RF Gun Club Talk!!!!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by KGBIGCOUNTRY, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DarthMegaHD

DarthMegaHD Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
    Thinking about getting an ISSC scar clone in .22

Also want to trade my Springfield mod2 for the new sig p365, even though I love the mod2

2. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Pops and I split for a pistol purchase for my mom as a birthday present. After browsing, she affixed to a a two-tone 9mm Ruger P95. Bought 200 rounds of ammo and ended up firing over 150 of 'em. Absolutely no problems. After reading, turns out the P95 is pretty well-regarded as a reliable workhorse, but Rugers in general are goodly so I'd say she chose well. Having never fired a pistol larger than .22, I was surprised how light the recoil was. Honestly, I didn't think it was any heavier than a .22 Magnum six gun that I shot quite a while ago.

After some time, we ended up bringing out the .22's after discovering that we had a crap ton of ammo for them and I brought out my 870, which I affectionately refer to as the cannon. Fired a dozen or so of my 3" sluggers and was promptly remembered as to how much thump they have. Good thing I got that cushy aftermarket stock or it might have hurt, LOL. Fired a couple when it started getting dark and laughed at the friggin' huge muzzle flash. Scored a new rifled barrel a couple months back but have yet to get some proper sabot ammo for it. Probably gonna score some Brenneke Magnum Crush to sling through it. 1.5 oz slug, 3" shell, 3,000+ lbs of muzzle energy. Mmm... I really need to get off my ass, practice up, take hunter's safety and score a license so I can legally nab a whitetail or two.

In short, shootin' stuff's fun.

3. MADDOG

MADDOG Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    I had a P85 9mm back in the day. It's one of the handguns I wish I hadn't sold.

Fitz87gn likes this.
  4. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    how have i not known about this thread until just now?!?!? its like i found a hidden club :bowroflwerd6:

Fitz87gn likes this.
  5. ScottFL

ScottFL Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7

She made a good choice, unlike all of the new models the P95 does not have a magazine disconnect. I quit buying Rugers other than the 22's because of it.

The P95 is a chunky piece and not well suited to concealment but for plinking or a nightstand gun, it will serve her well.

Fitz87gn likes this.
  6. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Yeah, when mom was browsing the guns, the owner, seeing that she was, well, a woman, immediately suggested the compact-frame pieces. She, having relatively large hands and preferring "bigger" guns, immediately shunned the suggestions, much to the humor of dad and I.

I took a concealed carry course a couple weeks back and should be getting my permit in the mail within a few days. Haven't quite decided what I'm going to go with yet, though I'm leaning on a Smith and Wesson Shield. Pretty cheap and seem to be pretty revered in the concealed carry world. I like the H&K USP but whoowee, do you pay for those! They got a Walther PPK/S and I really like the style but they only offer it in .22. There is a gun made by Bertha with the exact same style but chambered in .380. A lot cheaper too but it's Argentinian-made and I'm a little leery...

I'm not entirely opposed to a snub-nose wheelgun either and a snub-nose .38 Special is damn near cheaper than dirt. .38 Special has long since been overshadowed by 9mm but you can't say much against a round that has been depended upon and still used for many decades. It won't do much against a foe in body armor but I've always figured that if your assailant is wearing body armor, you better have a hell of a lot more than a pistol anyway.

7. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Well, went down to the spot today to nab a pistol. After looking around and giving some thought, I decided on a Beretta 92FS. A little large for concealed carry but I always liked the model and just couldn't really turn my eyes away from it. Just for fun, I checked out a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 Magnum with an 8" barrel. Holy ****, that thing is huge. It wasn't nearly as heavy as I thought it would be but I'll bet it kicks real heavy, LOL. The rubber combat grip did feel pretty good in the hand. I also spotted a .50 AE Desert Eagle and also laughed at how huge it was. I swear, the thing is twice the size of my Beretta and costs twice as much, even in it's used condition. Has anyone here had any experience with one of those?

Also...

Is that a Sea Whiz? My old man served a stint on the USS Valley Forge (RIP) which had one. He said it sounded like a large chain being dragged across a metal plate when it fired. Computer-controlled 20mm gatling gun. Mmm...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    UnsatFC likes this.
  8. UnsatFC

UnsatFC Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Yes that’s CWIS. One of the two mounts on CVN70 USS CARL VINSON. The way your old man (RIP) described it is spot on. It’s even more fun when you’re in the control space or even when you’re standing directly behind it as safety observer. Nothing like a 1-2 second burst.

9. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Oh, I think my wording was a little confusing. The old man's still alive and well but the old guided missile cruiser was sunk in a sinking exercise long ago. Too bad because the way he described it, it sounded like a pretty awesome ship (her Aegis-class armaments sounded nothing short of badass).

I just now realized that "Valley Forge" has been given to several US ships. Pop's ship was CG-50.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018