Review of rough textured grip door sill protectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
All I have to say is great! It’s cold out but 30-40 min with a heat gun and it’s all done. They go for $28 (well I paid $0 bc I had accumulated ebough eBay bucks) on fleabay and stuff is nice, thick rough vinyl and went right on. Doing my driver door I knoticed some scratches already and the truck is only 1 month old.

Really happy with how they turned out and the quality thus far. Worth the extra few bucks over the thinner eBay versions.

Will look even better when u put my Westin HDX drop steps back on.

CBB9CFA5-488F-4EE5-A570-8D46EBB2FB80.jpeg

FD7B0315-2A64-454B-AC3F-599349F4B2B7.jpeg

BE2467C5-C00F-48CC-8C2B-E71201281E71.jpeg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Those look great.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like the coverage on those. Who makes them?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Bought!

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Looked these up on Amazon to see if they were cheaper and saw that they have a LOT of bad reviews. More bad than good. I will be staying away from these.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...r0_B01FYD3BN0?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I read 2 pages of those reviews and I have come to the following...

1.) those people complained mostly about no directions and the lack of alcohol pads. To me thats not a valid reason to devalue the product. To me these are non essentials. And its very simple to figure out. I also have a quart or more of alcohol in the house as well as a box of alcohol prep pads.

2.) next complaint is peeling up. I think this is a valid reason and I personally dont have them on long enough to know yet. But with all vinyl products you have certain things you have to do for it to work well. Just like paint you need alot of good prep work. I have experience with vinyl and know you need heat and a clean surface for it to work well. My guess is is that these people who complain about the prep pads aren't going to have a heat gun or know how to prep the surface.

Mine came with basic instructions, more about prep and heating and not the specific application which is fine. Mine came with correctly cut pieces and it came with a nice hard applicator, alcohol pads and the adhesion promoter. If you clean the surface (clean it good, then use the alcohol to strip it, heat the area and then apply the vinyl while heating). And you should have no problems. But the key too is to head the vinyl as you make the bends so it forms to the curves which would normally make the rigid vinyl to want to pop off.

FWIW I just foam cannon'd the truck and hit it with a powerwasher and got all in the door sill area with the pressure washer and have no issues yet with it peeling.

Last edited:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got some grip tape that looks just like that i put on the bottom of a cargo box to keep it from sleeping around, you can get a roll for 10 bucks at lowes.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I read 2 pages of those reviews and I have come to the following...

1.) those people complained mostly about no directions and the lack of alcohol pads. To me thats not a valid reason to devalue the product. To me these are non essentials. And its very simple to figure out. I also have a quart or more of alcohol in the house as well as a box of alcohol prep pads.

2.) next complaint is peeling up. I think this is a valid reason and I personally dont have them on long enough to know yet. But with all vinyl products you have certain things you have to do for it to work well. Just like paint you need alot of good prep work. I have experience with vinyl and know you need heat and a clean surface for it to work well. My guess is is that these people who complain about the prep pads aren't going to have a heat gun or know how to prep the surface.

Mine came with basic instructions, more about prep and heating and not the specific application which is fine. Mine came with correctly cut pieces and it came with a nice hard applicator, alcohol pads and the adhesion promoter. If you clean the surface (clean it good, then use the alcohol to strip it, heat the area and then apply the vinyl while heating). And you should have no problems. But the key too is to head the vinyl as you make the bends so it forms to the curves which would normally make the rigid vinyl to want to pop off.

FWIW I just foam cannon'd the truck and hit it with a powerwasher and got all in the door sill area with the pressure washer and have no issues yet with it peeling.

Well said, can't just throw 'em on and expect optimal results. Got mine in and they came the same as yours. I put 'em on a shelf and will be waiting for some warm days.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Just wanted to update this thread. Had them installed since JAN 18 and now 5 months later they are still going strong. I had very mild lifting on the front corner of the driver door that pops up but never goes more than 1/4” or so. Can’t help that I power wash the truck and get pretty close. Either way the vinyl pushes back down it hasn’t happened now that it’s been warmer out. Vinyl is also much thicker than regular vinyl so it’s “stiff” which doesn’t allow it to lift anymore. Looks fantastic still and seem like they are well worth there price. I’ve added my HDX drop steps a few months ago and it compliments them well.

Still happy with the purchase!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I got a can of plastidip and hoping that does the trick. I can always re apply when scratched up. My truck has 3 door sills that are scratched. Oddly enough not the driver aside which sees WAY more action than the other three. Apparently people’s feet increase in weight 10 fold when entering exiting a vehicle. I don’t understand why people can’t lift their damn feet

Anyways, if the plasti dip doesn’t work out I know what to get. Thanks for the review and follow up [emoji106]

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Plasti dip might work, but its not nearly as tough. I would suggest possibly doing plastidip and then coating over it with bed liner spray to help. The plasti dip should still let it pull off and not stick to the paint. But you can get a roll of vinyl in any color for cheap and just make a template. Reason I got these was the texture is very grippy which you can't get or cut easily.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Maybe I should weld spikes there. Maybe people will lift their feet lol

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box