gasket and rear main seal are leaking, and it smokes bad. On top of that the steering box needs rebuilt and front end gone through because there's a huge amount of play in the front end. Also Im sure the brakes need service and the parking brake cable needs to be adjusted.
When it comes to the body I have some surface rust that has start to pit on the bottom of the passenger door, which I just fixed. I also have some small pencil sized cancer in the bottom bed corners under the bumper. The body does have some good dents and dings, but a day with a dolly hammer set will have it straight.
With all this said I have a 2012 cummins that is my DD so my '89 isn't a dire need to get it perfect right now. however, I did buy is so me and the Fiance' have a second vehicle. So for me I have a block, crank, and heads at a local performance shop getting cleaned up and the machine work done (although its the middle of race season so itll take a couple weeks). And while Im waiting on those things Im getting the electrical, some interior and some body taken care of. Once those motor pieces are done I will focus and getting that 2nd motor built and get it in the truck. Once that is done Ill do the steering, then brakes.

I will then have a solid running truck, at which point I can focus on getting the interior done, then get the body done. Then I can do the suspension.

so for you it is important to ask yourself those questions, sit down go through the truck, make a list of what needs to be done... Broken down in to categories then prioritize those tasks based on your needs whether its a DD or just a project etc. Then as you complete stuff check it off that way your seeing progress and you have somewhat of a plan so its less over whelming