Reverse light LED upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Just bought a set on my lunch break. Hopefully, I can put them in tonight after work. Crossing my fingers that they work great and won't give me a bulb out message.
Where did you get em?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spent a little more than most probably but 6 months now, working great and never any errors. Opt-7 tailgate bar reverse also

20171218_061448.jpg

20171218_061432.jpg

RamAz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the zevo 921 upgrade with the 17’ Express 1500 5.7. The light output seems pretty bright! More than factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamAz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the zevo 921 upgrade with the 17’ Express 1500 5.7. The light output seems pretty bright! More than factory.

302eb63ad07ac9e03397a580ec3d81c8.jpg

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did you get em?

I picked them up at Advanced Auto. They actually had 1 set in stock. Was about to order them through Amazon (which was cheaper), but I have put it off long enough. I had one bulb out and it was becoming a pain trying to back into my parking spot at work in the morning.

Oh, and I'm still getting the bulb out message. But, I have one of the finicky trucks when it comes to LED's. Had some superbright bulbs that were CANBUS and got the message too.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Here is wat the amazon 7440 look like. Not the best shots but they are bright. I can’t spend $80+ on 2 frigin reverse bulbs that’s insane!

250361B9-0AE2-42A2-9944-57A9A0720EDE.jpeg

2FCE0D00-56E9-4111-8837-ABECDA0796C7.jpeg

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first impression of the Zevo 921's were... "meh, they're ok". It's definitely a whiter light, obviously, which I like. But, I'm not sure I'm getting the output that the OP was getting. They are a little brighter than stock, which is always a bonus.

I'm still going to add some LED pods under the bumper and wire them to come on with the reverse lights.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry if I was too casual with my comment on lighting, I assure you that brighter back up bulbs would be difficult to get if you're not working at the lab making but what is brighter than daylight ?

Sent from PDX99v10

'Daylight' refers to color of the light and has nothing to do with brightness. Just like the light outside in the morning has an orange hue (warm white) and at dusk has a bluish hue (cool white), you can get bulbs with those same hues. Daylight refers to the color of the light at midday. But it's certainly not as bright as the midday sun!

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Seen these resistors on amazon. But from what I recall the factory 7440 connectors had 4 wires coming from it. These resistors have only 2 wires and the 7443 has 4 wires.

Any suggestions or thoughts.

TUINCYN 2pcs 50W 8 ohm 7440 7440NA 7441 992 Led Load Resistors - Fix Headlight LED Bulb Fog Lamp Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Light Error Code Canbus Resistors Decoder https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072QCFQLL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6oxoAbTXTN0ZF

Last edited:

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the zevos in all my interior bulbs with success. However, when I did the reverse lights, and license plate bulbs, I got the bulb out message. Its a really annoying message, so I took them out and returned them.

The search continues for a bulb that 100% wont give me the error message. Sick of wasting time and money.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first impression of the Zevo 921's were... "meh, they're ok". It's definitely a whiter light, obviously, which I like. But, I'm not sure I'm getting the output that the OP was getting. They are a little brighter than stock, which is always a bonus.

I'm still going to add some LED pods under the bumper and wire them to come on with the reverse lights.

I'm going to update my thoughts on these lights. After using them for a little bit, they are definitely brighter than the stock lights. My first thoughts were based on backing into my driveway while all of my Christmas lights were on. Not really a good judgement on light output.

In the backup camera, they are much brighter. Looking out of my mirrors, they do seem brighter, but it's still a little hard to tell because of the tinted windows. I'm happy with the light output, for what they are. I'll probably still add some LED pods under the truck, just to do it and see how much light I get from that... basically for fun. I do get a light out message on the cluster, but I've tried 3 different CANBUS bulbs and all of them have given me warnings. It only comes on when I start the truck, so not that big of a deal.

All in all, I'd recommend them.

RamAz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

After having them for a few weeks. They are Meh, a little better but not as bright as I thought they were going to be. The license plate bulbs are definitely only whiter and not brighter. Now I’m wondering if I should spend the money to swap the cargo and be just “meh-ishly” ok just to have matching lights in the rear or say eff it and leave the cargos alone. I’m not spending anymore money on led’s till I see a lot of good reviews from out fellow ram forum members.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok have tried a few different options so far and the only ones that didnt throw a bulb out error (LED tails) were the Morimoto's and they were bright but didnt put the light were i wanted it due to the stupid bulb orientation RAM gave us. the others including the 7440 zevos which were decent still thru a bulb out error. So i am going back to my morimotos and i think i will be adding this!

This should help until im ready to do some real AUX lights

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After having them for a few weeks. They are Meh, a little better but not as bright as I thought they were going to be. The license plate bulbs are definitely only whiter and not brighter. Now I’m wondering if I should spend the money to swap the cargo and be just “meh-ishly” ok just to have matching lights in the rear or say eff it and leave the cargos alone. I’m not spending anymore money on led’s till I see a lot of good reviews from out fellow ram forum members.

I went with a cheap eBay 3rd brake light for about $30. It works pretty good. It’s a semi-smoked clear lenses that blends nicely with my Granite Crystal paint. Doesn’t put that much light into the bed, because the lights are pointed straight back. Brake light is pretty good. For $30 I'm happy with it.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok have tried a few different options so far and the only ones that didnt throw a bulb out error (LED tails) were the Morimoto's and they were bright but didnt put the light were i wanted it due to the stupid bulb orientation RAM gave us. the others including the 7440 zevos which were decent still thru a bulb out error. So i am going back to my morimotos and i think i will be adding this!

This should help until im ready to do some real AUX lights

That looks good. I'm on the fence with these light bars. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. I do like the Amber turn signal. Wish we had Amber turns in our taillights. Never have figured out why the US automakers don't do that. May just be me, though.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks good. I'm on the fence with these light bars. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. I do like the Amber turn signal. Wish we had Amber turns in our taillights. Never have figured out why the US automakers don't do that. May just be me, though.

I'm with you on the looks. My thought is this will be more function than looks for me. I also agree about the Amber. I like amber signals also.

If you want a quote shoot me a message and I'll can provide a discounted price!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500